• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Oasis Market in 3D Virtual Reality

The Oasis, once a concealed treasure, was a beloved embodiment of Birmingham's identity, drawing those with a refined taste for the latest trends. In days of yore, it stood as a refuge where trendsetters could discover coveted pieces like the sophisticated Ralph Lauren dress shirt amid a diverse array of eclectic boutiques, defining this urban treasure trove.

Its sprawling expanse, spanning multiple floors, hosted a vibrant marketplace of independent shops, reminiscent of a bygone era. For those who haven't explored Birmingham in many years, it might come as a surprise that the Oasis is still thriving, now over 50 years old. Recently, I had the pleasure of 3-D scanning this architectural gem, freezing it in time. Birmingham's landscape is ever-changing, and while we can't predict the future, capturing the Oasis in its timeless state serves as a testament to the city's enduring charm.

Please enjoy this glimpse into the past. I have pasted a link to the 3D tour and a QR code in case the link is not available.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 14.54.11.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 14.54.11.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 11
The Oasis, once a concealed treasure, was a beloved embodiment of Birmingham's identity, drawing those with a refined taste for the latest trends. In days of yore, it stood as a refuge where trendsetters could discover coveted pieces like the sophisticated Ralph Lauren dress shirt amid a diverse array of eclectic boutiques, defining this urban treasure trove.

Its sprawling expanse, spanning multiple floors, hosted a vibrant marketplace of independent shops, reminiscent of a bygone era. For those who haven't explored Birmingham in many years, it might come as a surprise that the Oasis is still thriving, now over 50 years old. Recently, I had the pleasure of 3-D scanning this architectural gem, freezing it in time. Birmingham's landscape is ever-changing, and while we can't predict the future, capturing the Oasis in its timeless state serves as a testament to the city's enduring charm.

Please enjoy this glimpse into the past. I have pasted a link to the 3D tour and a QR code in case the link is not available.

Excellent post . Used to go in most Saturdays in the 70s when shopping in Brum City Centre seemed more of enclosed atmosphere then. Great memories.

Very interesting. If only our ancestors had had that available.
Imagine that, well they did in a way, cave drawings was the latest tech back then :)

Is there anybody aware of Birmingham buildings that might be on the brink of demolition in the near future? I'm exploring the idea of 3D scanning these structures to create a digital record, ensuring we have at least a lasting 3D virtual representation of our city's rich history. Think iconic places like The Tower Ballroom or any other significant landmarks. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated as preserving our cultural heritage at the very least in the digital realm is of great importance.

Yes we've been jotting down buildings throughout this site. But the thread below might be of interest, although you may already know about some of them. Although some are listed it can mean very little if they suddenly burn down to the ground. Any building of historical, geographical and social value is worth visually recording, as these things can happen literally overnight.

Yes, the walls were black - well everywhere was in there in the 1970s when I used to go in. Lots of open stalls along the walkways. Always a sense of lots of stock crammed in to small units. And there'd be an overpowering scent of patchouli. Bought a number of clothes in there. Got a tie dyed velvet smock top (yes tie dyed velvet - wouldn't have thought it possible). Also got a cheesecloth smock - loved those, comfy in summer. Perfect with loon pants - I had a purple velvet pair and a black velvet pair. Such richly textured fashion in the 70's - I loved that time. Never went into Oasis again after the mid-80s.

Last edited:
I remember it well when visiting in the 90's. As said it was a very enclosed place and warren like. A great place to go for the latest indie clothes (I got many patches and badges from there). Catered for indie fans, mods, rockers, new gen punks. Haven't been near it since about 2005. But many a happy memory there.

Yes, the walls were black - well everywhere was in there in the 1970s when I used to go in. Lots of open stalls along the walkways. Always a sense of lots of stock crammed in to small units. And there'd be an overpowering scent of patchouli. Bought a number of clothes in there. Got a tie dyed velvet smock top (yes tie dyed velvet - wouldn't have thought it possible). Also got a cheesecloth smock - loved those, comfy in summer. Perfect with loon pants - I had a purple velvet pair and a black velvet pair. Such richly textured fashion in the 70's - I loved that time. Never went into Oasis again after the mid-80s.
Viv, you took the words out of my mouth - the thing I remember most was that scent of patchouli! It was more the late 70s early 80s when I shopped there. It always seemed a very exotic place, there was nowhere like it, especially for the extremely pointed shoes favoured by me and my friends at the time. Mod revival era!

Back