• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweet and Tobacconist

ItalianNonna

proper brummie kid
Can anyone remember the name of the little Sweet and Tobacconist shop on the corner of Church Rd and Hobmoor Rd at the Yew Tree Yardley. It used to have a four cornered advertising board outside. Mr and Mrs Jones used to run it. Thank you in advance.

Can anyone remember the name of the little Sweet and Tobacconist shop on the corner of Church Rd and Hobmoor Rd at the Yew Tree Yardley. It used to have a four cornered advertising board outside. Mr and Mrs Jones used to run it. Thank you in advance.
I think you may mean the corner of Church Road and Yew Tree Lane. My mum used to spend ages there, reading all the postcard ads.

I think you may mean the corner of Church Road and Yew Tree Lane. My mum used to spend ages there, reading all the postcard ads.
In 1955 Stanley Jones was a confectioner at 124 Church Road, at the junction with Yew Tree Lane.

Stanley was there in 1953 and 1960, however in 1968 it was Finlays - Tobacconist. I looked in the Private Residents in 1953 and 1960 and the best I found was Stanley Jones, 52 Barrows Lane. Thought this could probably be where they lived.

Back