• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Fattorini Frederick/Regent Street

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
I've always admired this building behind the Thomas Fattorini factory in the Jewellery Qtr. Last week i was taking a shot of it and there was some work men about and i asked them about the building. I didn't realize is was part of the Fattorini factory but they informed me it was built as a Grand House associated with the factory and was now offices. The workmen said the name of the owner is still above the door and reads A L. They informed me that they can't discover who A.L was.
I'm intrigued as to who this was as i't's different to the name Thomas Fattorini, the building is to the side on Regent Street..
J qtr.jpg

This is no 3 Regent st and the workman isn't quite right in saying that it was erected for a person with initials AL, but for a firm Adie & Lovekin, silversmiths and probably erected for them in 1872.(Source "The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, John Cattell et al)

This is no 3 Regent st and the workman isn't quite right in saying that it was erected for a person with initials AL, but for a firm Adie & Lovekin, silversmiths and probably erected for them in 1872.(Source "The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, John Cattell et al)
Thank's Mike, so it wasn't originally part of the Fattorini factory then as that looks later.

The same source says the Trafalgar works, taken over by Fattorini around 1920, was built 1894-5

My grandfather was chief designer & engraver for Fattorini. He worked for them in Bradford & came to Birmingham with them in around 1927.

When i worked at fattorini's in barr street hockley in 1965 , we used to have our acid delivered in carboys in individual straw lined metal cages , i have even been out in the works van with one sitting right behind me ! , how dangerous is that ? . I have seen many of them planted out and used indoors , but as you say , you don't see them so often now , that's because the 25 litre plastic drums are much safer and more practical . Just for the record , the only acid that came in plastic bottles was hydrofluoric acid , which dissolves glass , we used it to dissolve the enamel in badges

When i worked at fattorini's in barr street hockley in 1965 , we used to have our acid delivered in carboys in individual straw lined metal cages , i have even been out in the works van with one sitting right behind me ! , how dangerous is that ? . I have seen many of them planted out and used indoors , but as you say , you don't see them so often now , that's because the 25 litre plastic drums are much safer and more practical . Just for the record , the only acid that came in plastic bottles was hydrofluoric acid , which dissolves glass , we used it to dissolve the enamel in badges

I, too, have a connection with Fattorini's!
Around about 1912, my grandmother, Clara Farrell, started work at Fattorini's, possibly in the offices, although she came from a family of jewellers, so may have been good at the making or polishing side. According to my Mum, Gran was quite a good looking girl (she was known as "Dolly" for that reason!) and soon came to the attention of young Mr. Fattorini, the boss's son, with whom she "walked out" for a while. I would guess that WW1 then took up his time, and when life returned to normal, Gran was already engaged to my grandfather, so young Mr. Fattorini turned his attention to Gran's youngest sister, Winnie Farrell. Having "walked out" with 2 of her daughters, young Mr.F. got to know their mother well and liked her, as she did him - well, he would have been quite a catch for one of her girls!
However, young Mr. F. was destined to deal with the overseas buying side of the business, and had to go abroad quite frequently. On his return from one such trip, he brought Mrs. Farrell 2 presents: a tea case (the old-fashioned big wooden box full of China tea), and a ceramic figure of a Chinese Budda, despite the fact that Winnie had, by now, also found herself a new young man! Well, Mrs. Farrell enjoyed entertaining one and all to tea, courtesy of young Mr. F., and the Budda took pride of place on the front room mantelpiece! After Mrs. Farrell’s death, it was handed down to Clara, and then her daughter, my Mum, and now to me. I treasure it, despite the fact that, although my Mum always recounted how young Mr. F. had said it represented the “God of Happiness”, and was the bringer of good fortune, it never brought any of us any good luck!

Having been a teacher for many years, I was often in charge of distributing form captain badges and prefect badges, all made by Fattorini’s today. Each time I handle one, I can’t help but smile, and think of young Mr. F. chasing after my Gran and her sister!!!

Last edited:
That is such a lovely story Bryn. How proud the family must have been entertaining the young Mr Fattorini. I do hope the budda stays in your family. I have a couple of Fattorini badges too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked as a designer at Fattorini & Sons in Barr St. too, with Vic Round and Sylvia Howells at the same time. I left after a couple of years but was invited back to work at the new studio in Church Street, off Colmore Row. Really peaceful after trying to do precise brushwork with the thump-thump of the drop hammers going on two floors below us at the factory.

I worked as a designer at Fattorini & Sons in Barr St. too, with Vic Round and Sylvia Howells at the same time. I left after a couple of years but was invited back to work at the new studio in Church Street, off Colmore Row. Really peaceful after trying to do precise brushwork with the thump-thump of the drop hammers going on two floors below us at the factory.
Hi APB. I may have worked there at the same time as you 1956 to around 1961? I remember Vic and Sylvia and also I believe there was a Maggie and Margaret in the design team, the latter became an actress. In my earlier years there I worked in the tool room and the designers used to come down to the tool room to get the press tools with the shape they needed for the badge they were designing. My wife used to work at Church Street making the Masonic regalia.

Today on the repair shop, they had a silver magnifying glass hallmarked Adie & Lovekin, 1894, On the show the address was given as Frederick St
As the link to the firm states that they were at 23 Frederick St from 1894, then this must have been one of the first items produced there.

Attachments

• adie & lovekin.jpg
    adie & lovekin.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 5
Back