• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

"the Rock" Public House, Alum Rock Road.

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
Hello everyone,

I can see that there have been discussions about the pubs on the Alum Rock Road over the years, but I cannot find any specific reference to "The Rock" pub. I understand that it was situated on the corner of Alum Rock Road & Bowyer Road. I think it may have closed in the 1960s or 1970s, though I believe the building is still there.

A Charles William MEREDITH was the Publican there when WW2 broke out. He and his wife Emily appear there on the 1939 Register.

Please does anyone remember this Pub, or the MEREDITHs as the landlords. I am interested in how long they ran the pub. I believe Charles died in 1946, but was possibly not running the pub at that time.

I would also be really interested in any pictures of the pub or the MEREDITHs.

Many thanks

Jane

Fairly certain it was still a pub in the 80's and possibly the 90's. The building is still standing and has been split into a number of retail units on the ground floor.

The electoral rolls give Charles William Meredith with Emily Meredith there in 1935. In 1945 it was Archibold Clarke.
The directory for 1933 (probably compiled in 1932) gives landlord as Harry Walker, as do those up to 1940 (the latter probably compiled 1939), but the edition for 1943 (probably compiuledn1942) gives Alfred Silman. Telephone directories in this case seem to only list name of pub, not landlord. so he came in between 1933 and 1935 and left between 1940 and 1942

Thank you very much for your help, MWS and Mike.

Yes, I have found one rather poor picture, showing the pub, apparently recently closed. Dating it is rather difficult, but it could be the early 90s.

The dates are really useful Mike. Charles MEREDITH was originally a silversmith - most of his family were in the trade - so this was a bit of a surprise.

Thanks again,

Jane

My grandfather was a 'regular' at The Rock during the 1940's and 1950's and most likely before that. He was hit by a car outside the Rock in October 1959 - the driver did not stop Grandad died as a result of his injuries.

Thanks Janice, it is a great photo. I had seen a very poor copy of this pic, but this one is a lot better, and gives a much better idea.

Jane

Hi everyone.I drunk in the Rock a few times in the mid eighties.It was definitely open then.
I grew up in Ward End and drank in most of the pubs on the Alum Rock Rd.

Back