• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Things We Sent Off For

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
HI.all there was a wagon and horses if you sent so many wrappers from wagon wheels
g*** badges. from jam.
anyone remember more?
crisps.cut out a small token.send so many for a ?

Last edited:
Hi Pete, My wife informs me that she has a complete set of kitchen utensils which she still uses sent for back in the 1950's with tops from Shredded Wheat boxes. ( As good as new.)

What about No6 and Embassy coupons not to mention green sheild stamps.

hello wendy thanks for reply.my mother in law collected cigy coupons i dread to think how many she smoked a day.
green shield they were good.my local garage always give me a full sheet.every time i went in.soon my books were full.was the store in union st
brum?

With the no6 coupons we got a pair of binoculars, bathroom stool and with Green Shield I think that was our teak coffee table ( still have them all. )

Pete mom and dad collected Kensitas coupons but can't remember if they sent off for gifts or collected them like the green shield stamps?. Will put me thinking hat on. Jean.

Over the years I had lots of things from Embassy coupons, coffee set, bathroom scales, a wok, kitchen scales are some I remember. We also had different sets of glasses from petrol stations, can't remember whether they gave out stamps or vouchers, then we had gifts from green shield stamps and some sort of pink stamps can't remember who gave those out.

As a kid I sent off for a " Ten -in-One-Scope " off the back of a cereal box. Made of plastic, and likely " Empire Made", It had four lenses, a round mirror and a compass. How this gave you ten tools I have long since forgotten. How many of you sent off for " Approvals " ? these were stamps of the world sent to you on sale or return basis...for your approval.
Pink stamps, Green stamps ciggie tokens I collected them all. Being an idle beggar I gave them to my mother to do as she wished.

more recent than some of the posts, silver foils from Marlboro ciggies for a jacket, but also remember Green Shield stamps and the gollies, I never did get the nurse!
Also remember getting coins from Esso, possibly football collection? in the 70's, my brother was the envy of his mates as our Uncle drove Esso tankers so he got a full set of them.
And on the collect line is anyone saving the Cravendale milk tokens for a teaset?

I remember my uncle Norman having collections of footballers but cannot remember if he sent off for them or just collected them?. Jean.

I remember my uncle Norman having collections of footballers but cannot remember if he sent off for them or just collected them?. Jean.

He must have had a huge house with lots of bedrooms then Jean - or do you mean cards of footballers?

Did anyone send off for Horace Batchelor's guaranteed "Infra-draw" pools system? I'll always remember the adverts on Radio Luxembourg for them (He lived in Keynsham, that's K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Bristol!).

I've done the Embassy cigarettes ones (when I used to smoke), green and pink stamps as well, rather like the 'Nectar' card today you don't ever get something for nothing, but it was nice to get a bit of the cost back.

hi lloyed

hi lloyed
nice to hear from you again hope you are well
i just wanted to say you have got a great memory and also i also remember old horace every night on the radio of every nighy of the week about twice a night they would mention it but i never bought it
he must have made some money from it do you think so there must have been some people must have sent off for it have a great day best wishes astonion alan

ll

We have a football card collection that belonged to my father in law. The cards are quite big about 4x6 I must check but think they were collected from the newspaper The Daily Record. There are also some tin ones with footballers on in little brown envelopes. It's a shame we have no football fans in the family!

I always wanted to send off for a pair of "X-RAY Specs" that were advertised in the American comics. !

Not from collecting but I once sent off to Gamages for a See Backrascope - actually a small device like a watchmakers eye glass that had a mirror at 45 degrees so you could see what was happening at the side of you. I also sent off for a box of stink bombs at the same time. I only discovered years later that Mom had opened the parcel removed the stink bombs and thrown them on the fire. This she regretted very quickly as one by one they exploded in the heat.

I just got that Lloyd.:) Actually he lived in the back to back next to my nan. Right I will re-phrase that. My uncle Norman collected CARDS with footballers mug shots on,:):(:). I think they were in park drive packets or another brand of faggs.:dft005: Jean.

hi lloyed
nice to hear from you again hope you are well
i just wanted to say you have got a great memory and also i also remember old horace every night on the radio of every nighy of the week about twice a night they would mention it but i never bought it
he must have made some money from it do you think so there must have been some people must have sent off for it have a great day best wishes astonion alan

I thought he had died penniless, but apparently not according to this article about him. I'm sure the money was from people buying his 'method' rather than winning the pools himself.

Someone is still selling his Infra-Draw method, at £6 now, but I still think I'll give it a miss.

A rare picture of the man at his desk.

hi.all my dad sent off for a piece of plastic that you put on a newspaper to make the print larger,so you could read
it.i had that for years and used it to look at wiring diagrams in workshop manuals. but sadly i have lost it

We do too Pete. Is your's a little booklet?. I can't remember what our's is called but we usually have one before Xmas. Jean.

hello yes it is.i have had some good things off them.ie a garden cart,that i tow behind my quad.and a torch that only works in the day lol

I bought a trolly for Pete to cart the rubbish from one place to another and it sure has carried some loads as both my twins have borrowed it a few times. It was a very good buy. Jean.

hi guys
speaking of sending things off did any of you ever send off for the vernon foot ball pools coupons
or did you ever done them or littlewooods coupons in the post
as they diod not have agents collections in the early fiftys it would have been late fifys when they introduced the collection agents in factorys w had one at raydexx elecric componets in edwards rd ladywood
whick would behind the todays icc centre and kingedwards rd
and all the green sheilds stamps was all the rage
best wishes astonion

Back