• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The family Mason

Richard63

Hello. I'm trying to trace my relatives on my paternal grandmothers side. Her name was Nell(ie) Mason. Born in Birmingham c1884. I know that she had 6 brothers - I only know two of the names, Henry and Sid - and they all served in the Coldstream Guards. I think they lived in or around Aston/Nechells.
She married a Walter Goulding. Does anyone recognise or know anything of the people named here? Many thanks.

Appears to have been born 1 Jun 1891, the daughter of Henry Mason and Emma Moulton. Living at 17 St Clements Road in 1939.

Possible siblings (some may have died young) - James 1888, Elizabeth 1890, Henry 1893, Emily 1895, William 1897, Frank 1899, Frederick John 1901, Samuel 1902, Arthur 1904, Sidney 1906

Elizabeth & Frederick John appear to have died young.

Last edited:
In 1891 Henry & Emma and family are on Railway Terrace, in 1901 they're on Trevor St, in 1911 they're on Johnson St and in 1921 Emma (re-married but widowed again) is still there.

All Nechells.

Appears to have been born 1 Jun 1891, the daughter of Henry Mason and Emma Moulton. Living at 17 St Clements Road in 1939.

Possible siblings (some may have died young) - James 1888, Elizabeth 1890, Henry 1893, Emily 1895, William 1897, Frank 1899, Frederick John 1901, Samuel 1902, Arthur 1904, Sidney 1906

Elizabeth & Frederick John appear to have died young.
Thank you so much for your help; immediately I'm a lot further forward!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks again, MWS.
Do any people with the surname Mason recognise any of the above great-uncles of mine? are they your family?
Thanks

It a little easier this time to trace back than forward, Mason being a fairly common name.

Emily possibly married an Edwin Davis. Frank pos. m Elizabeth Mary Goode (no children). William pos. m Florence Margaret Lee (3 or 4 children maybe).

And a few more...

Arthur pos. never married. Sidney pos. m Doris Rowley (1 daughter).

Last edited:
Thanks again, MWS.
Do any people with the surname Mason recognise any of the above great-uncles of mine? are they your family?
Thanks
are you actually researching your family tree or looking for living members of your family ?

lyn

Back