• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Scotch House - Whitehead Street

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
I've come across a nice postcard picture of the Scotch House in Whitehead Street. Can't say I'd ever heard of it, probably another great old place long since demolished.

Ian.

I am at a bit of a loss with this picture. The only Scotch house I can find, was in bull st, and this was not on a corner. The only pubs I can find listed on Whitehead st , which are actually listed as high St and alma St, are the Crown & Cushion and The Vine. I can find no evidence that either were ever called anything else than those names. On the 1889 map below, it does look as if it says P.H. on the corner opposite the Vine, but I can find no mention in directories of a licensed premises being there.
The name on the road is not clear on the photograph, but is certainly ,,,,head St, and the first letter looks like a W or a V. Any suggestions
mike

corner_whitehead_st__alma_st_1889.JPG

hello ian the scotch house was on the next corner up from the barton arms goiing towards six ways long gone i'M affraid

I must be blind. It used to be the Crown & Cushion, but changed its name. but the picture looked a lot older than 1932 , when it was still the crown & cushion.
mike

The Scotch House used to have a lot of Scots as customers.
As lads we would open the bar door and shout "Erin Go Bragh",then go up to the Royal Exchange on Six Ways (mainly Irish customers),open the bar door,and shout "Scotland the brave".And then watch the fun...we were, without doubt, horrible little boy's.:rolleyes:.

The Scotch House was on the corner of High Street/Whitehead Street, Aston, almost opposite the pawn shop - was it Pawsons, the No.8 bus route crossed High street from Park Lane then along Whitehead Street. I walked past the Scotch House so many times on the way to Six Ways.

It should be Whitehouse Road and not Street.....

hi aston lad the caption say its whitehead road but you say its whitehouse road...can you confirm this for me please..im confused lol

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

Scotch House was at 73 High Street which was the corner of Whitehead Street, Whitehead Road was on the other side of the High St by Park Lane.

Lyn

Scotch House was at 73 High Street which was the corner of Whitehead Street, Whitehead Road was on the other side of the High St by Park Lane.

thanks phil no wonder im getting confused...lol

lyn

On looking at the map I see that Whitehead St ran from High St to Alma St and Whitehead Rd was opposite and ran up to Bevington Rd.

Sorry all.......my mistake....On my A to Z it looked like Whitehead Road, the printing is on the small size....also I wrote Whitehouse instead of Whitehead it could be an aged thing, but I have been thinking about a boys club that used to be in Whitehouse Road, I only went once or twice....not to sure if it was only for boys, it may have been an after school play centre which we used to have at Burlington Street school twice a week during the school term(s)......

Sorry all.......my mistake....On my A to Z it looked like Whitehead Road, the printing is on the small size....also I wrote Whitehouse instead of Whitehead it could be an aged thing, but I have been thinking about a boys club that used to be in Whitehouse Road, I only went once or twice....not to sure if it was only for boys, it may have been an after school play centre which we used to have at Burlington Street school twice a week during the school term(s)......

hi ason lad..dont worry about it sometimes the printing is not very clear...

lyn

I've only just got back to this site after 12 months so,although I've missed the boat, I'd like to add that my wife lived at 9 Whitehead St just along from the Scotchouse Pub.

My dad's first pub with Ansells was the Scotch House. My brother was born there in 1956.
I, sadly have no recollection of the place. I was only 2.

Jim

My dad's first pub with Ansells was the Scotch House. My brother was born there in 1956.
I, sadly have no recollection of the place. I was only 2.

Jim

hi and welcome...at least you have a photo of the pub..sadly our pubs are going at the blink of an eye...

all the best

lyn

View attachment 90077nice pic here of the scotch house pub

lyn

This photograph is most probably 1912. The pub's name changed about four years prior to this when Albert Butler was the licensee. By the time of this photograph he was running the Queen's Head at Erdington. The publican you see here is William George Baggott who previously kept the Woodman Inn on Duddeston Row.

thanks for that info kieron...be great if any descendants of william george baggott would come forward ..it really makes me weep at the loss of some lovely old pubs we had...chances are our dad went in this pub...mind you chances are he went in every pub around there :grinning:

lyn

Hi everyone
I am one of William George Baggot’s Great Granchildren. He died before I was born, but I have fond memories of his wife Gertrude ‘Granny Baggott’ to me and my cousins. I knew he had The Woodman from the 1911 census when his daughter - my grandmother - was 8 years old, but I didn’t know about the Scotch House. Amazing to see the photo, I think the girl in the picture could be his daughter Ivy.
Harriet

Nice to hear from a descendant!! I suspected the girl was named Joy so I will have to update the page.

Attachments

• High Street Aston - Scotch House.jpg
    High Street Aston - Scotch House.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi everyone
I am one of William George Baggot’s Great Granchildren. He died before I was born, but I have fond memories of his wife Gertrude ‘Granny Baggott’ to me and my cousins. I knew he had The Woodman from the 1911 census when his daughter - my grandmother - was 8 years old, but I didn’t know about the Scotch House. Amazing to see the photo, I think the girl in the picture could be his daughter Ivy.
Harriet

wow i was only saying in january how good it would be if a descendent of william baggot turned up and here you are....welcome onboard

lyn

No, not Joy, my Grandmother was definitely Ivy, and she was the only girl - but I just checked the 1911 census and it could be read as Joy if you didn’t know any different.
And I was astounded when I saw the comment that it would be good if a descendant turned up......... delighted to oblige!!
Harriet

Back