• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tamworth field trainspotting

There were 2 cries for clangers one was Clangers which was on the main line & baby clangers which meant a local or freight was coming on the platform, I also think this referred to Northbound lines. What I can't remember is what the other one was for the southbound? stoppers. I wait for confirmation or correction.

Was the down distant visible from the field? I remember the box was on the down side adjacent to the field but the distant signal would be further away. Some lads would watch/listen to the cables from the box and cry out before the peg moved.

Mike.

Looking at some photographs c1948/1953 the up platform splitting starter fitted with miniature 'pegs' and adjacent was a very tall signal with a repeater 'peg' controlling the up main. This signal was removed before my time at the field, I am told the 'clangers' cry referred to the noise made by the 'peg' returning to the 'danger' position and the 'cry remained in use long afterwards. I imagine the cry 'baby clangers' referred to the up platform starter.

Mike.

Tamwoth Field 001.jpgLooking through some of my old 1940's railway books..........still have them!...........I came across this article written in The Railway Magazine issue of July/August 1948.

Eddie

(With acknowledgements to The Railway Magazine).

View attachment 97433Looking through some of my old 1940's railway books..........still have them!...........I came across this article written in The Railway Magazine issue of July/August 1948.

Eddie

(With acknowledgements to The Railway Magazine).

I cannot get the print any larger, so it may be difficult to read. However, it says the following:

"SPOTTING" BAN AT TAMWORTH.
Railway enthusiasts who take their summer pleasure in the observation of traffic from line side or station platforms are normally the most decorous of people, and it is unfortunate that the misdeeds of a small minority - mainly irresponsible youngsters whose interest in trains is likely to be ephemeral - should have led to one of the best vantage points in the country being placed "out of bounds" to all invenile* spotters. This is Tamworth Station, where the intersection on different levels of the main lines from Euston to the North, and from Derby to Birmingham, offers a practically continuous flow of railway entertainment. In the light of the evidence adduced as to the extent of trespassing and interference with equipment, the authorities of the London Midland Region seem to have had no alternative to the imposition of the ban, but there appears to be no intention of extending it unless similar local difficulties arise elsewhere .

*the word 'invenile' is as per the book, but I believe it as a misprint for 'juvenile'.

Eddie

This should be better

Tamwoth_Field__spotting_ban.jpg

Hi

By the time I got there circa 1952 the Ban was in effect. My last spotting s were in 1960 and the Ban was still in effect on the Station.
Thats why the Field became our home for the Day. A bit hit and miss. Walking thro to the Embankment bridge then hearing the field was open.
The station today is open but no spotters just a few.

Mike Jenks

On this thread there has been talk of 'SEMIS'. I found this nice photo in my private album, of 40/50's photos,City of Bristol & Royal Warks Regt 001 - Copy.jpg showing City of Bristol, in 'Semi' condition. That is, the top of the smoke box is tapered, to allow for former stream lining. Also note that the front buffer beam is split from the main frame, unlike later Coronation class engines, that were built without stream lining.

I have added the second photo, which is of Royal Scot class, 46131 The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I thought that it may be of local interest.

City of Bristol & Royal Warks Regt 002.jpg Note the L.M.S tender.

Eddie

Hi

By the time I got there circa 1952 the Ban was in effect. My last spotting s were in 1960 and the Ban was still in effect on the Station.
Thats why the Field became our home for the Day. A bit hit and miss. Walking thro to the Embankment bridge then hearing the field was open.
The station today is open but no spotters just a few.

I started trainspotting in 1952 at the age of 12 and Tamworth was a regular Saturday morning treat. I used to go from New St Station as I lived in Aston. I really don't recall too much about the kids that were doing likewise. However, I do remember an occasion where there was a 45 gallon drum on the field. Naturally, as kids, this hunk of metal was a big attraction in between the trains. It was there for some time before it eventually got so damaged that the top became loose. Someone decided it was time to find out what was inside and threw a lighted match in it. It blew the top right off the drum and the kid with the match got burned quite bad. Never did find out what happened to him, but this was the only example of real mischief that I can recall happening in the field for the more than 3 years that I was going there. I have just found this thread and I'm thrilled that I'm not the only one that has fond memories of this great location. i still love steam, especially Staniers...

Dave A

Last edited by a moderator:
I too spent many hours spotting in the field at Tamworth in the early fifties.
I caught a train from New Street which I think was a semi-fast to York and was originally hauled by a Saltley compound and later a Saltley Black Five. Coming back I caught a stopping Derby-Birmingham train normally hauled by a Derby class 2,
46443, 46444 or 46454 around 5.30pm. It followed the 12.48 Newcastle-Bristol which roared through Tamworth behind a Derby Jubilee.
On the low level I particularly remember a down Blackpool train which stopped early afternoon and was hauled by an immaculate Blackpool Jubilee, usually South Africa, India or Kashmir.
In a full day we usually saw 5 or 6 Stanier Pacifics plus of course loads of Patriots, Jubilees & Royal Scots. Happy days.

To Mikejee:

Mike, I have found a nice news item entitled.......'Birmingham Station Redevelopment'.

This is in the June 1963 issue of The Railway Magazine (price 2/6d)!
I am wondering if you can find it, otherwise, I shall have to try and reproduce the article myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Eddie

Mike: Re posting #92. I think that this request of mine should really be under the New Street Station Thread. My apologies.

I hope you do not mind my query, and that you may have the article to hand. You did a wonderful job with the Tamworth Field Ban article, for which I am grateful. If unable to assist, please let me know.

Again, many thanks, Eddie

As a resident of Tamworth this has interested me as I spent almost every Saturday from 1958 to 192 around the station and the field. The field was closed around about 1960 when it became a caravan park. The only viable alternative was to travel northwards along Victoria road to the overbridge and then cut down a side road into the school fields for the local college and Grammar school. This was allowed for a couple of years , it meant that the two lines could still be seen and the locomotive numbers spotted. By then the electrification scheme was underway and it became more difficult to access the lines around the station. My friend Brian's dad was an Irish doctor and, as all the labourers on the scheme were Irish, we got to go in the coach used for meals which stood just behind the platform for London and the south. Wasn't that good as the High level was difficult to see but the food was welcome!! After that it became possible to walk through the caravan park and congregate the other side of the underbridge which went over the river Anker. High level spotting was possible as long as you had some binoculars. The signals were Local for the line heading into the station from the south. Main to Local for the point which transferred off the main line. Main for trains heading north.Clanger for the main line south and Baby Clanger for stopping trains and freight also heading south.Sadly I have no log for any of the days I was there. My car was stolen in 1991 and I kept my books in there to look at whilst I was waiting to pick up the kids from wherever they had been. When I got the car back they were missing. I would rather have had the books rather than the car to be honest.Still spend lots of time on trains, photographing and volunteering at Tanfield Railway. Best wishes all

Hi
Is there anyone out there who spent there Saturdays in the field at Tamworth, I would love to find out more details of the daily logs if anyone still has their old notebooks.
Any pictures as well & also memories of the cafe, the staff attitude towards us & any other info.
My mates & me used to go under the bridge by the river & tramp across the fields going over an old disused bridge to get to the footbridge further down the track.
The cries of 'Clanger', 'Baby Clanger' & Main used to ring out over the field but I can't remember what the other track signal was called, I seem to think it might have been 'Local' but I am sure someone will know.
Happy days for us trainspotters.
Cheers
Dave Rock
Hi
Is there anyone out there who spent there Saturdays in the field at Tamworth, I would love to find out more details of the daily logs if anyone still has their old notebooks.
Any pictures as well & also memories of the cafe, the staff attitude towards us & any other info.
My mates & me used to go under the bridge by the river & tramp across the fields going over an old disused bridge to get to the footbridge further down the track.
The cries of 'Clanger', 'Baby Clanger' & Main used to ring out over the field but I can't remember what the other track signal was called, I seem to think it might have been 'Local' but I am sure someone will know.
Happy days for us trainspotters.
Cheers
Dave Rock

This is how British Railways announced this to the world.

See https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwr_tam3643.htm

I used to visit the field at Tamworth quite often, allways in the big field. Got fed up with being turfed out, and as we were banned from the station it was visited less and less. The appearance of more and more "Mainliners" (class 40,s) di,nt help. Reading some of the posts brings it all back. Another popular spot was platform 6 at New Street on a Saturday. Sometimes there would be dozens and dozens of us there. Then along would come the Railway Police and tell all to move on. We would go over to Snow Hill then and pay for the platform ticket. No platform tickets at New Street. We used to travel the country "shed bashing" and never had any trouble. The world was a nicer place then. 68 years old now and still standing in fields and on the end of platforms, old habbits die hard. Happy days.

G'day Trainees, What good memories, from my school days, 1947/50, We were adventurist in them days and would set off from Doidge road, on our rickety old trikes hoping to snare some of the loco numbers on the Main lines through Tamworth 14mile down the Kingsbury road, the trip was well worth it because at school next day we were able to brag the numbers to our mere mortals who wouldn't come with us.. Thanks for the memories once again..

On his return from 'spotting' the Flying Scotsman yesterday as it passed through Tamworth I asked Parker if he's ever gone to Tamworth Fields. It appears he went regularly in the early 60's, sometimes on his own and sometimes with friends. He said 'You always palled up with someone, there were lots of people to talk to'. He then turned up this picture which, he assures me, sums up those days. He found it on google earth and it's from the site 'Tamworth Talks'. Apparently the trainspotting from the fields had to stop as some boys were found tresspassing on the line.

(I ended up on this thread via the Snow Hill one and was showing him the picture of the boys on the platform and he asked if there was anything on the forum for Tamworth Fields - I said 'no - it's not in Birmingham.' Oh, me of little faith....).

Attachments

• 45736 tamworth oct 1955 001.jpg
    45736 tamworth oct 1955 001.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 60
Yeah.. I spent a few hours in the 1950's in the field at Tamworth...came back hoarse when some good Kops had been had...... bottles of Cheethams lemonade from the cafe.... I must dig out some photos I bought from the cafe....they were taken by someone called Burrows I think...... One Shilling and Fourpence Ha'penny return from New St.... used to get there for the 9'o clock stopper...usually a good Kop....saw the Eastern region Garratt in Saltley one journey as it had been on trials on the Lickey Incline.... such happy days...

Back