• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Beehive

Re: Long Lost Pubs

Yes You Are Right The Beehive Was At The Top End Of Albert St .,
Does Any body Recall The Little Pub In Camden Street Called The Grotto
A Great Little Pub With A Cracking Snug In The Back Room With The Open
Fire And The Sing Along Around The Old Joe Anna, ?
It Was Posh ,And It Was Highly Clean , And It Was Next Door To Willmott
And Breeddon , Factory .
My Memoris Are Coming Back To ME Today, Thanks To Dead wood Request s
Have A Great Day Everybody . Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

The Beehive Department Store Albert St and The Beehive Public House Bull Street.

Phil

CityAlbertStBeehive.jpg
CityBullSt1954TheBeehive.jpg

Ernie,

Nor do I mate, I remember the Beehive department store well and often went in there with my mother.

I'm afraid when the Beehive pub was around I was probably to young to notice pubs.

When I posted the photo's this thread was on the lost pubs post, when Brenda mentioned the Beehive store. I posted the two to show that the one was a pub and the other a store.

Phil

Phil. Good of you mate, I remember the Beehive in the 1960's when I went shopping there with my Mrs. Had to pass it when we parked in Curzon Street
and walked up the hill into town. ( Those were the days, dont think either of us could manage it today.)

Ernie,

Nor do I mate, I remember the Beehive department store well and often went in there with my mother.

I'm afraid when the Beehive pub was around I was probably to young to notice pubs.

When I posted the photo's this thread was on the lost pubs post, when Brenda mentioned the Beehive store. I posted the two to show that the one was a pub and the other a store.

Phil

Thank's for that great photo of the BeeHive Pub Bull Street, I was last there in 1953 My Uncle Bill Trott and my Aunt was the Licencee, I used to go there on leave from the Navy, so happens that I used to get back late and had to climb over the locked trellis gate at the side there which is pictured in your photo , anyway some person saw me climbe over and reported it to the Police ....however when they called round My Uncle Bill Explained that I lived there whilst on leave.

Very close by was the Drages Furniture Store , are there any photos of '' The Trees" Queslett Road Great Barr ? anywhere ? its I believe called Schofields now .

Hi There Dibbs
I There Dibbs ,
I To Want To Thank Macca For Digging Out That Truely Memorable Memory,s
In My Life Of Youth With A Couple Of Old Buddies
We Had Plenty Of Good Times In There And Sank Gallons Of That Good Old Brown Stuff They Call Ale , My Two Old Buddies Would Be At That Front
Door Before Half Past Ten Opening Then Nipp Up To The Old Wind Mill Pub
Up Spring hill OppersiteThe Old DudleyRoad Hospital, Which Now I Believe They Call The CityHospital B,HAM Where We Would Drink To 2,30 PM
With And Old Friend WhomWas Head Bar man Old Stan Kirby ,
my Two Muckers Was Dave Adams [ STILL Alive And Kicking ] And Graham Frisby WhomWe Sadly Lost ToCancer Afew Years Ago ,
Thanks DIBBY , And Macca For ThoseGolden Years Of Memoris Of My Youth
Incidently Macca IRecall That Mound Of Concrete Of The Pavement Outside The Pub , Thanks LadS Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Astonian,

Somewhere I have seen other other images of the Grotto with people outside, not sure what site it was though, will give it some thought and if I come up with anything I will let you know.

Goodnight.

dib44

I bought my first furniture in 1956 from the Beehive Store, inside there was not a lot of room to move around, steps up steps down and you had to squeeze past other people, it always had that clean clothing smell difficult to describe, the assistants could not do enough for you,

Brenda

Yes you are right Jasper Carrot did work at the Beehive. My mother worked there in the fifties I think. She remembers him well.

Lencops, My uncle used to drive one of the Beehive's delivery vans - he may have delivered your new furniture all those years ago!
Anthea.

The Beehive Store, Albert St, famouse former employee. Len.
FASCINATING FACTS:

Mr Hughes then went through several sights and facts of the ‘not many people know that….’ type beginning with a Branch of Lloyds Bank in Digbeth that showed their original emblem of a beehive. These can still be seen at Poplar Road, Solihull, and Sutton Coldfield. Is this intended to be because like ‘bees store their honey, Lloyds store your money’ or if you want more than you are entitled to the Bank, like bees will sting you! Lloyds began in Birmingham in 1765 and their first branch is marked by a Blue Plaque in Dale End very close to Albert Street where there used to be the Beehive Department Store that once upon a time employed Jasper Carrot as a lino salesman! Lloyds only adopted the Black Horse symbol after they set up in London.

The Beehive Department Store Albert St and The Beehive Public House Bull Street.

Phil

CityAlbertStBeehive.jpg
CityBullSt1954TheBeehive.jpg
Hi Phil. Any chance you could re-post picture of the Beehive pub on Bull Street please? Just doing some family history research and my great-grandfather was licencee during WWII - his name was Foley. My dad would love to see.

Back