• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stretton Road Aston

norridge

proper brummie kid
My grandfather & Grandmother owned a shop Stretton Road Aston in the early 19 hundreds .any information would be helpful.
Norridge

Hi All,

I lived in Stretton Road in the early 1950s. The only shop I can recall was a newsagent on the corner of Rocky Lane. I cannot recall the name if I ever kniw it.

Old Boy

There are only two names in the 1904 directory for Stretton Rd, they are
33 Wood Edwin, insurance agt,
44 Hacker James Grocer,

There was a Percival Frank & Florence Helen Norridge in 1925 at 44 Stretton Rd.
1922 they were at 16 Cromwell Square, Lichfield Rd
1927 - 1955 200 The Avenue, Acocks Green

Suzanne

Stretton Road in the 1960's
Lost photo replaced by what I am sure is the same as original

Stretton%20Road_ 1960s.jpg

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ray
That`s a fantastic picture, I never was equated with this road my Grandfather and Grandmother lived in, I`am led to believe they owned a off licence or a shop at No 44. Just a long shot do you know the house numbers in the photo?
Regards
Norridge

I lived in Stretton road in the late 40's and 50's at No 34 which, if I remember correctly, was about half way up the right hand side of the street as viewed in the above Photo - at the rear end of the Blueish A40 - it was an entry house.
I can't remember which way the No's went but, 44 would be 5 houses to the left or the right of 34 and there were no shops in that area. Stretton road was "L" shaped and the only Shops I recall were on the the junction with Rocky Lane, and on the corner of the "L" which was a Grocery shop, I think, was run by Mrs England, it may have been licensed but all I ever used it for was running errands.

Regards - Dave

If you look at the map the picture was taken nearly the "L" in road and numbering start at number 27 Rocky Lane. what Dav said would be about write

Lost Map replaced
map 1970 stretton road.jpg
Regards Ray

Hi Ray
That`s a fantastic picture, I never was equated with this road my Grandfather and Grandmother lived in, I`am led to believe they owned a off licence or a shop at No 44. Just a long shot do you know the house numbers in the photo?
Regards
Norridge[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Lyn - thanks for all the pics. specially Stretton Road and Rocky Lane areas - many happy memories! - Dave

ive got some more photos coming tomorrow dave so will look out for anymore...

lyn

Hello Ray,

I just joined this forum. Was born in Marston Green Hospital in '72 and my last school was Aston Junior school. We left (I think it was Stretton Road - an L shaped road near industrial building) in '78. Would love if you have any pics or information of this street. Have so much good vivid childhood memories of this place and of my late parents bringing us up there.

best
romana

This photo (originally posted by Ray Griffiths) is in the Coppermine Image Host at present - it has Stretton in it's file name - and the road name can be seen lower right...
Stretton2520St25201970.jpg

Thank you to BazzM (i wonder if your grandparents were around when i was living on that street in the 70s) and thank you to oldMohawk for both of your kind and helpful comments and the above pic and link to rocky lane pic. i very much hope its the same stretton road i remember. i was about 6 or 7 years old in the late 70s so my memory not too great on locations etc. that pic of stretton road above looks familiar. if i'm right that corner bit of the road opposite street sign is where i lived. just one or two doors down - maybe. it was close to the corner anyway. and on that same side i lived on; there was a small dark grocery shop which sold sweets etc, as i remember buying half pence and penny sweets and milky ways. also across the road there was one or two arches which led to peoples back gardens, yards and pathways. the road was L shaped (wrong side of L if that makes sense). is my memory serving correct so far?

thanks for this info, oldMohawk. i looked at the black and white pic of rocky lane. i don't remember rocky lane much. just wondering if stretton road is to the left - between the two shops/businesses pictured on the left hand side of pic?? also does anyone know if stretton road exists anymore. i vaguely heard from an internet pose that it was knocked down some years ago perhaps and built into something else like a complex?? thanks again. romana

Romana. Glad you got to see the pics. This is definately the street you lived in, because the pic of Rocky Lane does show Stretton Rd on the left, with the newsagent/sweetshop on the left ( I used to go in there nearly every day when I worked at Tubes Ltd on the other side of Rocky Lane. Also I was down that way about 2-3 years ago, and Im afraid Stretton Rd no longer exists. It was all small business units. So glad that we were able to help you with your search. If you ever need help with anything else on the site, just ask, there is always someone that is willing to offer help.

Romana - I believe the Stretton road was demolished in about 1992-1993 - I was born there and lived there until about 1959 - I took my Mom on a visit in 1991 as she had been told that they were renovating the area! -the street was full of painters and decorators, gas and electric vans and it looked as though they were, in fact, renovating - then just a short time after it was in the newspaper that the area had been demolished - it was later called the Aston Cross Business Park - unfortunately nothing remains of Stretton road........just memories!!

Back