• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Superstitions

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
My auntie would never: put a sheet on the bed that had a diamond-shaped crease on it; wear a green coat; let me bring hawthorn blossom or lilac into the house; put new shoes on the table......it could be difficult sometimes, avoiding everything that brought bad luck.

My mother was like your auntie Charlie.
1) sing at your meals trouble at your heels
2) if you cross knives it is a sign of an argument
3) two teaspoons on your saucer - sign of a child coming - I don't know whether that meant you would be pregnant or you would have a child visitor.
4) If someone gives you a present of a knife you have to give them a coin, or you would cut your friendship.
5) Never give a present of purse unless there is some money in it.
6) Spilt salt is spilt sorrow, so throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder.

There were many others, I can't think of them now, but I often find myself NOT doing something I was warned would be bad luck.

Two I could never fatham out why they bought bad luck.

Never cross another person on the stairs.
Never cut your toenails on a Friday.

Maggie

I too know all of those and more only yesterday i crossed on the stairs and it made me think of that one, i think toe nails had something to do with religion and the salt is throwing it over your shoulder into the devils face. must say i try to see the logical side of life these days, but still would not challenge the unknown.
Also gloves was a parting gift, do you remember turning your silver at the new moon.

Done most of the above and smashed a few mirrors........still happy..alive and kicking...............Now I never go to bed if the inter city train is late from London and forgot to drop the cabbages off at New Street ....Why well its just an Old wives tale.........but ya never know

Two I could never fatham out why they bought bad luck.

Never cross another person on the stairs.
Never cut your toenails on a Friday.

Maggie

Toe Nails one of many Bad luck ones:Aah:

What a brilliant website, imagine if you believed all of this, I don't think you would leave the house.

Here's some I remember:

No clothes washing on Sundays
If you drop a handkerchief let someone else pick it up but don't say Thank You.
Don't cut nails on Fridays or Sundays
No May flowers to be brought into the house
Carry a Rabbit's foot for good luck
If you find a pin it means good luck

Superstitions brought to the city.

One of my grandmothers coming to Biringham in the 1860's had particular precautions against the evils of lightening. The curtains had to be drawn, mirrors covered and the front and back door openned. Aparently it was very dangerous to cross the path between the doors when a storm broke.

Her brother a woodturner, always wore laurel leaves under his cap (that seldom came off) to protect against the spirits of the wood he cut and the lightning they attracted.

Up to the 1930's it seemed common to drive animals along the streets of Balsall Heath to the butchers who had bought them. They were slaughtered round the back and then the meat brought into the shop at the front. It was thought beneficial to speak to the beasts as they went past (I imagine for the speaker rather than the pig or the sheep.)

Does anyone else remember hearing of such tales?

What amazing superstitions RobertS, it was great to read about them. And Beryl, I remember the ones you speak about, particularly the one about not bringing May into the house. Others I remember were

If you picked dandelions you would wet the bed
If you looked at a cracked mirror it would bring 7 years' bad luck.
A tickly nose meant you were going to be cross with someone.

RobertS. My gran used to take all the knives, forks ect off the table and turn the mirror to face the wall when lightning was about.

1610089702098.png A Painting of a Crying Boy Was Blamed for a Series of Fires in ...

We had a pic and also had a fire in the bedroom. makes me wonder.:worried:

Last edited:
I remember that story too. It was a mass-produced popular picture, seen in lots of houses. No idea why it was of no interest to me

Back