• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

Excellent Phil thank you - also great to have the titles you added too.
Good to see these places and the changes - IMO mostly the older pics are the better ones :)
There's something about brick-work thats more regal than rendered brick work sometimes. I'm sure I'm old fashioned.

Did you take the "modern" images yourself ? .. because the perspective is spot on - great work.

great then and nows phil...hard to believe the changes in some of them..

lyn

Excellent Phil thank you - also great to have the titles you added too.
Good to see these places and the changes - IMO mostly the older pics are the better ones :)
There's something about brick-work thats more regal than rendered brick work sometimes. I'm sure I'm old fashioned.

Did you take the "modern" images yourself ? .. because the perspective is spot on - great work.

Steven

Some of the modern photos are mine, but don't tell anybody I borrowed some from Google Maps.

Hi Phil
Today I purchased a book called. Images of Birmingham its a hard back one I found in a book shop today
It as pictures and illustrations and they start from 1800s from and of the city centre king George and Queen Victoria days
Also its contents of industrial assortments, the bull ring and beyond, the water ways, Birmingham war. ,
The pub bombing
Stechford rail crash sporting heroes and the. We dimensions meaning the change
The first royal. Visit. To Birmingham photographs 1858 queen Victoria and prince Albert passing in carriages
Pictures of the old the old council house and the art gallery its hard to believe its the same city
The old bull ring and the war section showing gloss pictures of the first and gift battalion soldiers and more of them
Picture of large sizes of bombed sites destroyed around brum and some are also 1941 years as well
Its a real gem for everybody
The real price bought brand new from the post and mail was £16.99 today at the second hand shop was £3.99
Also I got a book called. Birmingham the war years a 50th aniversary commeration
Jammed packed with the forces and all the years with first and the fifth battalion and the factories of where our weapons was made yet another gem
And its signed by Alton and Jo. Douglas. £4.99
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,

Hi Alan

The "Images" series of pictorial books are very good and are produced by Birmingham City Council and they cover most districts of Birmingham. The Alton & Jo Douglas about Birmingham are very good also. The prices you quoted were bargains, but you might keep an eye on Amazon Books because sometimes you can purchase nearly new books about Birmingham from there for as little as one penny plus postage.

i Phil,
Hope you are well yes I was told about amazon by my son and its true what you say about the prices from them
I have been looking for a book for a very long time now for at least twelve months
Its a book by the old village people of honeybourne called then and now the millennium 2000
Some one eBay adverisizedit for sale wanted a hundred and twenty pounds for it but my son got on to amazon as you said
They have got it and I am waiting for delivery total cost £9 95 that's a big saving ain't it so I am glad you have confirmed to me about amazon
So from today I will be checking with them now in future keep your threads a coming Phil great stuff
Have a good day best wishes Alan,, astonian,,,,,,,,

A little trip around the City once more, here we have the Council House from Victoria Square, a little peek up Cannon Street, then a look up Bull St from the junction of Dale End and the High Street, then Bromsgrove Street from Hurst Street and Broad Street looking toward the City. All in no particular order so please run your mouse over the thumbnail for locations if you don't recognise them.

Attachments

• Victoria Square.jpg
    Victoria Square.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Cannon St.JPG
    Cannon St.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Bull Street- Dale End.jpg
    Bull Street- Dale End.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Bromsgrove St from Hurst St.jpg
    Bromsgrove St from Hurst St.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 210
  • City Broad St.jpg
    City Broad St.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 212
Thanks Astonian. I will try and get the book "Images of Birmingham". Thanks also for info on your family connections with Whitehouse Street, Aston. Dave.

Great photos Phil, especially the Bull St/Dale End older one ... I was right there in it wiv me collar turned up and me brolly, splashing through the rain,
so atmospheric!!

Back around the suburbs, back to the suburbs in this selection we have Aston Cross, Highgate Rd Sparkbrook, Foremans Rd Sparkhill, Great Francis St Nechells and Great Lister St Nechells.

Attachments

• Aston Cross.jpg
    Aston Cross.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Highate Rd.jpg
    Highate Rd.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Foremans Rd.jpg
    Foremans Rd.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Great Francis St.JPG
    Great Francis St.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Great Lister St - Dartmouth St.jpg
    Great Lister St - Dartmouth St.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 169
A patch of Brum where I spent very many happy evenings in my younger days shown as it was in the 1950s and as it is today. The building at the far end of Goodman Street with two prominent chimneys seems to have survived but I can't remember looking at them when I was young!
Then (pic will enlarge if clicked)
Now
Ice_Rink_now.JPG
My happy memories about the place are click here

A little trip around the City once more, here we have the Council House from Victoria Square, a little peek up Cannon Street, then a look up Bull St from the junction of Dale End and the High Street, then Bromsgrove Street from Hurst Street and Broad Street looking toward the City. All in no particular order so please run your mouse over the thumbnail for locations if you don't recognise them.

I commenced work at Kay Westworth's Music Shop in Moor Street, in 1949. With the inner ring road scheme, Westworth's had to move to Snow Hill, and were then moved on again to the top of Cannon Street. A narrow street, and directly opposite the music shop they built a high modern building, which completely blocked out what little daylight there was. I left Birmingham in the 50's so I have no idea of what happened to Westworth's Music Shop after that. Eddie

Most old street pics of Erdington on the BHF show a good looking suburb but Hampton Road seems rather ordinary. Nevertheless a photographer set up his camera in 1911 and took a pic and of course Google Streetview drove past just over 100 years later and took their pic. The canopy over the house door seems to have survived, but uPVC (good stuff) door and windows has taken over. I prefer the old garden wall. The pics were originally on the BHF here with some discussion about a large school at the top of the road.
Then
HamptonRdErd1911.jpg

Now
HamptonRdErd2012.jpg

In reference to the Cannon Park boulder, such stones deposited by ancient glaciers are called 'eratics' . They are relatively common in the Midlands. I know of one very large one alongside the A46 near j15 of the M40.

Meteorites are a good deal smaller than the Cannon Hill boulder by the time they hit the ground. They are also quite dark in colour due to the severe burning as they pass thru the atmosphere.

A few more from around the city, here we have Broad Street where we see the Prince of Wales theatre exchanged for The ICC & Symphony Hall, Chamberlain Square (IMO a change for the worse). High Street from Dale End, Retort House Gas St the oldest surviving gas production building in the world, Steelhouse Lane.

Attachments

• Broad St.jpg
    Broad St.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Chamberlain Square.jpg
    Chamberlain Square.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 166
  • High St.jpg
    High St.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Retort House Gas St.jpg
    Retort House Gas St.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Steelhouse Lane.jpg
    Steelhouse Lane.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 166
thanks phil and i completly agree with you as the one i find so upsetting with regards to the change is chamerlain square...we lost so many fine buildings there and as i have said many times...once they are gone they can never be replaced..in fact i will go further and say if anyone can say that the now shot of chamberlain square is more pleasing on the eye than the then shot i will be most surprised..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn & Phil,

I think you would find it very difficult to find anyone to disagree with you regarding Chamberlain Square. In fact, I much prefer most of the old streets with the possible exception of Broad Street, and even that is a bit iffy in parts. I was not really familiar with Gas Street in the 1950s, so I find it difficult to make a comparison.

Maurice

I agree Chamberlain Square was once a beautiful part of old Birmingham, a lovely place to stop and rest, while shopping or walking, my father used to say it was very Stately. The vandalism visited on the old city centre in the 60's was nothing short of shameful.paul

What about a few more pubs then, these are some pubs that I have used at one time or another, only one of them with any frequency. Most are gone now but a couple remain and are still open today. Here we have The Country Girl Raddlebarn Rd, Selly Oak. The Dolphin Warwick Rd Acocks Green. The Sportsman Saltley Rd Saltley, The Speedwell Stockfield Rd Acocks Green, The Cottage of Content Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook.

Attachments

• Country Girl (2).jpg
    Country Girl (2).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Dolphin.jpg
    Dolphin.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 147
  • Nechells The Sportsman Saltley Rd C1950 and Now.jpg
    Nechells The Sportsman Saltley Rd C1950 and Now.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Speedwell Stockfield Rd.JPG
    Speedwell Stockfield Rd.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Sparkbrook Cottage of Content +.jpg
    Sparkbrook Cottage of Content +.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 149
Hi Phil
Do recall the speedwell pub being taken over by the bikers some years back now they locked the gather up and lo led him in
And the front doors and drank the pub dry of every think
At the time I lived at 66 speedwell red and my local was the bill and bush and the speedwell and hay mills social. Astonian,,,,,

Hi Alan

Though I didn't live in the area, I used to use the Bull, and when it closed and moved over the road into the old police station and was renamed the Old Bill & Bull I used that a few times as well but it wasn't the same as the Bull.

Attachments

• Bull.jpg
    Bull.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Old Bill & Bull.jpg
    Old Bill & Bull.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 130
Another little trip around the suburbs of Birmingham reminding us of how things were and what they are like today. This trip shows us, Regents Row Hockley, the Junction of Bloomsbury St & Great Francis St Nechells, Northfield High Street, the junction of Washwood Heath Rd & Alum Rock Rd (The Gate), the Treasure Trove on Pershore Rd Cotteridge where I'm sure we have all browsed at one time or another.

Attachments

• Hockley Regents Row C1900 and Now.jpg
    Hockley Regents Row C1900 and Now.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Nechells Great Francis St.jpg
    Nechells Great Francis St.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Northfield Bristol Rd+.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd+.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 143
  • s and Today.jpg
    s and Today.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 142
  • Treasure Trove Pershore Rd Cotteridge.jpg
    Treasure Trove Pershore Rd Cotteridge.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 156
I used to enjoy "mooching" around in "Treasure Trove", my late father-in-law was always in there looking through the books.
rosie.

Hi Phil
What year was that picture taken then the guy whom owned it many years ago used to live up cartland. Road kings heath
And next to his mother house as I used to do some work for him yes I also used to mooch around d his shop in my you her days
That's how I got to know him through his mother whom I also done the work for her first then asked me to go next door and do work for him
Alan astonian,,,,,

Alan

Sorry mate I don't know when the photo of the Treasure Trove was taken, but from the look of the cars in the photo I would estimate the late 50's to the early 60's.

It's time for some cinemas and what they were replaced by, not that we have many cinemas left at all. I'm afraid it seems like cinemas and public houses are things of the past now. Here we have the Ashted Cinema Ashted Row Nechells, The Carlton Nechells Place Saltley, The Ritz Bordesley Green, The Waldorf walford Rd Sparkbrook.

Attachments

• Ashted Cinema.jpg
    Ashted Cinema.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Carlton Nechells Place.jpg
    Carlton Nechells Place.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Ritz Bordesley Green.jpg
    Ritz Bordesley Green.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Waldorf.jpg
    Waldorf.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 122
A few more local views, there are one or two that have hardly changed at all. Though the rest have changed that much they are almost unrecognisable. We have in this batch, Aldridge Rd - Wellhead Lane, Bromford Lane - Wheelwright Rd, Garretts Green Lane Sheldon, Soho Rd - Rose Hill, Stratford Rd Sparkbrook.

Attachments

• Aldridge Rd - Wellhead Lane.jpg
    Aldridge Rd - Wellhead Lane.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Bromford Lane - Wheelweight Rd.jpg
    Bromford Lane - Wheelweight Rd.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Sheldon Garretts Green Lane.JPG
    Sheldon Garretts Green Lane.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Soho Rd - Rose Hill Rd.jpg
    Soho Rd - Rose Hill Rd.jpg