1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. All of the moderators are working very hard to tidy up the Forum posts, as you can imagine 14 years tidying takes a lot of time. Quite a bit of this is taken up with off topic posts It would be helpful in future if members could keep their posts relevant to the thread Title,those that are not will be deleted. Thanks.

The Yard of Ale

Discussion in 'Pubs' started by Frothblower, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Frothblower

Frothblower Lubrication In Moderation

The Yard Of Ale ( The Tavern In The Town ) where I met me wife Cath, also and The swinging Sporron ( The Cabin ) have both closed. We had some great times in them pubs in the 70's.

2. claire-brum71

claire-brum71 master brummie

That's a shame, up until a few years ago my mate was running the Yard of Ale, it always did well, do you know why it's closed?

3. el-stano

el-stano Ex-lurker

4. petewhitemdr1

petewhitemdr1 brickie brummie

also called teddys between tavern in the town and yard od ale ,think it was run by an ex copper

5. Frothblower

Good old Dick Lawn, he took over the Temple Bar after the bombings. We had some great after hours drinks in there:)
    It now a shoe shop :(

6. Frothblower

Come to think of it, most of my drinking venues have gone:(-
    TEMPLE BAR.......................Shoe shop
    TAVERN.............................Closed
    MULBERRY BUSH.................Gone
    CABIN................................Closed
    PARISIAN...........................Gone
    NORTON............................Gone
    NAVIGATION......................Chineese restaurant
    DUNLOP CLUB.....................Gone
    BROMFORD TUBES CLUB......Gone

Just my beloved Lad In The Lane ( Old Green Man ) left:)

7. Dennis Williams

Dennis Williams Proud Brummie

Quick question. What was it BEFORE it was the Yard of Ale or Teddies or Tavern in the Town. I'm thinking in the 50s and 60s?

8. Frothblower

I believe it was the Tavern in the town

9. mikejee

mikejee Super Moderator Staff Member

There is no pub listed in the building before sometime beween 1967 and 1969. I think I remember the Tavern being advertised as being a "new " pub when it opened. Before it was probably a storeroom in Liittlewoods Stores bazaar, which was there before
    Mike

10. Dennis Williams

Dennis Williams Proud Brummie

I only mention it because I remember in the 50s 60s going to a restaurant round about there in New Street, that you had to go down some stairs to get to it. Red decor I think. Quite sizeable. Thought it might have been a well known eatery. Where am I thinking of then? How the hell should I know at my age...?

11. sistersue61

sistersue61 master brummie

Was it a Tennessee Pancake House? there was one of those next to the Tavern but that would have been early - mid 70's I guess or I would have been too young to remember it :)
    Sue

12. Astoness

Astoness TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR Staff Member

crikey froth....i didnt know the yard of ale had closed:( spent many happy hours in there in me teens when it was the tavern in the town..i remember once that my friend arranged a blind date for me with her boyfiends mate...oh dear we were only in there for an hour or so and he asked me to marry him:cry: i made my excuses to go to the loo but instead i legged it up the stairs and hot footed it home...:D:D

lyn

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  13. Frothblower

Blimey he had a lucky escape then [​IMG]

14. Astoness

just the sort of repy i would expect from you froth.....

15. Frothblower

ouch !!!!:cry:

16. Astoness

hey froth...i know you were using the tavern at the time when i was proposed to...oh gawd it wasnt you was it....:D:D

17. Frothblower

I wondered where you went to??

18. Astoness

:D:D froth....there is an old saying...you can run but you cant hide....

19. Frothblower

Found you at last. Will you marry me [​IMG]:D

20. Astoness

:crying::crying: im in stitches here...of course i will...think ive kept you waiting long enough for an answer

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010