• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phyllis Nicklin

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
This is a compilation of the information collected by BHF members on the life of Phyllis Nicklin. Thanks to all who contributed. Viv.

The Wright family

Phyllis's grandparents
Alfred George Wright (b.1856) and Elizabeth Amelia (b1856, d. 29 Oct 1940)

Phyllis's mother
Amelia Jane Wright b.18 July 1879, d. June 1969, aged 89

Phyllis's uncles
Alfred J Wright (b1878),
William C Wright (b1882)
Harold C Wright (b 1893).

Phyllis's aunt
Annie Elizabeth Wright (b.1885), who later married Denston and was widowed by 1940.

In 1891 Alfred and Elizabeth were living at 58 Erasmus Rd, Bordesley with their children Amelia J, William C and Annie E. By 1901 they were all living at 44 Gillott Road, Edgbaston, with the addition of Harold C.

The Nicklin family

Phyllis's grandparents
William Nicklin (b. 1839) and Emma (b.1837)

Phyllis's father
Charles Horace Nicklin b.1880, d. 1920, Birmingham

Phyllis's uncles
Francis W (b. 1867), Albert (b.1870) and George H (b.1877).

Phyllis's aunts
Henrietta (b.1874) and Emma L (b. 1875).

In 1881 William and Emma were living at 30 Vaughton Street, Aston with their children Francis W, Albert, Henrietta, Emma L, George H and Charles H. By 1891 they had all moved to 73 Umbersley Road, Balsall Heath. In 1901, Charles was living with just his mother at 82 Stoney Lane, Yardley and was at this time working as a Traveller for a warehouse.

Phyllis Amelia Nicklin

In 1906, Phyllis's parents, Charles Horace Nicklin and Amelia Jane, were married in the district of Kings Norton. Phyllis Amelia was born on 9 May 1909. In 1911 they were living at 18 Link Road, Ladywood, Birmingham.

Between 1927 and 1940 Phyllis, Amelia Jane (Phyllis's mother) and Amelia's mother, Elizabeth Amelia (Phyllis's maternal grandmother) were living at 44 Gillott Road, Edgbaston. Elizabeth Amelia died aged 84 on 29 October 1940 at 1 Western Road (Dudley Road Hospital).

In 1945 Amelia Jane (Phyllis's mother), Phyllis and Harold C (her brother) had moved to 84 Willow Avenue in Edgbaston. In 1948 Harold married Marjorie D Fry in Birmingham. Harold died in Rhyl, Wales in 1985.

Phyllis's mother, Amelia Jane, died on the 17th June 1969 at her home, 16 Middle Park Road, Selly Oak. Phyllis would be the official witness to her mother’s death, and would sadly pass away herself months later on the 18 November at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Below are various contributors describing Phyllis's life and work.

Posted by Astoness and contributed by Professor Carl Chinn:

"She attended George Dixon Grammar School for Girls and went on to Birmingham
University where she obtained her BA in Geography 1930 and MA in 1931. In
1934 she published a pioneering article on 'The Early Historical Geography
of the Forest of Arden' in the Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological
Society. In the same year she was appointed Senior Geography Mistress at
Sutton High School and ten years later became Lecturer in Geography at
Nottingham University, where she also took responsibility as Sub-Warden of
the Women Students Hostel.

In 1946 Phyllis accepted a post, which brought her back to the West
Midlands, as Lecturer in Geography at Dudley Training College. Four years
later, in 1950, she was appointed Lecturer and later Staff Tutor in
Geography in the University of Birmingham's Extra-Mural Department, a post
she held until her death on 18 November 1969".

An extract posted by Toby 44. Phyllis Nicklin's obituary from ‘Geography’ Vol. 55, No. 2, April 1970 – (c) The Geographical Association:

"With the sudden and untimely passing of Miss P. A. Nicklin, for many years the indefatigable Honorary Secretary of the Birmingham Branch, the Association in particular and geography in general has lost one of its staunchest adherents. A graduate and postgraduate of the University of Birmingham, Phyllis Nicklin gained wide teaching experience in schools and colleges before becoming Staff Tutor in Geography to the Extra-mural Department at Birmingham. For well over twenty years she has been the driving force behind what is possibly the most successful liaison between an academic department, an extra-mural department, and a local branch of the Association that could be found in any university city. In that time she saw the growth of the Branch to a present membership of 1200, the holding of a most successful Spring Conference in Birmingham in 1965, and the publication by the Branch of a series of excursion guides to the West Midlands. She will be long remembered for her valuable contributions to Council and Executive meetings, for the stimulating courses that she arranged on behalf of thousands of extra-mural students, for her well-organized excursions, and, not least, for her kindly, effective and dedicated service to the Birmingham Branch".

An extract posted by Vivienne14 from Avril Maddrell's book "Complex Locations: Women's Geographical Work in the UK, 1859 - 1970". She described Phyllis as a "great rock in the world of geographical education" and was kind and efficient. Her full description is below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
And should the occasion arise to award a blue plaque (!!!) here are family residences.
1. 18 Link Road posted by Pudding
2. 44 Gillott Road, Edgbaston posted by Vivienne 14
3. Middle Park Road, Selly Oak posted by Pudding

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 152
This is a most useful and welcome new thread. The work achieved by this lady is immense and does deserve a much more cohesive thread here.

I am sure older and newer Members will find it of great interest from time to time in the research.

smashing info viv thank you its nice to have it together under this thread...now all we need is a photographer of this very special lady....

lyn

Hi,
Ancestry Family Tree compiler contacting Phyllis Nicklin's relatives to seek for photograph

Fingers crossed Lyn and Jim. One way or another, there's bound to be one turns up. Thanks both for pursuing. Viv.

thanks for your efforts jim fingers crossed on that...

not heard back from nottingham uni as yet will give them another few days before i chase them up..

viv i get the impression that phyllis was quite a private person so like me she may have run a mile from cameras pointing in her direction lol...

lyn

Think that's probably true Lyn. I doubt she'd have escaped the camera on field trips though. One things that's a certainty is that anyone on a field trip will take plenty of photos. But that might mean finding someone that went on a field trip with her.

Not had anything back from the Geographical Association either. Will chase again. Viv.

I think it is an excellent idea to gather together the facts that come to light, I look forward to seeing what else arises. Thank-you for putting this together. Toby.

hi folks received this reply yesterday from nottingham uni...back to the drawing board think i will try the library next..

Our ref: JRA/14/04/2015/422/P1-3

Dear Linda

Thank you for your enquiry concerning Phyllis Nicklin, which we received on the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] April.

Although we do hold staff photographs (individual portraits and groups), I regret that using the catalogues currently available to us, we have been unable to find any of Phyllis in our collections.

I am very sorry indeed that we cannot be of help on this occasion.

Yours sincerely
The Enquiry Officer
Manuscripts and Special Collections
The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham
NG7 2NR

Lyn, just to pick up on Viviennes post the Harold C that was living with her mother and died in 1985 was born in 1920 and I believe he was Phyllis brother born Kings norton 1920 mother s maiden name Wright.
It may be worth tracing the Nickilin /Fry descendants.
I have sent you message as these people are living.

Lyn, just to pick up on Viviennes post the Harold C that was living with her mother and died in 1985 was born in 1920 and I believe he was Phyllis brother born Kings norton 1920 mother s maiden name Wright.

Many thanks Alberta. Harold C had baffled me when I looked at the records. So for clarification, we therefore have 2 Harold C's; one Harold C Wright b.1893 and the other Harold C Nicklin b.1920, who married Marjorie Fry. I've edited my post 3 above to refer this second Harold C as Phyllis's brother, not uncle.

Hi Lyn. Pity about Nottingham Uni reply. Keep on plodding! Viv.

thanks alberta yes harold b 1920 was the brother of phyllis...as you say it could be worth a look on ancestry for the fry family...

cheers

lyn

Has anyone tried GD Grammar School. Don't they have year books or similar?

great idea jim and i think if there are any photos of a young phyllis at the school we should be ok with the 100 year data protection act...going to the library hopefully on friday so fingers crossed...

lyn

Sutton High group photos between 1934 and 1944? (Although they are very unlikely to be captioned).

Chris

I have been championing Phyllis for a long time and I am delighted she is being researched by the Forum.

I have just discovered that the rest of her slides, some 1,100 have been discovered in an old filing cabinet
at the University. Link below. It seems that her slides are being digitised ready to go on display. Unfortunately no photo of her has ever been found. I have wondered if she slipped onto one of her photo's!!
We wil never know will we.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+...den+in+university+filing+cabinet.-a0407875769

OK guys I ought to have read the other post on Phyllis, you already know about the Brumpic site.
I am so excited about the find though.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about it, but she knew exactly what she was doing didn't she!!

Her father was Charles Horace, not Charles Howard Nicklin.

Last edited:
After much searching for photos of Phyllis, we now have two images of her as a young woman. The images were obtained by Devonjim (many thanks) from the Nicklin family. The family has given permission for the images to appear on BHF, and I'd like to thank them for helping us in our search for a photo of her. One is a photograph of her the other is a drawing (unfortunately the artist is unknown).

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks also to to the various members who have given their time in the search for images of Phyllis. [/FONT]

The two images are reproduced below with the kind permission of the Nicklin family.

Viv.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi

My name is Paul Charles Nicklin and I am the nephew of Phyllis Nicklin. My father was Harold Charles Nicklin Phyllis's brother. I have become aware of this webiste and the interest in my aunt in the last 24 hours and am a little taken aback by the current interest and the work that has been done here in relation to my aunt. I was aware of the archive of photographs that were donated to B'ham University by my father on Phylis's death but it is some time since I looked on the web and there has clearly been a great deal more work digitising the archive. I spent many summer holiday's with my aunt who died when I was 16. They were always immensely interesting if rather unconventional affairs. My aunt generally carried on with her usual busy schedule of activities and I tagged along. I will never forget my introduction to novel concepts such as the 'lost village' (a seeminly nice green field) a fascinating concept to a boy more used to the loss of conkers rather than whole villages! Everywhere we went was accompanied by a fascinating commentary on what we were passing, its history and its context. Of course there were many stops at which time the camera inevitably came out. She was I know very aware that much of what we were looking at was being lost - this was the 60's when the interest in the past and our heritage was not as strong as today. She certainly saw herslf as recording a fast disappearing world both for her lectures and I think future generations. It was always her intention to retire and write about B'ham and Midlands from her historical / geographical / social perspective but sadly that was not to be - I am sure much was lost from her vast but sadly unrecorded treasury of information.

I am also impressed by the information that you have found and collated about my aunt some of which I was not aware of. I hold the 'family archive' such as it is but have not checked everything aganst it. However one or two things have jumped out at me:

Phyllis's father was Charles Horace Nicklin b 1880 - this seems to have morphed into Charles Howard Nicklin.

My father died in Rhyl not Rhuddlan. Rhudllan is close to Rhyl and there may be some issue of how the deaths are recorded here.

Finally, there appears to have been much work undertaken trying to find a picture of my aunt. It was this quest that ended up with me via a circuitous route which alerted me to this site and the publication of Phyllis's pictures by the Post. I am happy to say that I have quite a number of pictures of her amounting to more than a shadow! I also have a simple, but not without charm, drawing of her. Most of them date from her early life to about the age of around 25, thereafter she seems to have become camera shy or more likely behind the camera. I have been asked if these can be published here and in the Post and am quite happy with this. However I am sorry that those of you interested in what she looked like will need to wait a little longer as I feel the 'threader' (is that the right term?) who finally tracked me down should have the honour of posting them.

hi paul and wow at long last a photograph of the lady behind the camera a lady that so many of us have long admired many thanks for sharing with us...phyllis is fast becoming a major part of birmingham history and quite rightly so. we now know there is to be a large exhibition in the autumn of her work here in birmingham where she will get the credit she deserves....thanks also for your childhood memories of your aunt what a privilege to have been a part of her life..i think it was just over 1000 unseen slides that were recently discovered in a filing cabinet at the university and i beleive that they still have about 400 to scan...

thanks to viv for starting this thread and to devonjim who tracked down the nicklin family you are a star jim...

looking forward to seeing the other photos of phyllis when time permits...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I would be very interested to have details of the exhibition when they become available.

Back