• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

thomas frederick harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc

master brummie
hi all
does anyone know of any info regarding thomas frederick harris born 1903 from birmingham father samuel harris mother harriet harris nee clement his spouse was called and flora owen
kind regards :acne:

On the 1911 census there is a Samuel 1860 and Harriet Harris 1860 living in Birmingham with 6 children but no Thomas Frederick.. There is in the death columns a Thomas Harris born 1904 died 1904 obviously a stillborn

I don't think stillborns were registered in the same way as live children if at all.

What type of info are you looking for?

Thomas Frederick Harris baptism...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1Q9-JQ6

Death registered Bromsgrove Jun 1980

Possibly him living at 117 Church Lane, Aston with widowed mother and sister, Florence.

not sure if this will help but i have a still born cert here dated 1935 loveday st hospital so i am only assuming that still borns were registered

lyn

Thomas was baptised on 20 May 1903 at St James' Ashted, his date of birth is given as 5 May 1903, parents Samuel and Harriett Harris, address 46 Woodcock Street, father's occupation is given as Hawker.

There is a marriage on Free BMD June quarter 1925 Dudley 6b 2067 between Thomas Frederick Harris and Flora Owen.

Samuel Harris married Harriet Clements in 1879

unable to find them in 1881

1891 139 Great Brook Street

Samuel 32
Harriet 30
Ellen 12
James Samuel 9 (born Spitalfields , London)
Leah 7
Harriet 6
Ada 4
William 3
Rose 7 weeks

1901 46 Woodcock street.

Samuel 42
Harriet 40
Samuel 19 b London, Dean street.
Leah 17
Harriet 16
Ada 15
William 13
Gertrude 7
Floremce 1

Samuel Harris died in 1908 age 47

1911 117 Church street.
Harriet age 50 widow
Florence 11
Thomas 7.

My Aunt was a twin but the other baby died, it was in 1911. Mr. Yates at the Birmingham Register Office (he has now retired) said that as the baby "did not draw breath" it would not have been registered. Later stillborns went on a different register for certificates, not the usual BMD ones. I'm not sure of the starting date for this though. As far as I know, only the parents or very close family can apply for these. It's very complicated!
rosie.

I stand corrected. :)

hi MWS as i said i am only assuming that still borns had to be registered and as rosie states its very complicated as we do not know what dates registering started but i do recall from a newspaper article about a midwife from nechells..ann pinson who buried still borns in boxes in her back garden to save the mothers the distress or trouble...she went to jail for not reporting the still borns...if memory serves me correct i think this happened in the 1860/70

all the best

lyn

Ianmonger

I think we have ascertained that Thomas Frederick Harris 1903-1980 is the son of the family on the 1901 census in my post No 6 , as on his death in 1980 in Bromsgrove (see post 3 by MWS) his birthdate was given as 5th May 1903 and on his baptism( post 5 by Bewdley ) the address was Woodcock street.

Taking Harriets age and that of her daughter Florence into consideration on the 1901 in Woodcock Street and then the further birth of Thomas in Woodcock street after that census I found the only family on the 1911 census that I consider meets the criteria of this family, also Harriet was a shopkeeper in 1901 and 1911.

However if the entry you have found for the Harris family with the father Samuel still living in 1911 meets this criteria , could you post the address and all family members living there please and I will delete my 1911 info.

Alberta,

Last edited:
Hi Alberta
My apologies for my entries. Yours seem to be the correct ones.
There are so many Samuel Harris's that I am now so confused I cannot find my original
entries.
Regards Ianmonger

kc, I am closing this thread now because you have another thread open about Thomas Frederick and it having quite a few answeres for your queries, and there is a chance that facts are being posted twice.

Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back