• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a closer look it might be a man or a women in the garden slightly leaning over the fence and he/she has draped a coat or cloak over the fence and a sleeve is hanging down.
myspic1.jpg

Think that's most probably right Phil. The two seem to have merged together. I think it's a woman looking at the hai under the hat. Viv.

Hang on guys
Given the shot of the picture and the person taking the picture at a tight angle from a distance
And stretch you frame you will see aseries of railing possiblely about a foot apart with a set of wooden posts
And there is a little raised brick they are on
So our friend man/lady which i say a man would be standing between the railung with out the post being there
Possible vandells have nicked a couple lets face it crime was more fife of our yester days
Than to days crime ridden society ,, Astonian,,,,

I must say looking through these old pictures, I must say how empty, and big all the streets and roads look.Paul
Hi Paul, not a car in the street it does look a peaceful scene. The children in the pic look well dressed so it appears to be an affluent area. There is no date for the pic but I would guess that those children have WW1 ahead of them and their peace would be shattered. I have tried to find the same spot on 'streetview' but not succeeded yet.
Phil

Travelled along this road daily to and from school for some five years 1951-56, I imagine that its somewhere near St Benedict's Church. I remember my grand father born late 1890's referring to the River Cole crossing as the ford and most of the houses beyond this point on Hobmoor Rd are "between the wars" municipal style. But like you I couldn't get a match on streetview.

St Benedict's church built in 1905 replaced an iron church of 1898 in Holman Road. So at that point of Hob Moor Road there was no church there at the start of the century making the scene a very different one. If the photo is pre 1905 it might well have been taken at that point. The curves in the road seem to roughly match too. Viv.image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Phil, I must say Viv, what a contrast in the same road 100 years on, it does make me hanker for the older slower days, "The 1950's ", of course, not the 1900's.Paul

I think the cameraman was just a few yards past St. Benedicts Road,facing towards Yardley.I used to walk towards the camera position every day on my way to SGS and I can remember those brick walls still being there in the early 50's,,,they've all gone now of course !hobmoor.jpg

Hi Mickymoo, if that is the position there has certainly been lots of changes on the right hand side of the road. Have you any idea what that large building is that can be seen in the distance in the old pic ?
oldmohawk ...:)
Hob Moor enlarge.jpg

Thanks devonjim, I agree that the photographer was facing towards Yardley and I think Micky's photo in #1899 is very near to the position of the original photo.

Hi Mickymoo, if that is the position there has certainly been lots of changes on the right hand side of the road. Have you any idea what that large building is that can be seen in the distance in the old pic ?
oldmohawk ...:)
View attachment 108096
I'm not sure what that large house in the distance is,but it could be what became the "Small Heath Amature Gardeners Club"....The changes on the right were made by Morris & Jacombs Builders.They acquired houses numbered 1 in the picture in the 30's and demolished them to build their offices and yard.They acquired houses numbered 2 in the picture in the 70's I believe and demolished them to extend their premises..They have since gone out of business,I don't know who owns the premises now...Capturez.JPG

I too remember M&J's, on the left on the way towards town. I think our 1948 council house in Garrett's Green was built by this company. Waverley GS sports ground and more recently the school is near to that large house.

There was a time when you could set up a tripod and large camera in the middle of Aston Lane, Perry Barr, and safely take a photo. Two youngsters made sure they were in the photo and look at their large white collars. Most other people simply go about their business. Many of the houses in the old photo are still there today.
astonlane_old.jpg

There was a time when you could set up a tripod and large camera in the middle of Aston Lane, Perry Barr, and safely take a photo. Two youngsters made sure they were in the photo and look at their large white collars. Most other people simply go about their business. Many of the houses in the old photo are still there today.
View attachment 108289
Another excellent picture, the early photographers were very canny and would try to ensure that their photographs were animated and they often persuaded youngsters to pose for them, old postcards by Frith are loaded with children. Judging by the boys clothing, it is pre WW1, particularly as the women are in very long dresses, which I know continued into the 20s, however the half timbered house looks more 1920s than before the first world war. The houses on the left are obviously late Victorian. When did boys stop wearing knickerbockers? Are any of the trees still there? Keep the pictures coming in.

Another excellent picture, the early photographers were very canny and would try to ensure that their photographs were animated and they often persuaded youngsters to pose for them, old postcards by Frith are loaded with children. Judging by the boys clothing, it is pre WW1, particularly as the women are in very long dresses, which I know continued into the 20s, however the half timbered house looks more 1920s than before the first world war. The houses on the left are obviously late Victorian. When did boys stop wearing knickerbockers? Are any of the trees still there? Keep the pictures coming in.
I posted about it in 'Then & Now' thread because I used to look at that large house as a child. Looking at the modern aerial view some trees are still there.
Internal forum link to post#212 in the other thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/page-11#post-551750

A good old traffic jam, and everyone staring out, even the lady upstairs on the 5A bus. Some of the car drivers probably spent time on Sundays polishing all the chrome on their cars. That Ford van in the centre only has one windscreen wiper but does have one of those nice metal AA badges fitted to the radiator.
Maybe the traffic is stopped because there is a photographer standing in the middle of the road !! ...:D
5Abus.jpg
What make of car is KUL 67, I thought first of all it might be a Jowett Javelin (I owned two) but the back is wrong, then I thought there was a Vauxhall that looked a bit like it. Any help anywhere

I think it could be a Jowett Javelin. Picture taken from SimonCars.co.uk website

Actually now I have seen Eric Gibson's post, I realise that the car in the photo does not have the side grills on the front.

Attachments

• Jowett Javelin 1949 front.JPG
    Jowett Javelin 1949 front.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 23
image.jpeg
I think it could be a Jowett Javelin. Picture taken from SimonCars.co.uk website

Actually now I have seen Eric Gibson's post, I realise that the car in the photo does not have the side grills on the front.

Javelin I'm in love with your sister, someday you will be mine. (1952)

Javelin I'm in love with your sister said:
I bought and sold a couple of Javelins and a Jupiter back then, Ford killed them off I believe, the bodies were made by Briggs Motor Bodies, Ford bought the company and declined to continue the supply. (Well that's the story

Very many thanks to all of you, yes it was the. Vauxhall Wyvern which was the successor to the 12, of course it had a more modern successor still called the Wyvern....the car behind it. Sometimes the old brain completely shuts down. Interestingly the bus behind was the bus of my youth, lived just up from the terminus. Did the traveller in the Bradford van ever have to reverse up hills because it was low on petrol. Please keep the pictures coming, I showed one of my young staff the picture of the back to backs, he guessed it was in taken in olden times, about 1900 when I showed him 1965, he could not believe it and as for open platform buses!!!

With open platforms on buses we could jump off between stops just like this pair could have done back in 1946 ...:)

With a chain across if they had a full load or were "not in service". The real skill was dropping off behind the bus and to "hit the ground running".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back