• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Old Green Man

HERE WE GO AGAIN...FROTHY AND CELLARS:rolleyes: hope you realise froth that if you scare the new landlady too much she may decide not to stay...then where would you be ehh:D:D

lyn

WELL YOU CANT GET MUCH MINIER THAT 2 CAN YOU FROTH:rolleyes:thats it.... leave me to sort out the next forum meet up...:headhit::headhit::headhit:

lyn

i would laff if you really saw a ghost froth:cry: say hi to terry and bri for me...:)oh and the lady that walks the celllars:D:D

blimey froth...you dont us much notice to you....takes me a day to put me warpaint on:D:D

wish i could make it but i will be there....soon...;)

Never ceases to amaze me What I keep finding out about my Pub:)

This photo was taken around 1911 presumably shortly after Billy Garraty's football had ended at Lincoln City. Billy is pictured sitting on the ground to the right of the ball. At this time he was the landlord of the pub and perhaps this photo is the pub football team. The "Ye Old Green Man" which can be seen at the top of the photo is now called the "Lad In The Lane" and is apparently the oldest building in Birmingham still standing with some of it's beams being felled in the spring of 1400. The term oldest building does not take into account any of the Churches built before this date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Garraty

A drawing of the Green Man. Sorry no date. Struggling to match it up with Streetview. Maybe this drawing is from a different angle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1412843671.993232.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1412843692.955730.jpg

Can't work out which church is opposite the pub either. So is this really The Green Man/The Olde Green Man/Lad in the Lane? Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nice drawing viv but i dont think its the green man erdington....far as i know there was never a church so close to it either..

lyn

Morning Lyn. The drawing is from the following book

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1412849031.632905.jpg

I know the Lad in the Lane was once called the Green Man and the Olde Green Man and that it was structurally altered in the 1930s. There are some similarities too. I wonder if we can locate a church nearby from records. Or was there another Green Man pub in Erdington? Viv.

As Lyn says, it must be another Green Man as Eversley House was always opposite the Green Man until it was demolished in the late 50's to early 60's and I don't think it had its own Chapel.

There's a striking resemblance between the drawing and St. Barnabas's Church. So I wonder if it was a composite picture. If so The Green Man in the drawing could well be the Lad in the Lane. Unless of course there was once a Green Man pub in/near the High Street. Viv.

As Lyn says, it must be another Green Man as Eversley House was always opposite the Green Man until it was demolished in the late 50's to early 60's and I don't think it had its own Chapel.

thanks phil..

viv have to admit defeat as this is not my neck o the woods...hopefully someone will get to the bottom of this one...

Hi Phil
I have to agree with viv on what is said about the name change is correct on the subject of a church going up passing the pub
And close by I do believe there was one and because of the road widening way back in time it makes it hard to believe it was closer than you think
Going up hill they demoed property to make a twist in the road and built huge block flats which now looks like they on the front of
The road next to the pub and the rear side backs on to the June Nile prison they built
And going up the road passing the pub I ensure that's where they knocked it down and built social security office
Which if I am correct was what is called Kingsbury red corner and I think you will find thasts where the old church stood empty for donkeys years
Because of that Fannie bend of the road they done you would think its a different red and next to that social office that's was there years ago
Until they demoed that as wells there is some think to do with the councils departments of such
But I am very sure the church was close by on that corner but the corner was not there then if you get my drift
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Back