• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stretton Road Aston

Wow, its a great tribute to have the street name in your family. where exactly is/was the MEB premise? sorry i'm so curious.

I think I remember possibly Chester street looking quite industrial with a large brownish factory/building and rocky lane perhaps having a bit more shops and houses. but from our home on Stretton Rd to the right, it overlooked the industrial side, with the corner sweet shop. if that makes sense!!
The old M.E.B building was on the corner of Chester St,and Rocky Lane,i worked on the Chester St side,and there was a stairway inside the building that led all the way around to the Rocky Lane side.
I was given the job one day of removing the old window frames from the main building on Rocky Lane(quite high up as well).The frames were made of phosphore bronze,and were worth a few bob.

The weekend following their removal they all vanished,nothing to do with me though,i did have maybe more than an inkling who had them,but kept the info to myself.
You are correct about it being a brownish coloured building,and the walls were about 3 brick lengths thick,with brown ceramic type faced bricks on the outside of the walls.

Last edited:
Hello Lyn,
many thanks for posting these two briliant black and white pics of Stretton road. Can you or someone tell me about which year these pics were taken and which side of stretton road are pics taken from - chester st or rocky lane? sorry so many questions. reply when you can : )

Best wishes Romana

hi romana cant be sure but i would think that pic 2 was taken at the corner of rocky lane by the looks of it and pic 1 taken looking the other way.....if mike our map expert spots this post maybe he could work them out for you....i have 3 boxes of old photos given to me by the person who took them and the date on the back says taken in 1991 so just as demo started...

lyn

Romana - the views of Stretton road were taken during the demolition, which was around 1991-2. The first photo is a view from the corner of Rocky Lane looking into Stretton road towards the "L Shape" on the left.....on that corner was a shop which, during the 40's-50's, was a Grocery shop.
The second photo is from roughly the same place, just inside Stretton road, but the view turned about 90 degs......the Shop on the corner was a newsagents and was on the corner of Stretton road and Rocky lane....(there was another newsagents on the opposite corner...just behind the photographer) Rocky lane is the road in the background.....where the boards are was once the Tubes Investment factory and before that the Hercules Cycle factory.

thanks for confirming that bumbelllini..my aunt worked at tubes for many years...as a young girl i used to jump the no 8 from nursery road and go and meet her from work on a friday...we would then carry on to her house in tile cross..collect my uncle and then onto their caravan at fradley for the weekend..happy days...

lyn

Hey Lyn - where would we have been without the number 8?....I think all my family members lived somewhere along it's route! - and, with no cars, I think they must have planned it that way!!

Dave.

Hey Lyn - where would we have been without the number 8?....I think all my family members lived somewhere along it's route! - and, with no cars, I think they must have planned it that way!!

Dave.

dave im sure the no 8 took us to almost everywhere we needed to go and still running today...as you say no every family including mine had a car so it was bus or two legs lol..

lyn

No worry. wow i wouldn't have known these pics were taken in 1991 because being black and white makes them look older. but it makes sense that it would have been this date because thats when bumbellini said the demolition started. i think i've solved the puzzle of that
pic 1 (top one). as i remember, the rocky lane end of stretton road was always shorter than the chester street end. and that pic also has stretton road street sign on the left, meaning that this pic was possibly taken from rocky lane. in which case, its the one pic that shows our old family home on the top left hand corner, about a door or two down from the top left. aww its such a crying shame to see this beloved street in ruins and gone forever.
Thanks so much lyn for these photos... absolute treasure. and thanks to mike for help too.

aww such memories, oldroddy. spot on about the brown industrial building. my memories aren't too clear about rocky lane and chester street but as a kid aged between 5-7 in the mid 70s, that brownish dark building used to look a bit creepy overall. it used to look empty and deserted during the 70s.

hi romana..all the pics my friend took were in black and white to make them look older and it works i think...any road up glad you like them and if i had a quid for everytime i said what a crying shame to see some of our streets flattened i would very rich by now..thank god for those who had the foresight to grab a camera and get clicking when they did...

lyn

Robb I think she did but am not 100% sure I met Val about 10 yrs ago at a friends daughter wedding she is still married to Freddy and lives in Sutton, she hasn't changed a bit.

Bumbellini is right about the views in those 2 fabulous pics that Lyn put up. I walked down that part from Tubes Ltd to visit my Grand-parents at No.22(I think). The newsagents shown is the one I popped in to on most days. Have never seen these pics before, so, once again, THANK YOU LYN.

Dear Lyn and to anyone else, whenever you get the chance, please post any pics you got of Stretton Road. The ones posted on this site are fabulous but I'd be ever so grateful if you could post anymore. Always a joy and a bit sad to look at them. Or email to me if possible.
Many thanks for everyone's help here. R x

Picture 1is looking into the street from rocky lane picture 2 is looking from the street into Chester road

patty i was with janet and val walker last friday at a wedding of thier niece and they both are very well i am sure that janet would be pleased to hear from you if you would like me to get amessage to her let me know sorry to tell you freddy past away last year jh

You may be correct I was 7 when we left the street at number 43 and it was a long time ago but I have fond memories of the street playing kick the can with my mates managed to have a look around our house before it was knocked down

hello sorry for late reply to this. just wanted to say i've also got very fond memories of playing with friends and siblings on that road? i know how you must be feeling when you think back to childhood days. if only they could leave some roads as it was. you're lucky to been able to see your old home before that road got knocked down. i regret not visiting the place years ago. this particular road holds very precious memories of my late parents and childhood days. often think about the place. hard not to feel attached to some places and memories. if anyone has anymore photos of stretton road, i'll be so grateful to see them and if you can either post them here or to me personally.

hi guys
on the subject of stretton rd rocky lane end can some one confirm to me about that there was an off licence on the corner of stretton rd
and rocky lane aston cross end and posible confirm therewa a family or a at last a lady called masons or dodds please ;whom was the licenee
of theoff licence and opersite there was a little news agents shop right on the other side facing the off licence as you got to stretton rd ;
many thanks and happy Easter everybody ; ASTONIAN;;;;;

Hi Guys,
Me and my family lived at 20 Stretton Road in the early 70's (you can just about see No. 20 in the colour pic earleir in this thread).
Many happy times there when the streets had character.
As young kids we were always "at war" with the Holland Street gang, the next street along.
An old bloke lived next door at No. 22, Mr Morley. A right old codger.
And a few doors down from us were the Phillips'.
They were posh because their dad had a car and their son (I can't recall his name at the moment) had a Johnny Seven Rifle with all the attachments.
Such decadence !! :)

Many thanks for information I find it very interesting.
Hi Guys,
Me and my family lived at 20 Stretton Road in the early 70's (you can just about see No. 20 in the colour pic earleir in this thread).
Many happy times there when the streets had character.
As young kids we were always "at war" with the Holland Street gang, the next street along.
An old bloke lived next door at No. 22, Mr Morley. A right old codger.
And a few doors down from us were the Phillips'.
They were posh because their dad had a car and their son (I can't recall his name at the moment) had a Johnny Seven Rifle with all the attachments.
Such decadence !! :)

Chipito. This was asurprise reading your post. The Mr. Morley at No22 you mention was my Grand-dad. You're right, he was a right old codger. I used to pop in to see him & Nan some days, when i worked at Tubes in Rocky Lane. He was a right tight so-and-so. As i say, it was a nice surprise reading a post from someone that lived next door to my Grand-parents. Glad you mentioned the old street.

Definately not a "whoops" situation. As i previously mentioned, he was a right old codger. I really did think it was nice to see that a neighbour of my Grand-parents, should turn up as a member of the site after all these years. Always nice to hear anything about the good old days.

Definately not a "whoops" situation. As i previously mentioned, he was a right old codger. I really did think it was nice to see that a neighbour of my Grand-parents, should turn up as a member of the site after all these years. Always nice to hear anything about the good old days.
It's a small world isn't it. :adoration:
I never knew he had any family as I never saw anyone visiting.
But now that I'm older (though not quite as old as I remember Mr Morley being) I can sympathize a little as I'm fast approaching the age where I find myself muttering "Bloody Kids!" now and then. :rolleyes:

As i say chipito, i visited them mostly between 1964-70, when i worked in the offices at Tubes Ltd, which where at the cross end of Rocky Lane. Therefore handy for popping in to Stretton Rd.

Hi

I know its been a while since the last update but my family are from here too. My grandparents lived at No. 37 Stretton Road, Harold & Phyllis Coffin. My nan lived there after my grandad died but had to leave when they decided to demolish them. My other grandparents lived on Rocky Lane at the end of Stretton Road and owned the Barbers shop, Nellie and Horace Crossley. I remember playing in the till and pretending to cut my brothers hair but the shop was always full.

Back