• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summer Lane

hi mal...i have no idea why its sometimes referred to as hockley...thinking about it i myself have not noticed that...it certainly is aston as you rightly said....

astoness

Hi Mal,
As far as i know Summer Lane(B19) and to the west of it was in Hockley,and to the east down to Newtown Row where it became Aston.
Moss.

I have had the pleasure of travelling along Summer Lane many times and never ever saw a palm tree swaying!!!!. Len.

Although Summer Lane is less than a mile from Hockley, I'm a bit surprised that it has been described as being "in Hockley". Historically, Aston had much more history than Hockley - In the Domesday Book, Aston was five times as wealthy as any of the surrounding parishes. Hockley was never a parish, and the name seems to be connected first with the brook which ran from Smethwick into Aston and then later with the area around the early bridge on the Wolverhampton Turnpike over it (which was paid for by the Bridge Trust of Handsworth, later devoted to founding and maintaining Handsworth Grammar School).
I would venture to say that any claim that that Summer Lane was in Hockley would be wrong.
Sumkmer Lane was in Birmingham right down to the Brook (which marked the parish and later borough boundary), but the influence of Aston after the New Town was developed after about the 1830s spread over the Birmingham frontier, so the area has been commonly known as Aston New Town.
It's only calling places names anyway.
Peter

thanks for all that info peter...as usual it was very informative...

hope you are well....

lyn

you have to remember that boundaries have changed over the years this includes postal addresses this is were old maps come into their own, and as Peter pointed out Aston covered more of an area than Birmingham.
So you have to remember the time line when researching.
Addresses are a funny old thing I have had several addresses since moving to Aldridge and yet I am still at the same location.
Summer Laners are so sure that Summer Lane was in Hockley, Brian Harding (The Summer Lane Kid) is adamant that it is Hockley so we have had a few discussions regarding this issue

hi john..now you know i am no expert but how can summer lane be hockley....am i right in thinking that hospital st is newtown....then hockley is further on across...i lived in villa st..quite a step away from summer lane and that was a hockly address..surely it didnt span all that that distance....

lyn

On Ebenezer's Map of 1820 this district was shown as Somers Town. It was a name that did not gain acceptance and in the succeeding years much of the Summer Lane neighbourhood was seen as belonging either to Aston or Hockley.

neighbourhood means around and about, not specifically Summer lane which was Aston

It looks suspiciously like a funeral to me,there are flowers on top of the lead coach,if so,it can't have been a local cos nobody in Summer lane had the money for such a flash send-off,at least I wouldn't think so.

Hi all,I seem to have opened up a bit of a can of worms here.All I can say is in all the time I lived in summer lane(until 1960) I never even heard a whisper about it being in hockley.All letters etc were adressed aston,the telephones were ASTon cross nos.,and hockley was always considered a different district.Still, I suppose that the people are still the same old bunch whatever district they consider themselves.Many thanks for all the comments,I will be in bracebridge st. on 29 march to see the mike hailwood run from the old norton factory,and do a bit of sight-seeing and reminiscing about the old days,cheers for now,Mal.

hi mal..no can of worms opened....this is what is so good about the forum...if we are not sure of anything you can bet that our many experts (myself not being one) will have a little debate and usually sort it out...plus we can also learn such a lot from their imput...

can you please give me some more details about the 29th march..outside the old norton factory..like what time and do you know exactly what will be happening...sounds interesting and me and me brother may pop along....

cheers

lyn

Lyn It's a funeral and has been on the site before, you can see there are six Pall-Bearers, three on each side...Cat

hi jules...some of these write up can be so misleading...as i know to my cost...lol...

i think when they state the summer lane redevopement it means the area in general....

st. silas mission hall was in nursery road just round from where i lived....heres a couple of pics i have of it...

lyn

sorry jules....senior moment....here is the other one....

lyn

ps dont know what happened there...at first only one pic came up now they are both there....

Thanks Lyn! Didn't think I remembered it being in Summer Lane but as it was demolished the year I was born I don't remember it being in Nursery Road either - lol. I did drive along Nursery Road the other day and noticed the Salvation Army Hall was still there.

Up until 18 months ago I played Dominoes for Barford Rd Social club, and we played against "The Unity". I think another two teams use it as well. Also had the presentation there when we won the league, small world eh?

tom..you must have played against me dad and brother then..my brother still plays for the unity but dad cant now due to the stroke he had last dec...the unity has now closed down and the team will now play their home games at the globe pub...

astoness

hi jules...some of these write up can be so misleading...as i know to my cost...lol...

i think when they state the summer lane redevopement it means the area in general....

st. silas mission hall was in nursery road just round from where i lived....heres a couple of pics i have of it...

lyn
we used to go to st.silas for our school dinners.when we was at st marys
school in wills street. anybody remember going there

billyboy

being new to this i,ve just been reminded that i put my request under the wrong heading, thank you so much,! im looking for the words to the song way down summer lane, any other songs, poems or ditties would be most welcome, if i,m still in the wrong forum just remind me and i will delete it, dead simple. thank you.

thanks to bren for sending me the link to john douglas and his poem on the snot nosed kids and ruffians of summer lane,[i think my old dad jack lewin and his mates would have smiled at that] a little aecdote:: a few years ago my wife and i had a hotel in devon, this couple rings the reception bell and speaking very posh asked for a room for one night.

in asking the guy dropped an aitch,?? i picked up the nuance and said, and where do yow come from then,?? the couple relaxed immediatley, ended up stopping three nights, came from somewhere of summer lane:: in the bar at night he sang some of the summer lane songs and ditty.s, including one i had never heard called the cockeral song,?? fair to say our guests,[many of whom had stopped with us before,] had a great time, i was dead proud of the guy and the good impression he made all round.

i might add, many of the hardcases and villains of that period have had kids who are now doing very well indeed, far removed from the low life and druggies around today, it was a different era, just look at the politicions around today, thanks in advance to anymore songs and dittys, i,m still after that summer lane song.

Way Down Summer Lane, With thanks to Brian Harding RIP. Len.

About the song called “Way down Summer Lane”. My husband told me it was composed by Bert Mallet who lived in Brearley Street. It was Bert who taught it to me and I took it for granted it was his song. Not many people know the verses to it, so here goes;

Now if you’re friends from the country for a day or two,
Take them round the town all the sights to view.
First in Cutler’s for a drink you’ll call, you show
Then the fountain and the Old Town Hall.
Then along Colmore Row, the car you can catch,
To see the Water Melons on the old Black Patch.
But there’s one sight you must not miss.
Before your friends say goodbye, just mention this.
You ought to see the palm trees swaying way down Summer Lane.
Every Saturday night there’s a jubilation
Hear the Birdies singing in The Salutation
Though there’s snow in Snow Hill,
You’ve cause to take the train.
To your southern home where the weather is warm
It’s always summer in Summer Lane
Now you keep on sighing for your Dad and Mam
Your Mason Dixie Line and your alabam.
You say you’ve heard your Tennesse call,
Yet you never saw Tennesse at all.
And your songs from Mandy Land have been done Brown
So let’s have a song about your home town.

being directed to the website of "the summer lane kid"i went into geneology and looked up the name of moore, according to the 1881 census, a elizabeth gardner was registered at that address aged 22, now, this intrigues me very much, my grandmother was named liz gardner but according to my reckords she was born in 1881,? could there be a mistake,? could this be my great grandmother,? i would appreciate any help, liz gardner married john [jack] lewin

Don't remember Johnny Prescott ever living in Summer Lane.
First knew him when he came from the childrens home to our school,U.T.S.Aston,he then lived in Dartmouth St.I think,he then went to Park Lane.
Last time I heard of him was a few weeks ago,he went abroad on holiday,he now lives in Mere Green.

Ray there was an article on him the other day but can't for the life of me remember which paper. I probably wouldn't have taken much notice as I hate boxing. Will have a sort out in a mo but they have probably been put in the recycling box. Jean.

Back