• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Ritz, Kings Heath. Inc Latest Posts Re Fire

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
See interesting info below, might see you there?

Show to mark 50th anniversary of The Beatles at The Ritz in Kings Heath on Friday 15th from 12.30pm
The Ritz and The Beatles in 1963. Right: the venue is now a Cash Converters.

It was a time when Beatlemania was just dawning – and the four, who were already fab, played a small Birmingham ballroom.
The concert at The Ritz, in Kings Heath, had been booked before the group had really taken off – but, by the time of the show, single Please Please Me had just been released.
That meant hordes of girls were lying in wait at the small venue and when they arrived, the band was forced to climb over a fence at the back to get in.
In fact, legend has it, that the Fab Four were only three when the numbers were counted on their arrival.
George Harrison, it seemed, was in the process on being hauled out of a cab by a mob of screaming girls, after he arrived late. Luckily he was rescued and the band were ready to go on for the delayed show.

Now, to mark the 50th anniversary of the concert, on February 15, 1963, a show is being planned with local musicians playing their favourite Beatles songs.
Unfortunately, The Ritz Ballroom in York Road is long gone and is now a Cash Converters, so the event will take place in Fletcher’s Bar, opposite the original venue.
But the original concert is well remembered in the area by those who witnessed the dawning of Beatlemania.
The gig had originally been booked for Janaury 11 but heavy snow stopped the band making the 11-mile journey from The Plaza in Old Hill, near Dudley, where they had performed earlier that day.
Please Please Me was released the same day and, 24 hours later, they appeared with the song on TV show Thank Your Lucky Stars. That meant The Beatles were hot property by the time they finally honoured their date at The Ritz.
Owner Joe Regan made them tea and sandwiches before he realised George was missing – and went to rescue him from the fans. The Ritz was one of four Midland venues run by Irish couple Joe and his wife Mary.
After eating their sandwiches the band began to practise – which didn’t go down well with Joe. According to accounts at the time he is said to have shouted: “Tell them to turn that racket down”.
But Joe was a good negotiator – he persuaded their manager Brian Epstein to allow them to perform for their previously agreed fee, even though they had stormed the charts in the intervening period.
After the gig, Paul and George wrote a personal message to one adoring fan in her autograph book, “To Janet, love from the Beatles”, and signed their names with three kisses. Forty three years later the autographs were auctioned at Christie’s.
Bob Prew and Ken Whittaker, who campaign to recognise the musical heritage of Kings Heath, said: “We want as many as people as possible to come along on February 15 to celebrate a key event in Kings Heath’s musical history.
On September 14 will also be organising a similar event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones playing the Ritz.
“We will also be creating new plaques on our Walk of Stars for Fuzzbox’s Jo Dunne and The Move guitarist Trevor Burton following on from the first last year for Kings Heath-born Toyah Willcox.
“All the money raised from the Beatles event will go towards establishing the Walk of Fame as a registered charity.”
The Ritz has already been recognised by Birmingham Civic Society with a musical heritage plate, unveiled in June to recognise how large a part the venue played in the city’s pop heritage.
Many of the major artists of the 1960s played there at the start of their careers including Robert Plant on April 24, 1966, The Kinks on June 11, 1966, and Pink Floyd on December 16, 1967.
The ballroom closed in the early 1970s when the Regans converted it into a bingo hall. Joe died in 2004 and his wife in 2008, and the vacant building became a Cash Converters.

Tickets only cost £2.50 and can either be purchased on the door or in advance from the Kitchen Garden Cafe on York Road. Space is limited so booking is advisable.

Musicians interested can email [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Ritz, Kings Heath.

I would like to point out that I am not part of the organizers for this 50th year event opposite the Old Ritz building, further details can be found online

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Bob. It seems like a good cause.

Fire at the former Ritz in Kings Heath!

Just seen on the BBC Birmingham website that there is a fire at Cash Converters in York Road, Kings Heath - what was previously the Ritz ballroom.

I'm like the old building Gutted!!

Icon Brum building and disco club gone forever, left with just happy memories.

lots of memories of the ritz i saw the mersey beats and van morrason when he was with a group called them but i missed the beatles gig

Re: Fire at the former Ritz in Kings Heath!

Sounds as if it was a complete destruction of the building, glad I wasn't travelling through there this morning, it even diverted the buses and was still cordoned off at midday my cousin tells me.
Sue

Was suprised to hear on Midlands Today this morning about the fire in Kings Heath. Then I read on Twitter that it was Cash Converters!

I took a couple of pics last month, as it has a Music Heritage Plate on it.

Re: Fire at the former Ritz in Kings Heath!

Screen grabs that I took from the Birmingham Mail that I posted to Twitter

BGZBtkICYAA7tLq.jpg

BGZD8VaCUAAZlrF.jpg

I think this plate survived the fire, from what I can see on the Birmingham Mail's photo gallery

The Toyah Willcox star for the Kings Heath Walk of Fame was installed a few weeks ago outside Maurice Robinson Sports

The first ever Civic Society Musical Heritage Plate has survived the fire! Despite the fire, organisers of the King's Heath Walk of Fame are still planning a whole series of commemorative events over the summer to celebrate some of the major pop acts who played the Ritz in the 1960's. See our web site: www.kingsheathwalkoffame.org.uk
The building may have been destroyed but we are determined that the memories and music will carry on!

Glad to here it Bob. Thanks for using my photo of the plate on the Kings Heath Walk of Fame site.

I heard that the Toyah Willcox star is under the rubble. Is it ok?

Toyah's star is still there but it will need a bit of TLC (tender loving care!). Spoke to senior fireman yesterday afternoon and they have still not been advised if whole building needs to be demolished. Civic Society who own the Musical Heritage Plate will remove it for safe keeping if necessary. We are determined that the key role the Ritz Ballroom played in Birmingham's musical history should not be forgotten and are going ahead with plans for a whole series of events over the summer to commemorate the Ritz's legacy. See new article on www.kingsheathwalkoffame.org.uk There's also an article in today's Birmingham Mail.

Is it covered by insurance? Hope that it can be rebuilt. Assume that the floor from that boat didn't survive then?

Was there any CCTV or security footage from when the fire started?

Latest news is that the whole of the building is to be demolished. We hope to be able to remove for safe keeping the Civic Society Musical Heritage Plate on Saturday and Toyah's star on Sunday. Both seem to be in reasonable condition. Don't know about CCTV coverage.

There was a shop building in Sparkhill on the Stratford Road that a few years ago went on fire. Had to be demolished. Since then, the rubble hasn't been cleared off site (just pushed to the back).

Will a new building be built on it's site? What will happen to Cash Converters, will they move elsewhere in Kings Heath.

I assume that so far, the cause of the fire is still unknown. Hope it wasn't faulty wiring or something like that.

There was a shop building in Sparkhill on the Stratford Road that a few years ago went on fire. Had to be demolished. Since then, the rubble hasn't been cleared off site (just pushed to the back).

Will a new building be built on it's site? What will happen to Cash Converters, will they move elsewhere in Kings Heath.

I assume that so far, the cause of the fire is still unknown. Hope it wasn't faulty wiring or something like that.

Kings Heath isn't Sparkhill and in some respects up and coming, i don't think this plot will be left as rubble somehow.

Hopefully not! Needs to be rebuilt asap. As soon as the Police / Fire Service find out who did it and why.

A post has been removed for review by the team as it was speculative. If considered acceptable it will be be reinstated.

Can I respectfully ask that we keep comments to the known facts and reminiscences. Speculation and rumour are unhelpful and it is best we wait for the Fire Brigade and Police investigations as to cause.

Thanks for the photos Ell. My late Father in Law had a used to have second hand car pitch out side this building immediately pre-war. Thanks to Rob for the information re the programme over the summer to commemorate the Ritz's legacy.

Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
I took some photos earlier of the site. A lot of people were down York Road today having a look at what was left.

Just to let you all know that both the Civic Society Music Heritage Plate and Toyah's Star have been removed for safekeeping while what remains of The Ritz Ballroom is demolished. We are in the process of talking to the owner of the building (not Cssh Converters) about incorporating the plate into any proposed re-development. Toyah's star will be re-instated into the frontage of Maurice Robinson Sports when we consider it safe to do so (famous last words!!!)

HI BOB ;
thanks for your thread and pics ; just wondering whether or not as there been any developments on the cause of the fire yet
i did know that cash converters had taken over the old hall down below but i could not under stand why did they move up the rd from there excisting premise s when they had a large shop and above the shop roof car parking so any guess if they will be moving again or is there any renovateing going on ;
i would be very intresting in the out come of this fire as you may know i do have an intrest in fires around brum;
have your self a good day bob ; best wishes astonian;;

Yes Ell they were and likely just rent or lease the premises.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Back