• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Terms' children use

Apparently my parents told me when i was a baby i used to call a ice cream Num Nar, where the hell that come from i have no idea and never heard it since

Contribution from my daughter (when younger) was 'flying carrot' for windsock, 'piscetti' for spaghetti and from my brother when young 'umber-digger' - steamroller and 'arranbower' for bow and arrow. We always called condensed milk 'higgledy-piggledy'.

If you remember the cheap clone of the Tonka type of pressed steel toys, my middle son when young and told off for swearing, would wander around muttering "Buddy L, Buddy L". :)

Maurice

My grandaughters used to like "sketti" (spaghetti) and "strangled eggs"....not together though.
When my legs hurt they would say "Hartherhitis".
rosie.

Not so much what children say but what they sometimes do. A short article in The Times today about a schoolgirl in California who added her grandfather's ashes to a batch of cookies she was baking. I have two grandchildren living in California so might end up being the "special ingredient" in a cookie. Dave
P1000251 (2).JPG

Perhaps some of you will remember when my little grandaughter did Nymnastics,not for long because she knocked her front teeth out.
For us when we the Olympics comes round we always watch the Nymnastics.

Principally due to WW2, there was gap between the older grandchildren, in my fathers family and those born after WW2. About the age of twelve I started to visited an aunt and uncle in Moseley. This continued for some time when they had moved to Shirley. One one occasion my cousin, probably about three or four years old advised me that his newly born sister was to have a 'smisslin' and more over there was going to be a 'smisslin' cake as well. This, it transpired, was her christening and its associated cake. :D

Last edited:
Apparently my parents told me when i was a baby i used to call a ice cream Num Nar, where the hell that come from i have no idea and never heard it since

Hi Castalla,

That's a "good un", One of my nieces always referred to Lollipops (sweet or ice) when she was little as "EBBYS"! She still has no idea to this day where that expression came from lol.

Lozellian.

When my son was young he said Chimley for chimney and stummy was stomach/tummy
Wendy

Hi Wendylee,

Another gem this time from my youngest granddaughter, we were having an issue with the cold water cistern in the loft recently and we were in the back garden; when the overflow started and she turned round and said "oh Nan look your house is leaking (out of the mouths of babes priceless).

Lozellian.

I was in the Doctors waiting room a while ago, when I overheard a conversation between a small girl (6 or 7) and a lady. The lady said hello and asked the little girl how old she was, to which the girl told her how old she was & returned the question to the lady. The lady said she didn't know so the little girl smiled and said don't worry, if you look at the label in the back of your knickers that will tell you, brilliant you couldn't make these up lol.

Lozellian.

One Winter evening we told our young son that Jack Frost would be here tonight.
Next morning he looked out of the window said "look, jock frast.
We still say things like "There's going to be a jock tonight"

My son is now 60 but he was always asking questions one after the other when he was a toddler , I was busy and only half listening one day and he was watching the TV, whats that he asked and I said an 'Um'-- tractor. Since that day farmers drive Umtractors

My auntie ran the shop in a small village in Warwickdhire.One day I was in the shop with her when a little lad came in.
He was very small and very young.
"Yes dear"said auntie and the lad said something like:" IKKABOKKAOYEEOY"
Auntie started looking along the shelves,then said "Here you are dear"and gave him his order--A LITTLE BOTTLE OF
OLIVE OIL.
Auntie certainly knew her customers !

Tojo.

Back