• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Cabin, Coventry Rd, Sheldon

Hi Kathy, I found a little more information in a 1940 Kellys Directory
These are the dwellings listed between Barrows Lane and Three Horsehoes Lane.

2086 Jasper, Wltr Jn, Butcher (as seen in one of the photos I posted earlier in the thread..will re-post asap)
2088 Parkins, Emily, draper
2090 Harper, Arthur E
2092 Broadley, Wm Edwd
2096 Smethurst, Willie, shopkeeper

Presumably The Cabin was one of those buildings ?

I remember a fish and chip shop, where the double hgy starts in Sheldon. Also a bike shop on the left side Cov rd before Eldon Air port in a small shopping centre. another chippie across from the pub John Crump OldBrit.Parker.Co USA

Hi oldbrit, I'm not sure where you mean for the chippy (double hgy ?) but I remember the bike shop..my Mom used to work in that precinct.

Hi lindyloo
I remeber i used to walk with a pram down from the Radleys to Horseshoe lane to get coal from a merchant on the corner, i can't remember the name, but it was about by where a church now stands. I would say in the late 50s early 60s.
Perhaps someone will remember the name.

Regards Stars

Hi Lindyloo, yes number 2090 Coventry Road was The Cabin and my Uncle was Arthur Harper who was the best uncle you could ever have. Interesting that they were living there in 1940 and obviously during the rest of the war because I seem to remember being told my Dad stayed with them when he was released from POW camp at the end of the war. Thanks for spending time on it for me, its really kind of you.

Hi stars, I don't know the name of the coal merchants you referred to but I know Thomas Moore's Church stands there now.

Hi Lindyloo, yes number 2090 Coventry Road was The Cabin and my Uncle was Arthur Harper who was the best uncle you could ever have. Interesting that they were living there in 1940 and obviously during the rest of the war because I seem to remember being told my Dad stayed with them when he was released from POW camp at the end of the war. Thanks for spending time on it for me, its really kind of you.
Hi Kathy, spending time is not a problem, pleased to be able to help :)

Isn't that where they built the telephone exchange?
Hi Neville, The photo of the old sheldon cinema is taken along the coventry rd. The telephone exchange was at the back of the cinema along lyndon rd ,it was called the sheldon telephone exchange , very modern in those days, all switches after I had worked at telephone house which was all cord and plug boards. I worked there from around 1971-1976 as a telephonist, shame it had to go but thats advancement i guess.

hi wendy i also worked on the old cord and plug boards for a couple of firms from about 71 until 75...loved the work but as you say progress had to take over

lyn

Hi Astoness, I worked at Telephone house from around 1967 to 1971 when the new exchange opened in sheldon, I much preferred the old cord and plug boards. I knew a Lyn Johnston who worked at Telephone house lived in Erdington then ???

Hi lindyloo
I remeber i used to walk with a pram down from the Radleys to Horseshoe lane to get coal from a merchant on the corner, i can't remember the name, but it was about by where a church now stands. I would say in the late 50s early 60s.
Perhaps someone will remember the name.

Regards Stars

Hi Lindloo I vaguely remember a coal merchant in horseshoes lane as I walked that way to work I think it was near to Coventry rd end but cant remember the name of it.
Wendy

I remember the coal merchant in Horse Shoes Lane but unfortunately cannot recall his name. I also have a recollection of my Mom telling me to stand by the coal house door and count the number of bags being delivered by the coalman!

Hi Lindloo I vaguely remember a coal merchant in horseshoes lane as I walked that way to work I think it was near to Coventry rd end but cant remember the name of it.
Wendy

The coal merchants yard on Horse Shoes Lane was Shepherd York & Co Ltd. I suppose it disappeared when they build that large office block that stands on the corner of Horse Shoes Lane now.horse shoes lane.JPG

Hi Neville, The photo of the old sheldon cinema is taken along the coventry rd. The telephone exchange was at the back of the cinema along lyndon rd ,it was called the sheldon telephone exchange , very modern in those days, all switches after I had worked at telephone house which was all cord and plug boards. I worked there from around 1971-1976 as a telephonist, shame it had to go but thats advancement i guess.
Hi Wendylee. When you worked at the exchange in Sheldon I wonder if you remember a friend of mine who I believe worked there for a time on maintenance Dave Hudson.

The coal merchants yard on Horse Shoes Lane was Shepherd York & Co Ltd. I suppose it disappeared when they build that large office block that stands on the corner of Horse Shoes Lane now.View attachment 128015

Hi Phil, thank you for posting the map , that is exactly where I remembered the coal merchants , great to see it on the map. As you said they then built that large building on the corner. I also remember the bowling green at the back of The Three Horse shoes, we occasionally went there with our parents for pop and crisps haha The memory is a wonderful thing that was over 55 years ago.
Wendy

Hi Wendylee. When you worked at the exchange in Sheldon I wonder if you remember a friend of mine who I believe worked there for a time on maintenance Dave Hudson.

Hi Elmdon Boy, No sorry I don't remember him , there were a number of telephone engineers working there but I cant remember him.

Hi KathyP,
Are you referring to the row of shops and houses that were opposite the Sheldon? There was one called ’The Cave’ they sold small ornaments and nick knacks, it also had a photography studio at the back.

nick
It was called 'Studio Cave'.

Hello All - a bit late joining this thread but I just stumbled on it and can add a few details. The bank of shops did have a laundrette. Standing across the road (cinema side) and looking at the bank of shops left to right (from about 1969 to 1977) the shops were an estate agent, a chinese restaurant, a traditional cafe (supasnack) and the laundrette. The road at the back (now Clydesdale I think) off Horse Shoes Lane was just a track. We called it "bumpy road"...a pretty accurate description. Mr & Mrs Cave ran The Cave/Studio Cave. They were lovely and befriended this little lad while his Mum & Dad worked hard running "Supasnack". We lived in the flats above the row of shops.

Back