• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of shoppers make this a busy Bull Street scene in 1954.
Policewomen controlling the crossing and the advert on the bus says 'How many Schwepping Days to Christmas?'
bullst1954.JPG

#1770, Hi Nico, just seen your post, sorry if off topic, it means I served in the "Brigade of Guards", the ones who wear the red jackets, and tall black bear skins, the personal body guard to the royal family, 7 regiments make up the "Household Brigade", 5 regiments of infantry, and 2 cavalry. Foot Guards are Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cavalry, Life Guards, and Blues and Royals. I served in the Coldstream Guards, Paul.

Lots of shoppers make this a busy Bull Street scene in 1954.
Policewomen controlling the crossing and the advert on the bus says 'How many Schwepping Days to Christmas?'
View attachment 104207

Amazing that not only is it necessary to have a zebra crossing outside the Minories, but you need a police woman to make sure no-one is run over by oncoming buses along Bull Street! Viv.

Looks like a vast crowd in the background, outside Dunn's. I wonder if it was a special occasion, or routine Christmas Schwepping.

That was a very busy crossing - my memory and the pic tells me so.

The police presence was needed to regulate the traffic and people flows as unmanned the crossing would be in continuous use and traffic consequently at a standstill for most of the busy shopping day. It was, after all the crossing between two extremely busy stores - Greys and Lewis - in Birmingham

Yes a busy pedestrian crossing and I agree the date as 1954 as the Midland Red bus would have been still very new at that time. However I remember the crossing as being controlled by traffic lights and that would have been very soon after that date. The reason that it stays in my mind is because I remember arguing with my dad about it. He was driving up Bull Street intending to turn right into The Minories and stopped when he saw the lights. He would not accept my telling him that the lights controlled the pedestrian crossing not the junction. I would have been aged 10 at the time.

Looks like a vast crowd in the background, outside Dunn's. I wonder if it was a special occasion, or routine Christmas Schwepping.
The crowd would have been waiting at the light controlled crossing at the junction with Corporation Street. One way traffic coming in both directions to turn up or down Bull Street made it a very busy crossing. They eventually built a pedestrian underpass with a kiosk in the centre and I think an opening into the basement of Lewis's.
A 1952 photo shows traffic waiting at lights.
xxxx.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting that the two photos of Bull Street should show Midland Red buses rather than Corporation buses. The Midland Red bus in Bull Street in post 1778 would have been one of the immediate post war buses as it has an open rear platform. The bus in Corporation Street in the same photo is of the same type but we cannot see if is had an open platform or was one of the later buses with platform doors. I can remember travelling on an open platform Midland Red occasionally as late as 1960-61

Interesting that the two photos of Bull Street should show Midland Red buses rather than Corporation buses. The Midland Red bus in Bull Street in post 1778 would have been one of the immediate post war buses as it has an open rear platform. The bus in Corporation Street in the same photo is of the same type but we cannot see if is had an open platform or was one of the later buses with platform doors. I can remember travelling on an open platform Midland Red occasionally as late as 1960-61

The buses in post 1778 are BMMO D.5 (with open platform) and possibly D.5B (with folding doors), with bodies built by Brush of Loughborough and first introduced in 1949-50. The bus in post 1773 is a BMMO D.7, built to a lightweight standard with body by Metro-Cammell, introduced in 1953. These cracking photos illustrate the vitality and prosperity of the city.

Amazing that not only is it necessary to have a zebra crossing outside the Minories, but you need a police woman to make sure no-one is run over by oncoming buses along Bull Street! Viv.

Well, Bull Street (and its junction with both Corporation Street one end and Steelhouse Lane the other) must have been one of the busiest streets in Birmingham-the second city-and potentially most hazardous. It would only take a child or an adult nit-wit to dash out and cause the snarl up of the century. If you look at the number plate of the Morris Minor behind the bus the driver may have a life history of crashing into stationary vehicles.

But these were the days when the police had a service of participating with the public to prevent mayhem, rather at the end of the phone nowadays to race up and create more drama.

I think the Market hall picture is mirror imaged it was on the right going down the hill the picture looks to be where Pimms pet shop would be however I stand to be corrected

Hi Leowhitty - I've just had a look at two market hall images in the thread in #888 and #901 and they look ok to me. Text on signs in the pics reads correctly. Perhaps you could say which post has a possible mirrored image.

oldmohawk ....
smile-new.png

Last edited:
Phil

The two images that you have indicated are both of the Worcester St end of the market hall and not the bull ring end so yes they would look mirrored if mistaken for the bull ring view, also Pimms Pets would be nowhere in sight.

#1783oldmohawk/Phill I stand corrected as Phill pointed out this is Worcester st , my mates gran lived in a house just behind there & from memory it was only a narrow st in the pic it looks wider, anyway that's cleared it up for my OLD BRAIN.

Hi Leowhitty - My 'old brain' still occasionally has a go at trying to work out why that bloke in post#41 is doing what he is doing in one of the forum's 'mystery pics'.

oldmohawk ...
encouragement.png

Last edited:
I was just looking again at this Kingstanding Road photo from post#35 and wonder why there is, what appears to be, an umbrella high up above the notice board. Looks small in the photo and seems very out of place. Viv.

image.jpeg

hi viv i remember that photo think its one i posted ages back...have absolutely no idea what the umbrella thingy is though...

lyn

I think the consensus of opinion on the Forum is that the Corporation Street photo has been doctored to add the "running man". He also appears on a Five Ways photo. We were always told that the camera cannot lie but the problem now is that with computer programs like Photoshop, pictures can be made to lie. As an amateur historian looking at old photographs, I find this particularly disturbing. This reminds me of the Time Team TV programme in which they found an old sword above some later barbed wire which with other anomalies led to the conclusion that the site had been deliberately set up for them.

As for Viv's comment on the Kingstanding Road photo, I am wondering if it could be a kite or a balloon.

Indeed, David, I recall the Time Team programme.

One issue that worries me, in the Heritage railway arena. is the switching of loco numbers and names purely for photographic and financial reasons. Yes. I know the big railways did it from time to time but those occasions were well documented.
Most historians , archaeologists etc. rely quite often on photographic evidence and to my mind any distortions can result in quite misleading results.

Alan, I once met Mick Aston from Time Team and he told me that that programme was actually the one that he most enjoyed, I think mainly because it was a challenge to work out where everything was wrong.

On railway matters, I remember one railway magazine showing an example of just what they did not want was a photo allegedly showing two HST power cars with freight wagons between them.

These old photos keep my memories alive of Birmingham in the early 1950s. The Bull Street/Corporation Street junction shown in post #1778 seemed to be the centre of my shopping area and Lewis's sold much of what I needed apart from the latest teenage fashions.

The boundaries of my shopping seemed to be New St, High St, along Corporation St to just past Old Square, Colmore Row and about 200 yards down Snow Hill to a shop which did sell the latest teenage fashions. I occasionally went 'south' to the radio shops in Hurst St but that was about it.

I did also go into Brum to do other things rather than just shopping ....
encouragement.png

These old photos keep my memories alive of Birmingham in the early 1950s. The Bull Street/Corporation Street junction shown in post #1778 seemed to be the centre of my shopping area and Lewis's sold much of what I needed apart from the latest teenage fashions.

The boundaries of my shopping seemed to be New St, High St, along Corporation St to just past Old Square, Colmore Row and about 200 yards down Snow Hill to a shop which did sell the latest teenage fashions. I occasionally went 'south' to the radio shops in Hurst St but that was about it.

I did also go into Brum to do other things rather than just shopping ....
encouragement.png

should i ask what those other things were phil...maybe not lol

Cheeky! Well all those 'other' things us young 'ens did! Like the healthy pursuit of visiting museums - ah hem. Viv.

Last edited:
should i ask what those other things were phil...maybe not lol
Hi Lyn, I went to the ice rink, the museums, the City Health Office for a polio injection when there was a big panic, see Frankie Laine at the Theatre Royal, and to my favourite cinema the Gaumont.

Not much now I look at it ...
friendly_wink.png

Phil

#1786 Oldmohawk I was thinking maybe he was a member of that great Brum group Spencer Davis with Stevie Winwood it was about the same time KEEP ON RUNNING

#1786 Oldmohawk I was thinking maybe he was a member of that great Brum group Spencer Davis with Stevie Winwood it was about the same time KEEP ON RUNNING
I remember the Spencer Davis group and their song. I'm one of the few on the forum who thinks the photo is genuine and the running man had not been added and cannot see why anyone would add him to that pic. It was probably a newspaper pic from 1964. Underneath the pic in post#41 is the link to the post which has the original pic on the forum but I'm not sure where that pic came from.

Lovely photo I actually owned a classic Capri like the one I front of the policeman, in fact I h ad two in 1995 to renovate. Fabulous pictures on this page

Lovely photo I actually owned a classic Capri like the one I front of the policeman, in fact I h ad two in 1995 to renovate. Fabulous pictures on this page
Hi Kimi54,
Welcome to the forum. I worked for a large company which supplied Ford and in 1969 I went to Dagenham and saw one of the first Capri's made ready for it's launch. Always remember that trip I got stuck in a snowstorm on the M1 for 6 hours on the way back to Brum. I always liked the Capri.
oldmohawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back