• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tamworth field trainspotting

Very interesting .doc Mike. I remember bunking Crewe shed and also touring the works which was a fantastic experience.
A month ago I visited Crewe Heritage Centre but instead of going direct to Crewe from Derby, I went via Tamworth and, while waiting for the connection to Crewe, I walked to what was the field-now full of caravans and homes!
I timed the Crewe trip to coincide with 46233 Duchess of Sutherland taking the "Yorkshire Coronation" to York and Scarborough from Derby. What a fantastic sight in it's green livery!
By the way, 46233 headed the "Scarborough Flyer" on 12th July from Tyseley, via Coleshill and Tamworth.

Here are a couple of pics taken at Derby.
P1010460.JPGP1010458.jpgP1010462.jpg

1947 to 1951 - used to spot at either Snow \hill having bought the requisite return to Tyseley and travelled on the local every couple of hours. New Street was 'verboten' for spotters unless you had a ticket to travel and did. There was a very unpleasant officious railway official used to patrol, a day dodging him was quite a feat and Tamworth (Coton Crossing and signal box. One of the signalmen there was very friendly and used to let us up in the box. We were allowed to peg the midday scot and also the local out of the paper mill (this included changing the points to put it on the main line. Happy Days. I met a number of locals and Birmingham lads there during my visits.

Never had any trouble "Spotting" on New Street myself at those times.
Maybe I was just lucky.
Used to go into town on the number 2 tram from Salford Bridge and spend the day between New Street and Snow Hill, jam buttie sarnies and a bottle of pop, heaven.
Good times.

I never had any problems at New Street or Snow Hill in fact I don't recall any problems at Tamworth or Rugby either as one of the previous messages said. I still hope that someone has a log of a day at Tamworth from the 50s so that I can see what I would have seen over the day there but so far no luck. One friend of mine has provided a log of a day at Rugby in the 60s but it features a lot of diesels but it is better than nothing. I live in hope!!

Hi

Other than occasionally being turfed out of the Field at Tamworth never had any trouble anywhere 1952 onwards.
Snow Hill required a Platform Ticket.

Mike Jenks

It would be great if one of the mags. could run an article 'Steam Days at Tamworth' I think there is enough info out there to do this. I never had any problems at New St, Snow Hill or the Tamworth Field. Only got moved on at Rugby by the GC bridge.

Around two or three years ago STEAM WORLD ran a good feature article about 'the field' at Tamworth, with photos taken from the air that explained the full layout of the area. The story included added comments from former generations of train spotters. Eddie

I have heard about this article in Steam World but have been unable to find the date of publication to try to get a copy, if anyone out there has this article could they put it on the site or let me have a copy please. Cheers.

Dave...Try Mike, he may know about the article, because his aerial photo (#62) is one of the photographs from the article. Eddie

Hi Mike only trouble is when I looked at their site there were no copies available, well not that I could find. I can't open the document in your post sorry. cheers. Dave

Not sure of the device you are on Dave but the Word Doc does not open directly for me but it does download onto the computer where it can be opened in Word, Open Office or Libre. I assume it will also open in other similar software.

Hi

Just to let everybody know a distant signal northbound had just been raised. Before lights. Pegs are the horizontal part.
Clangers were the bells from the signal box.

There were 2 cries for clangers one was Clangers which was on the main line & baby clangers which meant a local or freight was coming on the platform, I also think this referred to Northbound lines. What I can't remember is what the other one was for the southbound? stoppers. I wait for confirmation or correction.

Was the down distant visible from the field? I remember the box was on the down side adjacent to the field but the distant signal would be further away. Some lads would watch/listen to the cables from the box and cry out before the peg moved.

Mike.

Looking at some photographs c1948/1953 the up platform splitting starter fitted with miniature 'pegs' and adjacent was a very tall signal with a repeater 'peg' controlling the up main. This signal was removed before my time at the field, I am told the 'clangers' cry referred to the noise made by the 'peg' returning to the 'danger' position and the 'cry remained in use long afterwards. I imagine the cry 'baby clangers' referred to the up platform starter.

Mike.

Tamwoth Field 001.jpgLooking through some of my old 1940's railway books..........still have them!...........I came across this article written in The Railway Magazine issue of July/August 1948.

Eddie

(With acknowledgements to The Railway Magazine).

View attachment 97433Looking through some of my old 1940's railway books..........still have them!...........I came across this article written in The Railway Magazine issue of July/August 1948.

Eddie

(With acknowledgements to The Railway Magazine).

I cannot get the print any larger, so it may be difficult to read. However, it says the following:

"SPOTTING" BAN AT TAMWORTH.
Railway enthusiasts who take their summer pleasure in the observation of traffic from line side or station platforms are normally the most decorous of people, and it is unfortunate that the misdeeds of a small minority - mainly irresponsible youngsters whose interest in trains is likely to be ephemeral - should have led to one of the best vantage points in the country being placed "out of bounds" to all invenile* spotters. This is Tamworth Station, where the intersection on different levels of the main lines from Euston to the North, and from Derby to Birmingham, offers a practically continuous flow of railway entertainment. In the light of the evidence adduced as to the extent of trespassing and interference with equipment, the authorities of the London Midland Region seem to have had no alternative to the imposition of the ban, but there appears to be no intention of extending it unless similar local difficulties arise elsewhere .

*the word 'invenile' is as per the book, but I believe it as a misprint for 'juvenile'.

Eddie

This should be better

Tamwoth_Field__spotting_ban.jpg

Hi

By the time I got there circa 1952 the Ban was in effect. My last spotting s were in 1960 and the Ban was still in effect on the Station.
Thats why the Field became our home for the Day. A bit hit and miss. Walking thro to the Embankment bridge then hearing the field was open.
The station today is open but no spotters just a few.

Mike Jenks

On this thread there has been talk of 'SEMIS'. I found this nice photo in my private album, of 40/50's photos,City of Bristol & Royal Warks Regt 001 - Copy.jpg showing City of Bristol, in 'Semi' condition. That is, the top of the smoke box is tapered, to allow for former stream lining. Also note that the front buffer beam is split from the main frame, unlike later Coronation class engines, that were built without stream lining.

I have added the second photo, which is of Royal Scot class, 46131 The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I thought that it may be of local interest.

City of Bristol & Royal Warks Regt 002.jpg Note the L.M.S tender.

Eddie

Hi

By the time I got there circa 1952 the Ban was in effect. My last spotting s were in 1960 and the Ban was still in effect on the Station.
Thats why the Field became our home for the Day. A bit hit and miss. Walking thro to the Embankment bridge then hearing the field was open.
The station today is open but no spotters just a few.

I started trainspotting in 1952 at the age of 12 and Tamworth was a regular Saturday morning treat. I used to go from New St Station as I lived in Aston. I really don't recall too much about the kids that were doing likewise. However, I do remember an occasion where there was a 45 gallon drum on the field. Naturally, as kids, this hunk of metal was a big attraction in between the trains. It was there for some time before it eventually got so damaged that the top became loose. Someone decided it was time to find out what was inside and threw a lighted match in it. It blew the top right off the drum and the kid with the match got burned quite bad. Never did find out what happened to him, but this was the only example of real mischief that I can recall happening in the field for the more than 3 years that I was going there. I have just found this thread and I'm thrilled that I'm not the only one that has fond memories of this great location. i still love steam, especially Staniers...

Dave A

Last edited by a moderator:
Back