• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Jewellery Quarter

We took a walk around the Jewellery Quarter yesterday and took photographs of a couple of things. I'll put them on the forum as separate items. Firstly, I hadn't walked down Warstone Lane for some and was slightly shocked to see this building. There's a bar on the corner and a coffee shop next door but it was the building material that stopped me in my tracks. Maybe they thought it was in keeping with the grey of the cemetery offices - I don't know. It's actually darker than it looks in the photos. Can anyone remember what was there until recently please?

View attachment 154424View attachment 154425View attachment 154426
Think that used to be Payton Pepper

Yes It's a Phyllis Nicklin photo taken in mid 1963. Engelhards was an American Corporation of platinum smelters and refiners, with the premises in the photo (right) being their UK base.

Last edited:
Hi, my grandad Eric Davis owned a jewellers in the jewellery quarter called ‘Eric’s’ in the 70s-probably early 90s. He has recently died - age 95- and I’m trying to find anyone who might have known him, or worked for him at the shop. His funeral will be in a few weeks time and it would be really nice if we could find people who may wish to come along.
Many thanks
Rebecca Humphrey
When I worked on Hylton Street in the Jewellery Quarter in the ’80s, Eric’s was very well known and seemed to have a reputation for the best prices.

Welcome Roy,
Was your aunt Phyllis Nicklin, the photographer and Geography Lecturer?
https://www.thegridproject.org.uk/nicklin-index.html

If so, you would find her on Ancestry and could contact the tree owner and through them other relatives. Living people are not named on Ancestry, but if you know the family you can work out who is who. And the tree owner can grant you permission to see their tree.
Derek

Last edited:
Back