• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Theatre shows of the past.

Oscar Peterson at Solihull in 1960s, Jerry Lee Lewis with Duane Eddy,ODEON, Petula Clarke, ODEON, Tony Bennett 3 Times at B'Ham Hippodrome, Stan Kenton Town Hall & New Theatre Cardiff.

Abbott & Costello & Laural & Hardy B'Ham Hippodrome

We belong to the Malvern Theatres have seen some fantastic performances. Most times we stop overnight at the Abby Hotel and have lunch at the Copper Kettle Sings near the British Camp. Not a great lover of musicals but really enjoyed Blood Brothers (3 times).

At least I hadn't imagined about the Panto at the Wellhead Lane garage. I think the one I saw was pre 1950 because I was a teenager and fell in love with the leading lady - she didn't know ! It's amazing what bus garages did in those days.
About Magdelene College, I stayed in it, and I often read the Pepy's diaries - you almost feel as if you are in London in the 1600's.
I'll sort out the large group photo taken at the college and possibly start a thread. Someone might recognise people on it.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Love to see a photo of your visit to Magdalene. Mohawk:)

I went to see Jazz at the Phil with Ella and Dizzy and Gene Kruper, Keith. The show came back the next year and I went again. Brian was doing his National Service so I went with my girl friends. We were dressed to the nines, as was usual then, and I had a new pair of shoes with 3" heels. I slipped them off during the show and when I tried to put them on again my feet were so hot and swollen I couldn't get them on. I went home on the bus in my stocking feet.:rolleyes:

Alfie I was in the Town Hall for the Stan Kenton show, I think Michael Ingram was too. I saw Dave Brubeck there, and lots of our English bands.
The panto that stands out for me was with Max Miller. He wore his flower patterned jacket, I can't recall which panto, but it was a trip from The Dunlop, where dad worked.

re theatre i was a bad lad, i got in to see bill haley and the comets in the back way, i did pay to see lonnie donnagan at the hippodrome!!
shardeen

I knew Sean Connery for a time (pre Bond)... but that's another story... and saw him at the Alex in "The Sea Shell" with Dame Sybil Thorndike and Heather Sears. Then dinner at
the Midland Hotel with all three of them. I had many memorable times at the theatre, but I s'pose that was the most memorable. I'm also a member of Malvern Theatre Robert, they have some great touring productions don't they?

Alfie just a shot in the dark only someone called Charlotte had a van on the site and her uncle was Percy Thrower. When she went to his funeral Sean Connery was there too. Like I said a shot in the dark. Jean.

I have been to see so many shows over the years, my favourites are musicals, in the 1950s one of my sisters worked at Conex Sambra and they had a theatre club, we went to many shows at the Theatre Royal in New Street, Ivor Novellos The Dancing Years, and other of his hits plus my favourite there South Pacific. In London, I saw Applause, Gypsy, Charlie Girl with Anna Neagle and Derek Nimmo - he wriggled his toes on stage - one of his trade marks at the time. The Flower Drum Song? and Starlight Express.

Back to Brum I have seen Evita, Scrooge with Anthony Newley in the lead, My Fair Lady, The Pyjama Game, Guys & Dolls, and Paul Nicholas in I think A Tale of Two Cities, Okalahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, plus many pantomimes at the Alex, Birmingham Hippodrome and of course my local the Aston Hipp.

Over the years we have also seen many amateur shows at Sutton Town Hall including Mame, Sweet Charity, Mack & Mabel, oh the list goes on.
In recent times I have been to the Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton, and saw Whistle Down the Wind, Eternal Flame, pantomimes and variety shows,
good value for matinees.

No, sorry Jean. Never had a caravan anywhere, honest guv!
Sean was in "The Sea Shell" around 1959 and I first met him when he was in the back row of the chorus of "South Pacific". First at Wolverhampton, then the Theatre Royal Birmingham, then Coventry, then Blackpool....you get the picture. When he was in the Midlands he'd collect me on his manky old Norton motorbike, bits dropped off it as we sped to the theatre (not me, I might add).

The only time I had a go on a motor bike it was driven by my other half think it was a tiger cub before his mom confiscated it. We split up while I worked at the holiday camp and when we got back together he had upgraded to a dirthy old blue van that was also falling apart. Lovely time you must have had flitting from pillar to post. Jean.

Not a lot to tell. I used to collect autographs and adored "South Pacific". Met Sean, Vic Spinetti and some of the others at Wolverhampton after the show and Sean and I got on really well (Oh God...what a name dropper, it's embarassing!) He is (was?) a really nice guy earning about £12 a week (I often bought his lunch at Lyons..beans on toast I think) and we kept in touch after SP finished when he was living in London. I still have some of his letters somewhere. Last time I saw him was in "Sea Shell" and he'd just met with Cubby Brocolli to test for Bond. I remember telling him he'd not get anywhere with that strong Scottish accent. I may have that carved on my gravestone!!!!

My wife was a dancer at the Alexandra theatre & was in several Pantomimes inc. Aladdin & Robinson Crusoe with Danny La Rue & Les Dawson, La Rue was always the perfect gentleman to the cast & everyone backstage, Les couldn't help being Les Dawson on & off stage, a very funny man altho a bit of a letcher :blush:

Charlie thats a great story and having met you I can understand why Sean liked your company........no grovelling just truth!:)

Charlie, how I envy your friendship with Sean Connery, I have always fancied him, especially the early James Bond films. Lucky you.

Len Brill I shall spend a happy hour or two looking those tomorrow:)

Back