• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tomkins Building, Canal Side, Spring Hill

golgiapp

Brummie babby
The 1871 census reveals that my Great Great Grandparents, John & Ann Moseley (née Darley) and their family resided at the Tomkins Building on Canal Side in the All Saints/Spring Hill area of the city. They must still have been living there in 1881 (alas, I can find no trace of the 1881 census record for them) because John died there on the 4th March 1887. By 1891 the rest of the family had moved on to Camden St.
All my attempts to find any information about or images of the Tomkins Building and its exact location have proved fruitless. Can any of you help me out at all? Many thanks!
Martin

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. You may already have this information, looking at the 1971 census and the entries focussed around the Vine PH the most likely position is as shown on the map. It may be possible with later censuses to pinpoint it more accurately, I will have a look.

Incidentally on the 1950s map Blews Street West is renamed as Rosebery Street.

Attachments

• blews-st-west-map.jpg
    blews-st-west-map.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 16
  • blews-st-west.jpg
    blews-st-west.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 16
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. You may already have this information, looking at the 1971 census and the entries focussed around the Vine PH the most likely position is as shown on the map. It may be possible with later censuses to pinpoint it more accurately, I will have a look.

Incidentally on the 1950s map Blews Street West is renamed as Rosebery Street.
Thanks so much for this. Don't know why I hadn't thought to look at the preceding page of the census before. Doh! Do let me know if you manage to uncover further info.

Alfred Tomkins is listed at Tomkins Buildings (coincidence ?) in 1871. He is still there in 1891, listed at no. 3.

He doesn't seem to be on the 1881 census either.

There are 2 families of Tomkins living with your GG grandparents in the Tomkins Building, on the rates register for 1901 it says Rosebery Street cross Camden Street so I think it narrows the location to the area as shown.

Attachments

• rosebery-st.jpg
    rosebery-st.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 9
  • tomkins-building-1871.jpg
    tomkins-building-1871.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 7
Alfred Tomkins is listed at Tomkins Buildings (coincidence ?) in 1871. He is still there in 1891, listed at no. 3.

He doesn't seem to be on the 1881 census either.
I fear the relevant pages of the 1881 census may be amongst those that are missing, now lost for whatever reason. Alas!

There are 2 families of Tomkins living with your GG grandparents in the Tomkins Building, on the rates register for 1901 it says Rosebery Street cross Camden Street so I think it narrows the location to the area as shown.
Wow, this is so helpful. I think you may well be correct in your conclusion. Many thanks indeed for all your detective work. I wonder if these buildings were ever photographed... and in what year they were demolished?

Looking at the maps of 1889, Early 1900s, and 1950s, it looks as though this area was being demolished which may account for no entries on the 1881 census.

Attachments

• canalside.jpg
    canalside.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 5
Looking at the maps of 1889, Early 1900s, and 1950s, it looks as though this area was being demolished which may account for no entries on the 1881 census.
Fascinating! There's no sign of him or his family at all in the 1881 census despite his death certificate proving he was still there in 1887. I seem to remember doing a street search of the census a while back and that part of Canal Side was nowhere to be found. I know some pages from some censuses have not survived for whatever reason so I fear this may be one of those cases.

Back