• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Travel Card Bus

Heartland

master brummie
Over time the Travel Card was advertised in various ways.

A former Birmingham Corporation Bus had that task in 1973 at Dale End
100253.jpg

I think that this is the same bus? but at the top of Snow Hill this area has change since I shot the film (on Super 8) https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/8463993081/in/album-72157632427995441/
I appears to be the same bus but has quite a different - almost gaudy design - compared to that shown in post 1. It would be, in my opinion, that post 1 design would be far more effective and advert being clear and straight to the point.
Bus 2820 JOJ 820 was one of a batch registered JOJ 776 (2776) to JOJ 900 (2900) first delivered in 1952. The complete delivery took twelve months withdrawals were from 1971 to 1977. They were a Daimler with Gardner engine and bodied by Crossley of Manchester. The original seating of 54 was increased to 55 after an experiment with bus 2661. This meant two seats, rather than the usual one, beneath the staircase on the lower deck. 2847 was involved in a rear accident resulting in Midland Red fitting rear platform doors. It, as far as I am concerned, it looked quite an ugly affair and was not repeated on any other rear platform buses to my knowledge. There is a photo of this bus on the Forum.
Buses 2799 and 2820 (the one shown in posts 1 and 2) were fitted, in 1959, with a fibreglass front bonnets of a Manchester design. They did not possess the classy style of the BCT design, in my view and sadly they were not the only buses to receive them. It is said it improved the drivers view.
Another thread exists:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-w-m-p-t-e-travel-card-bus.23581/#post-204071

Back