• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And look at how big that Woodbines sign is above the cafe! The sign advertising the cafe itself seems almost incidental. What a difference 50 years had made on smoking. No advertising, no smoking in public buildings and now no smoking in vehicles with young passengers. Viv.

, I was driving my first car by the date of the pic which can be seen with a click on it.
smile-new.png
[/QUOTE
Don't follow your comment about seeing the date with a click.
But Austin1100 were from 1965, I think! Remember a test drive at Colmore Motors that year.
"As seen on ITV", they have just had their 60 year anniversary
And I think the car (a Vauxhall?) has a "C" reg again post 1965.

Last edited:
The original photo states 1966, which I would agree with, Vauxhall Viva is the one car, 1100 is the other, and I think but not sure if the last one is a Ford Corsair ?,

Don't follow your comment about seeing the date with a click.
Hi devonjim
Many of the pics you see in my posts in this thread (which is about pics on the forum) are not actually in my posts, they are links to the original pics.
oldmohawk .. :)

Last edited:
Someone in this pic is looking at the camera, but I find the pic interesting because of the doors which have replaced the upstairs window of Midland Sidecars. Unless there is a large space with access behind the shop, the premises seem somewhat unsuitable for selling sidecars. Did they store them upstairs and if you had ordered one did you have to watch has they lowered it from those doors ...
friendly_wink.png

Maybe I should go to "Specsavers", but I cannot see the person who you say is looking at the camera.

Where is he/she?

Maybe I should go to "Specsavers", but I cannot see the person who you say is looking at the camera.

Where is he/she?
I can see the face of a little toddler in the pushchair peering round the woman in the pic ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Where is he/she?

By the the first car - she's in the doorway. Looks like a dress shop or maybe a curtain shop. But it doesn't seem to have a shop sign. Also just noticed the wall painted signs on the Midland Sidecar shop either side of the blocked up upstairs window. It's oil (Castrol perhaps? ) and says ts "As advertised on ITV". Viv.
Viv.

Last edited:
The toddlers I can see on my laptop, one in the pushchair and one standing behind to the right of the lady. The one in the pushchair is looking at the camera. Those were the days when we had easy to remember telephone numbers - Midland Sidecars Tel. 'NOR 4846' ....:)
toddlers.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of people, many looking rather serious in this forum pic. Maybe it was an ordeal riding in that charabanc especially if it rained. The original forum post says they were starting from Handsworth on a trip to the Lickey Hills, perhaps they cheered up a bit as they chugged down the Bristol Road ... Mr F.Sugden of Alfred Rd certainly packed them in, I wonder if his business flourished ...
index.php

The pic is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/lickey-hills.33865/page-5#post-434436

Last edited:
He carried on listing himself as a charabanc proprietor till the war,then became Sugden's garage, car hire proprietors, after the war, and then became a coach operator until 1963, after which the firm disappeared

Re post 1620

The 'Ministry of Transport' (MOT) was introduced in 1960 under the Powers of the Road traffic Act 1956.

Steve R

Looking at this forum pic brings back memories of the old trams and how agile we had to be to climb the high steps to get on them. The platform was well over 2ft above street level and the woman climbing into the tram is only half way there. Being young we didn't think about it at the time.
If you wonder why the conductor is reaching out of the window, he has yet to get hold of the rope to walk the tram collector pole round to the back. Strange box 'thing' on the footpath.
index.php

Last edited:
Looking at this forum pic brings back memories of the old trams and how agile we had to be to climb the high steps to get on them. The platform was well over 2ft above street level and the woman climbing into the tram is only half way there. Being young we didn't think about it at the time.
If you wonder why the conductor is reaching out of the window, he has yet to get hold of the rope to walk the tram collector pole round to the back. Strange box 'thing' on the footpath.
attachment.php

It was posted here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15453&p=470402#post470402

What a great tram photo! It does of course raise a number of questions. The tram is at a terminus, as the passengers are getting on at what appears to be the front as the collector pole is at the other end, so this has yet to be changed round. There is also a Bundy clock. However where is it? It is unfortunate that the route number is washed out by sunlight, but there may be a number 3 (possibly 8) at the end, this may narrow it down a bit.
Also when is it? Fashions indicate post-war and there is a car in the background that has a distinctly post-war appearance (Hillman Minx?? - could be - the version with that shaped body came out in 1953).
Was the box on the pavement anything to do with the electricity supply for the trams?
Looking forward to the replies from the wise!
David

What a great tram photo! It does of course raise a number of questions. The tram is at a terminus, as the passengers are getting on at what appears to be the front as the collector pole is at the other end, so this has yet to be changed round. There is also a Bundy clock. However where is it? It is unfortunate that the route number is washed out by sunlight, but there may be a number 3 (possibly 8) at the end, this may narrow it down a bit.
Also when is it? Fashions indicate post-war and there is a car in the background that has a distinctly post-war appearance (Hillman Minx?? - could be - the version with that shaped body came out in 1953).
Was the box on the pavement anything to do with the electricity supply for the trams?
Looking forward to the replies from the wise!
David
Hi David, The photo was originally put on by ragga in November 2012 (see link) and he thought it might be somewhere in Hockley. Although it looks like a terminus, some track appears to curve off towards the right.

Messing about with the contrast etc, seems , to me, to possibly indicate number of tram as 33 ?

unknown_tram_detail.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly wider-angle view of the same location at the bottom left of this page on Mac's Old Ladywood website - https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/portroad.htm - knew I'd seen the view somewhere before!
Thanks for that, some nice photos on that site. I notice that 'box' thing is in their photo. Perhaps it is something to do with the tram's electricity supply as mentioned in #1637, but I've never seen anything similar in other tram photos.

Some memories of the old Rednal tram terminus surfaced in the 'Street Furniture' thread and I remembered this post showing changes already underway with the trams replaced by buses and an orderly queue next to the the toilet block which probably had to be large for the crowds that flocked to the Lickey Hills in those days ...
When I went to the Lickey Hills I remember a long queue of trams lined up to take us back home.
In this pic there is no queue of buses, but everyone standing in the long queue looks patient even the dog !
Little kids chat about the fun they have had, but their bus trip home won't be as interesting as on the old trams with sounds of the bell dinging, electric motors humming, and the swish of the wheel on the overhead line when the tram got up to speed, and if you could sit on the curved bench seat at the front upstairs it was extra fun ....
A thought occurs .... is this the longest bus queue to be seen in the forum old pics ?
index.php

The crowds from long ago probably never thought that the toilet block would still be there 70 years later in use as a chinese restaurant ...
Rednal.JPG

Last edited:
Would you believe it, I know that place so very well, to think it is a take away now, quite astounding, I have to say I do not like this new Brum very much at all.Paul

In the far corner of my mind the box that is on the foot path held Grit? or Salt? If I passed one today I wouldn't think it strange so there must have been a few about.

Hi Di
we still have them down our way in worc and they are always ful through out the year full of salt
i have one about two hundred yards from our house and infact not so long ago our worc council said they have brought in 75 tons of salt into preparation of what is expected of a bad winter cor ; the mear thought makes your hair curl id say di best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back