• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Park

Nice view of Wyndley Pool and a lady from another thread where discussion about hats takes place ... :)
Now what hat shall I wear for my stroll around Wyndley Pool today ? I know, the one with the absolutely ENORMOUS pom poms” ! Could they be any bigger ? Viv.
index.php

The postcode still begins with a (B) bet they forget to mention that.
Well, in addition to Sutton Coldfield there is Halesowen, Bromsgrove, Alcester, Henley-in-Arden and Solihull. Try telling then that they live in Birmingham. :laughing: All seem to have B postcodes.
When I lived in that area Birmingham was distinctly marked with its road signs commencing with B1 an finishing in the early thirties from memory.

The postcode still begins with a (B) bet they forget to mention that.

Well, in addition to Sutton Coldfield there is Halesowen, Bromsgrove, Alcester, Henley-in-Arden and Solihull. Try telling then that they live in Birmingham. :laughing: All seem to have B postcodes.
When I lived in that area Birmingham was distinctly marked with its road signs commencing with B1 an finishing in the early thirties from memory.
Bet they would not complain if they won the Postcode Lottery. I keep moving house and still had no luck.

If you live in Sutton people never let you forget it.
I wonder do Chelmsley Wood residents also still refer to themselves as living in Birmingham, rather than in Solihull? They became part of Solihull, rather than part of Birmingham during the 70s, when Sutton Coldfield was also swallowed up by Birmingham. I guess it may depend on how long you have lived in each location and what it was known as, when you first began living there.

hi folks we have allowed quite a few off topic posts since post 1657 which are not really to do with sutton park itself...we do like to give a bit of leeway if loosely connected but if we can now stick to the thread title that would be great..

thanks

the team

I wonder do Chelmsley Wood residents also still refer to themselves as living in Birmingham, rather than in Solihull? They became part of Solihull, rather than part of Birmingham during the 70s, when Sutton Coldfield was also swallowed up by Birmingham. I guess it may depend on how long you have lived in each location and what it was known as, when you first began living there.
I remember that . Yes true if you like where you live should not bother you .

I lived just outside Sutton park, boldmere gate, in stone house road. It was free to enter if you lived in Sutton, all others had to pay. There were gate keepers at gates to take entrance money and sell park maps. It was possible to drive from boldmere to streetly . The park was well maintained. I was a member of SCRCMAC and flew radio controlled model aircraft. It unfortunately all started to go wrong when Birmingham took over the park, I think it became free admission. Was this when Sutton got a Birmingham post code? The roads had to be blocked because people started to use the park as short cuts and ignoring speed limit .

On the Thread for the River Tame there is an interactive map for 2021 showing sewage discharge into rivers and tributaries. There is an entry as seen below…

Bridle Lane Combined Sewer Overflow (Severn Trent Water)…In 2021, this sewer storm overflow spilled 20 times for a total of 5 hours, discharging into the Trib Of Longmoor Pool.

Looking further there seems to be a problem (July 2022)….

“Triathletes competing at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this weekend are "at risk of swimming in raw sewage", the Liberal Democrats have warned. Data published by the Environment Agency, indicates that raw sewage has routinely been dumped into a tributary of Longmoor Pool in Sutton Park, the party said, which is connected to where the athletes will swim, while a monitor which is supposed to record sewage dumps into Wyndley Pool has not been operational for long periods of time.”

It's all down to cash and lax rules as far as I can tell. The water companies are owned by shareholders who only care about profits (which are huge). It's got so bad that I won't eat river fish any more. The companies have permission to discharge their overflow tanks in heavy rain but many haven't increased the size of their tanks to allow for increase in population and seem to do it all the time. The rivers are full of pesticides, factory waste, sewage, baby wipes and nappies, sanitary products etc. to mention but a few. Poor fish and swimmers. In the south of England we have the only chalk streams in the world and these are also badly affected.

Rant over for the time being and back to Sutton Park. The Friends of Sutton Park organise several walks a year and various talks. Have a look at their website: http://fospa.org.uk/archaeology-walks-walking-time/ for more information.

I can't speak for Birmingham, but our water authority was brought out a few years ago, by a Spanish company, and since then our costs have quadrupled??
Certainly not defending your situation but water/sewage seem to have become very expensive everywhere. When bought our first house albeit 50 plus years ago the water bill was a very small amount, not even really a budgetary item and now it is very real on a monthly basis. I understand inflation but!!!

Back