• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Griffin Inn

The wife & I have enjoyed many glasses there, didn't realise that it was in the family!
I'll explain; Edward Moss (you refer to him) and wife Emma and family were there according to census data in 1871 when he's listed as Publican & Farmer of 26 Acres. Edward died in 1880, Emma was listed as running the pub in 1881 with help from Daughters Sarah & Betsey.
Their Son Edward married Betsy Sandon, the Daughter of William & Betsy licencees at The Beehive Inn, Curdworth.
Their Daughter Elizabeth is my Gt Gt Grandmother!
Strange how I feel quite at home in either pub, or any other actually?!

I remember the Griffin Inn i drank there in 1979, i worked for Birmingham social services at shawbury community home school, i am in the UK in september visiting family and will be flying out of Birmingham airport, i will have to visit the griffin, anyone know of any local accomodation near to the griffin Inn. does anyone remember or know Peter Griffin or John Graves i worked with them at Shawbury school.
I know this is a very old post but I remember Peter Griffin (Painting Department) and John Graves. I've attached a staff photo of them both.

Attachments

• Shawbury School Staff.JPG
    Shawbury School Staff.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 11
Many moons ago I worked for an agricultural company named Midland Sires Farmers who had a local depot at Shustoke which was located next to the railway line about midway between the Griifin and the crossroads. Whenever there was a business meeting it was always held in the Griffin. Superb ales and food.

Hi ,

I used the Griffin a few times in the 1980s, and I remember the tables
in there were all made from the bases of treadle sewing machines.
Anyone else remember these?

Kind regards
Dave

Those tables may have been from Shawbury School. which was demolished in the early 1980s The School had its own laundry and a sewing machine shop where they altered and repaired the boys uniforms.

Really interesting posts on this topic. The Griffin is a proper traditional old English country pub (beams, no music, a stone bar, real ales and CAMRA awarded) . We met up there for our Christmas lunch every year (prior to lockdown) travelling by train from work at the city centre and later from our homes (following our retirement) for about 15 years, and have also attended a few Summer Beer Festivals there too. Here are two photographs of the bar & one of the beer festival:

1654263347037.png 1654263425503.png 1654264350059.png

Back