• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Sydenham Golden Hillock Road

tali

master brummie
New Days Inn(formerly Munsters Arms) on Golden Hillock rd - what was it before it became a hotel ?
Iirc it seemed vacant for decades prior to becoming a hotel

If you got off a train at Small Heath Railway Station you could cross the road and have a refreshing pint in the Sydenham pub, but beware it had a bad reputation deserved or not, i can`t confirm or deny it personally. Len.

Hi Tali,

After the Sydenham was demolished in the early 1990's it was rebuilt as The Celtic Court Hotel and the bar within it was the 'Munster Arms' (Munster being one of the four Provinces of Ireland), not the 'Munsters Arms'!!!:p

Regards

Macca

Has anyone got a photo' of The Sydenham pub/hotel from the 1980's up until it got demolished?

Found two online that pre-date it...

BiLL

HI BILL
Yes we do have a couple of pics of this pub hotel they have been on before and years ago around the time you mentioned it was owned by a guy called liam occonner whom now owns the tower of ball room edgbaston
soon some one will pop it on for you i am sure astonian

Albion

The Sydenham a little earlier than the 80's I'm afraid it looks sometime in the 60's.

Phil

b69528bf.jpg

Great photo Phil, I remember going in the Sydenham in the mid 70’s. Met this giant of a man called Jack Kite, a carpenter working for Birmingham Housing Department.

He was a real gentleman: told me a story of how he fought in the war, and towards the end, when Germany was on the retreat, young German boys were issued with guns, so theycould take a pot shot at the allied soldiers.

He showed me a photograph of his best friend, who was killed by one of these young snipers;tragic.

Last edited:
Hi Phil, that photo' is one that i found..... Still can't find one later.

Morturn... Do you remember a barmaid in there, name of Carole Baker? Just wonderin'.

Morturn... Do you remember a barmaid in there, name of Carole Baker? Just wonderin'.

Unfortunately not, only used the place a few times while working in that area.

Hi
I used the Sydenham every lunchtime around 1978/79 When the BSA was demolished i worked for J.J.Gallagher and a gang of us had our Lunch Hour in there. I also know the brothers that bought it to turn it into a Hotel they were Chris and Noel McClean known as Merstow they were great mates of the Gallaghers and played a lot of Gaelic Football.

Golden Hillock road Sydenham Road junction facing Armoury Road. Waverly Road down by Small Heath Park.
Walt.

Re: The Sydenham.

Hello Old'uns,
The actual location of the Sydenham was on the junction of Golden Hillock Road and Anderton Road.
400 ish yards down Anderton from the Sydenham was a crossroad with Sydenham Road on the left and Montgomery Street on the right.
On the corner of Anderton Road and Montgomery Street was a pub called the Marlborough. Sadly now closed, the building will remain, because it is listed.
Back to the Sydenham:- In the middle 60's my dad used to play golf with the manager who's name was Harry (can't remember his surname).
Harry left for a pub in Nottingham (I think the Robin Hood). The next manager was called Ken Townsend, who was married to Frances. This would have been around 1967/8. The pub had a very large garden down the Anderton Road side and had great bonfire parties there.
Down the Golden Hillock Road side, there was a rarely used function room called The Blue Room. I went to a diso there in 1969 and tasted my first goat curry.
Around 1971/2 Ken left to take over at the Brookhill in Alum Rock and the Sydenham was taken over by an Irish couple (sorry but I can't remember their names).
Me and dad then used to travel to the Brookhill (amongst others), but Ken didn't stay there long. I can't remember where he went to, but he was followed in by Peter Stockwell, who eventually kept the Stockland in Stockland Green, for 20 odd years.
I shall have to read up on some my other old haunts and see if I can contribute. Some of these were:- The Sampson and Lion, The Pelham, The Broadway, The Hunter's Moon, The Custard House, The Comet, The Country Girl, TheGreet, and a few more in that sort of Southeast Birmingham.
Hopefully write more soon.
Billybow.

In its last days The Sydneham was taken over by one of the local motorcycle gangs, using it as their sort of unoffical clubhouse, they had been using The Speedwell but think the brewery and maybe the police, had called time on them there after some of their antics, They took over The Sydneham and probably for similar reason that got closed down, they then bought a large house on Albert Road Stechford and converted that to their clubhouse where, as far as I know, they remain today

In its last days The Sydneham was taken over by one of the local motorcycle gangs, using it as their sort of unoffical clubhouse, they had been using The Speedwell but think the brewery and maybe the police, had called time on them there after some of their antics, They took over The Sydneham and probably for similar reason that got closed down, they then bought a large house on Albert Road Stechford and converted that to their clubhouse where, as far as I know, they remain today
the outlaws mc

Back