• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Real Peaky Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genmac1

master brummie
Did you watch 1st Episode of The Real Peaky Blinders on BBC2 last night at 9pm with Prof Carl Chinn? I thought it complemented his book 'Peaky Blinders The Real Story' very well. Made me realize how our family ancestors who moved from rural Bucks must have felt and why most of the children died young after their moved in 1860's

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Did you watch 1st Episode of The Real Peaky Blinders on BBC2 last night at 9pm with Prof Carl Chinn? I thought it complemented his book 'Peaky Blinders The Real Story' very well. Made me realize how our family ancestors who moved from rural Bucks must have felt and why most of the children died young after their moved in 1860's
Having watched the programme which I enjoyed, inspired me to have a closer look at my own ancestors from around that era. Lo and behold I came across my great-granduncle's mug shot. Earlier research had pointed to his criminal past but I was intrigued to see that below his picture there was the crime description of "Scarves". Alongside his picture were several other young men with the same description. I wonder if this was one of the street fighting gangs mentioned in the programme.

Screenshot 2022-03-08 103649.jpg

Scarves (often silk) were part of the attire of Birmingham gangs of the period jmadone, whether there was a gang known as "Scarves" or this was used as an identifying phrase for the mug shot (possibly several other persons arrested at an incident were wearing one too?), I don't know.

In his book ,Prof Carl Chinn mentions stated following that as part of their attire:-

'...they sported a silk 'daff' as it was called, twisted twice round their necks and tied at the ends. It was then called a 'choker'

' .. they wore flashy silk scarves'

The mug shots of Samuel Sheldon in 1907 , Edward Derrit in 1895, Charles Battle 1892 and George George were all wearing silk 'daff' and the famous billycock hat or the outsized flat cap

Some of my ancestors were living in Digbeth at this time, also in Navigation Street, these areas were mentioned as being where the "Peakies" operated. I haven't found any connections to gangs on the male side but gt gt grandmother went to court for stealing silk shawls, she was acquitted though.
rosie.

Looking further into the "mugshots" and having found a few more ancestors (gasp, horror) depicted therein, there are are other crime descriptions such as "bread", "cheese" etc. so I think that these refer to the theft of such articles and perhaps my thinking on the gang name scarves was a bit fanciful.
Thank you to all for your contributions which were very relevant.

For those that are interested. Billy Beach mentioned in the Real Peaky Blinders on BBC2 by Carl Chinn was my great grandfather on my mother’s side. Carl previously did not know when the Vendetta took place although he knew there was a Vendetta.

Since the Peaky Blinders TV Series started a number of Sheldons from the West Midlands area have been convinced their ancestors are related somehow.
Author Steven Knight has even suggested that it was his father's uncles that were part of this Sheldon gang, which is not entirely correct.
Having studied this particular Sheldon Family Tree, the true connection of Steven Knight to the Sheldons is via his great grandmother Emma Creamer b1870, whose younger sister Sarah Creamer b1881 married Joseph Sheldon b1879.
John Sheldon b1866 was the elder brother and Samuel b1868 was said to be the leader of this particular Sheldon family and perhaps the inspiration for the character Tommy Shelby.
All 3 Sheldon brothers spent several years of their early adult life in prison and they all had incidents involving guns.
The family tree pic shows how Steven Knight was related to these Sheldons, note; bar Steven Knight, all the people in the tree are deceased and that BMD info on these people is publically available.
peaky-tree1.jpg

For those that are interested. Billy Beach mentioned in the Real Peaky Blinders on BBC2 by Carl Chinn was my great grandfather on my mother’s side. Carl previously did not know when the Vendetta took place although he knew there was a Vendetta.

The Beech and the Sheldon families had been feuding for at least a couple of years before 1910.
One of the Sheldon brothers, Samuel had been coshed and shot at previously.
Things came to a head in 1910 when Samuel's brothers John and Joseph went mob handed with several other people and confronted Billy Beech. In a nutshell, shots were fired but missed Billy. Billy went crazy and laid out a few mobsters. At court Billy decided not to "grass" and the Sheldons got away with attempted murder and were convicted of a lesser charge and it appears both sides called it quits to some extent

1910criminal-sheldonjohn1.jpg

1910criminal-sheldonjoseph2.jpg

The Beech and the Sheldon families had been feuding for at least a couple of years before 1910.
Things came to a head in 1910 when Samuel's brothers John and Joseph went mob handed with several other people and confronted Billy Beech. In a nutshell, shots were fired but missed Billy. Billy went crazy and laid out a few mobsters. At court Billy decided not to "grass" and the Sheldons got away with attempted murder and were convicted of a lesser charge and it appears both sides called it quits to some extent

View attachment 168781

View attachment 168782
Brilliant I have a copy of the court case in my genealogy file for the family tree when Tom Sheldon and Colman without getting it all out were sent to prison for five years for the attempted murder of my great grandfather in 1911 off the top of my head. My grandmother changed the spelling to Beech to distance herself from her father but still slept with a sledgehammer with the handle cut short under her pillow. I asked Carl Chinn if these were the same Sheldon’s that had Tom Sheldon bookmakers. He said they were not owned by Sheldon’s at all.

Last edited:
Brilliant I have a copy of the court case in my genealogy file for the family tree when Tom Sheldon and Colman without getting it all out were sent to prison for five years for the attempted murder of my great grandfather in 1911 off the top of my head. My grandmother changed the spelling to Beach to distance herself from her father but still slept with a sledgehammer with the handle cut short under her pillow. I asked Carl Chinn if these were the same Sheldon’s that had Tom Sheldon bookmakers. He said the were not owned by Sheldon’s at all.

View attachment 168781

View attachment 168782

View attachment 168781

View attachment 168782
To this day I think it was spelt Beach originally. My grandmother Dale on her marriage certificate was Florence Elizabeth Beach. In fact both grandmothers on maternal and paternal we’re Florence.

Brilliant I have a copy of the court case in my genealogy file for the family tree when Tom Sheldon and Colman without getting it all out were sent to prison for five years for the attempted murder of my great grandfather in 1911 off the top of my head. My grandmother changed the spelling to Beach to distance herself from her father but still slept with a sledgehammer with the handle cut short under her pillow. I asked Carl Chinn if these were the same Sheldon’s that had Tom Sheldon bookmakers. He said the were not owned by Sheldon’s at all.
I think Prof Carl is correct about Tom Sheldon the bookmaker. There was a 4th Sheldon brother Thomas, but as far as I know he was not involved and basically lead a decent life as a bricklayer and moved a mile or so out of that area.
There was a Dick Sheldon bookmaker, but who he belonged to i'm not sure.
My research on these Sheldons is still on going

When I have time I will ask her indoors to get my paperwork out of the loft. I am sure it was a Tom Sheldon and Colman who were put down for 5 years for the attempted murder of my great grandfather William Thomas Beach. I am sure it was 1911. The marks were on the Blue brick wall on the corner of Coventry Rd and St Andrews Rd where the old cast iron men’s urinals were situated. You could see the Red showing through the chipped bricks. My father brought it to my attention in 1953 going to see the Blues play Sheffield Wednesday.

When I have time I will ask her indoors to get my paperwork out of the loft. I am sure it was a Tom Sheldon and Colman who were put down for 5 years for the attempted murder of my great grandfather William Thomas Beach. I am sure it was 1911. The marks were on the Blue brick wall on the corner of Coventry Rd and St Andrews Rd where the old cast iron men’s urinals were situated. You could see the Red showing through the chipped bricks. My father brought it to my attention in 1953 going to see the Blues play Sheffield Wednesday.
John Sheldon clashed with gang boss Billy Beach. What exactly started their feud is unknown. Perhaps a gambling debt, as John often suggested his occupation to be an Agent/ Commision Agent on censuses, which tended to relate to Bookmaking

Beach and Sheldon had fought in 1908 to settle the dispute. He had come out on top that time.

The Sheldons looked for revenge. Beach was shot in the neck later. He refused to say who shot him, but did say he had already given that person a good beating and was happy to take the law into his own hands.

Before he could do so, Sheldon arrived at Beach’s home with a posse of tough men armed with guns. Shots were fired. One hit Beach behind the ear, while another bullet pierced through the window and grazed the head of Beach’s 10-year-old daughter.

Against all odds, Beach took on the gang by himself. Known as a fighter, he went at Sheldon and his armed crew.

John and Joseph Sheldon were arrested and sentenced to 12 months in prison for this violent and dishonorable ambush.

Despite all participants being in and out of prison, their war continued. Beach was allegedly stabbed by Joseph Sheldon in one attack, while he received a fractured skull in another attack by John and Joseph Sheldon. With those brothers locked up, Beach went on to fight with Samuel Sheldon, who got out in 1912, and two other gang members.

Beach eventually moved to Canada, but his gang continued his war with the Sheldon gang. This resulted in the shooting of Samuel Sheldon in October of 1912 where a bullet went through his billycock hat and another grazed the side of his head. He survived, but his assailants were sent to prison and the bloody tit-for-tat war slowly came to an end.

John Sheldon clashed with gang boss Billy Beach. What exactly started their feud is unknown. Perhaps a gambling debt, as John often suggested his occupation to be an Agent/ Commision Agent on censuses, which tended to relate to Bookmaking

Beach and Sheldon had fought in 1908 to settle the dispute. He had come out on top that time.

The Sheldons looked for revenge. Beach was shot in the neck later. He refused to say who shot him, but did say he had already given that person a good beating and was happy to take the law into his own hands.

Before he could do so, Sheldon arrived at Beach’s home with a posse of tough men armed with guns. Shots were fired. One hit Beach behind the ear, while another bullet pierced through the window and grazed the head of Beach’s 10-year-old daughter.

Against all odds, Beach took on the gang by himself. Known as a fighter, he went at Sheldon and his armed crew.

John and Joseph Sheldon were arrested and sentenced to 12 months in prison for this violent and dishonorable ambush.

Despite all participants being in and out of prison, their war continued. Beach was allegedly stabbed by Joseph Sheldon in one attack, while he received a fractured skull in another attack by John and Joseph Sheldon. With those brothers locked up, Beach went on to fight with Samuel Sheldon, who got out in 1912, and two other gang members.

Beach eventually moved to Canada, but his gang continued his war with the Sheldon gang. This resulted in the shooting of Samuel Sheldon in October of 1912 where a bullet went through his billycock hat and another grazed the side of his head. He survived, but his assailants were sent to prison and the bloody tit-for-tat war slowly came to an end.
Thank you I knew most of this. Billy’s 10 year old daughter was my grandmother. It was over a gambling debt. Billy joined the overseas Canadian Volunteer Force at the outbreak of WW1. He had spent time in the Royal Warwickshire regiment previously. He was 39 at the time. I did not know it continued into 1912 though.

Obviously Neale I do not know your age. But if you are old enough, My grandfather and grandmother ( Elizabeth Florence Beach) had the timber mill in Watery Lane. John Dale. They lived at the rear of Coventry Road Bus Garage.

Last edited:
Since the Peaky Blinders TV Series started a number of Sheldons from the West Midlands area have been convinced their ancestors are related somehow.
Author Steven Knight has even suggested that it was his father's uncles that were part of this Sheldon gang, which is not entirely correct.
Having studied this particular Sheldon Family Tree, the true connection of Steven Knight to the Sheldons is via his great grandmother Emma Creamer b1870, whose younger sister Sarah Creamer b1881 married Joseph Sheldon b1879.
John Sheldon b1866 was the elder brother and Samuel b1868 was said to be the leader of this particular Sheldon family and perhaps the inspiration for the character Tommy Shelby.
All 3 Sheldon brothers spent several years of their early adult life in prison and they all had incidents involving guns.
The family tree pic shows how Steven Knight was related to these Sheldons, note; bar Steven Knight, all the people in the tree are deceased and that BMD info on these people is publically available.
View attachment 168780
Steven Knight and I are related - his Gt Gt Grandfather Thomas Knight is my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather. Met Steve and some of his brothers in 2003 -4 having a drink before/after watching the mighty Blues

I've just read the story on British Newspaper Archives, very interesting about two rival gangs. Birmingham Mail Friday 30th September 1910. Just like Peaky Blinders

I've just read the story on British Newspaper Archives, very interesting about two rival gangs. Birmingham Mail Friday 30th September 1910. Just like Peaky Blinders
Myself the great grandson of William Thomas Beach locally know as Billy Beach on my mother's side. My christening do was at the Garrison. My grandfather John Dale had his timber mill in Watery Lane in 1950s.

thread lock for moderation and removal of off topic posts including the inappropriate humour....please remember we are not facebook

the team

It might be a good idea for some members to go back and read the rules and guidance which are displayed at the top of the forum. The aim of the forum is mainly items concerning the history of Birmingham, or which might, in the future, be of interest in that respect. This does include football, but there is a special place for this, in the sports section. But even there infantile comments more suitable for the playground are not appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back