• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thanksgiving 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things I’ve learned about food for Thanksgiving in Florida. A turkey is for Thanksgiving, not for Christmas. Accompaniments include stuffing with pecans, mashed potato, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, Brussels sprouts and bread rolls. No sign of a roast potato. Pudding - pumpkin pie or apple pie.

Eaten enough to last me a week.

Viv.

A few things I’ve learned about food for Thanksgiving in Florida. A turkey is for Thanksgiving, not for Christmas. Accompaniments include stuffing with pecans, mashed potato, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, Brussels sprouts and bread rolls. No sign of a roast potato. Pudding - pumpkin pie or apple pie.

Eaten enough to last me a week.

Viv.
Actually Christmas is standing prime rib roast although the turducken is gaining momentum particularly in the southern US.

Where we live in The Pinery Parker, Colorado USA we are overrun with Wild Turkeys they are a nuisance they scratch and poop all over the place
When we lived in NJ the wild turkeys and their poop were terrible! They would come to our double front door and poop all over it.

Mostly he smokes hams, pork and lamb ribs. To be honest the Americans do the best BBQ cooking there is, the Auzzies think they do but they don't

BBQ Pit Boys is a good channel for outdoor cooking https://www.youtube.com/@bbqpitboys/videos
I purchased a new smoker about two month’s ago. Recently I smoked a 17 pound brisket and two 8 pound pork shoulders. Took 12 1/2 hours at 225 f but it was worth it. BBQ freezes very well so my wife packages it in plastic bags for another day!

I live in Canada and we have our Thanksgiving in October. However, we have friends and family in the US. We used to celebrate both...but things have changed and we no longer do. But one of my close friends introduced us to the green bean casserole, which is quite popular at US Thanksgiving dinners. We no longer celebrate this holiday, but we still like to have the casserole occasionally.
Dave A
https://www.mccormick.com/frenchs/recipes/salads-sides/frenchs-green-bean-casserole

I purchased a new smoker about two month’s ago. Recently I smoked a 17 pound brisket and two 8 pound pork shoulders. Took 12 1/2 hours at 225 f but it was worth it. BBQ freezes very well so my wife packages it in plastic bags for another day!
I have a small cold smoker at the top of my garden. I built it a few years ago and let a local retired butcher use it to smoke his bacon and other bits.

The taste of proper smoke is far better than the liquid smoke the commercial outlets use today.

Smoker.jpg

I’d like a smoker for salmon as well. Maybe one day. The ones I’ve seen here are pretty industrial looking. They’re like a mini Stephenson steam engine.

Re #16. The tradition is for green bean casserole here in Florida too, but the family opted for sweet potato casserole - with marshmallow topping ! Sounds odd to us Brits but have to say it was delicious.

Now that Thanksgiving Day is over, it marks the start of Christmas preparations. Have to say it really puts people in the festive mood.

Viv.

I’d like a smoker for salmon as well. Maybe one day. The ones I’ve seen here are pretty industrial looking. They’re like a mini Stephenson steam engine.

Re #16. The tradition is for green bean casserole here in Florida too, but the family opted for sweet potato casserole - with marshmallow topping ! Sounds odd to us Brits but have to say it was delicious.

Now that Thanksgiving Day is over, it marks the start of Christmas preparations. Have to say it really puts people in the festive mood.

Viv.
1669392602504.jpeg
Viv, this is my first smoker. Stainless steel electric. Smoked many fillets of salmon and pork butts on it!

What Is Pork Butt?​

A Guide to Buying and Cooking Pork Butt​

pork-butt-landscape_annotation-356ca8770daf4b5f953e13d7960a79a9.jpg

The Spruce / Lindsay Kreighbaum
Pork butt, despite its colorful name, does not come from anywhere near the butt or behind of the pig. In fact, quite the opposite. Pork butt is a cut of meat from the shoulder of the pig. Pork butt is the cut most typically used in pulled pork. It can be roasted or cut into steaks, but it is also well-suited for braising and stewing or for making ground pork or sausages.

What Is Pork Butt?​

The pork butt consists of parts of the neck, shoulder blade, and upper arm of the pig. It's a moderately tough cut of pork with a good deal of connective tissue. The area of the pig we might think of as the actual "butt," the big muscle at the top of the leg is where the ham—cooked fresh or cured or smoked—comes from. Ham is the thigh and most of the gluteus maximus (that's why it's so meaty).

The name makes sense when you consider that the word "butt" can also mean the thicker end of something (eg, the butt of a gun) or the blunt end of something since a pork butt is the thicker end of the shoulder cut. Pork butt cuts are relatively inexpensive, costing about $2.50 per pound on average.

What Is Pork Butt?​

A Guide to Buying and Cooking Pork Butt​

pork-butt-landscape_annotation-356ca8770daf4b5f953e13d7960a79a9.jpg

The Spruce / Lindsay Kreighbaum
Pork butt, despite its colorful name, does not come from anywhere near the butt or behind of the pig. In fact, quite the opposite. Pork butt is a cut of meat from the shoulder of the pig. Pork butt is the cut most typically used in pulled pork. It can be roasted or cut into steaks, but it is also well-suited for braising and stewing or for making ground pork or sausages.

What Is Pork Butt?​

The pork butt consists of parts of the neck, shoulder blade, and upper arm of the pig. It's a moderately tough cut of pork with a good deal of connective tissue. The area of the pig we might think of as the actual "butt," the big muscle at the top of the leg is where the ham—cooked fresh or cured or smoked—comes from. Ham is the thigh and most of the gluteus maximus (that's why it's so meaty).

The name makes sense when you consider that the word "butt" can also mean the thicker end of something (eg, the butt of a gun) or the blunt end of something since a pork butt is the thicker end of the shoulder cut. Pork butt cuts are relatively inexpensive, costing about $2.50 per pound on average.

Can you tell me in language that does not have to be carefully thought out what a pork butt is? I know what a buttis in American , because I read a lot of Connelly, Grisham, Baldacci et Al.
Bob
The term but is used mostly by BBQers. It is actually the shoulder. The other part that is also used is the leg, mostly without the trotter or hock.
Mikes price is about right, I try to buy at $1.99. Recently I got BOGO buy one get one so I saved a lot with two recently. Viv most likely will know BOGO from Publix.
Hope that clarifies!

Are any of our American based members into pressure/hot bath canning ?
My wife did a little pressure canning, her mother used to do it a lot particularly with summer fruits and vegetables. Where we live we buy farm fresh fruits and vegetables from a weekly farmers market. All are very fresh and locally grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back