• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stephenson Tower

Interesting to watch. It was a proper de-construction rather than demolition! Must have been quite tricky to ensure nothing fell on the train line or anything.

I used to work with someone who lived there. The office was in the town centre so just a walk for him but he was often late!!

Someone has done a great job with the time lapse pictures.
I work in the building opposite where it used to stand and have been taking daily pictures ( over 450 ) of the
exact same thing. It was interesting to watch the demolision, it took 6 months start to finish and they used JCB
type vehicles to 'eat' their way down the building bit by bit. The spoil was removed in skips which were lowered
by crane as it was deemed too dangerous to drop anything other than wooden items down the lift shafts. Only
when they got as low as what was the second floor that spoil was lowered via the old lift shafts and the crane was
dismantled. A lot of the spoil is being re-utilised as hard core to provide what will be the new stepped entrance
on the corner of station street where the John Lewis's building will be.

Here is a walkthrough of what the finished project is going to look like - I'm sure it's been posted here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgz0IBvT6iA

The new entrance to the station where Stephensons Tower once stood is at around 1 minute into the animation.

Ian.

The view from Stephenson Tower in 1967. Viv.

Attachments

• 18C6DFA9-3DF3-4E06-9682-9140FF913301.jpeg
    18C6DFA9-3DF3-4E06-9682-9140FF913301.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 31
Someone has done a great job with the time lapse pictures.
I work in the building opposite where it used to stand and have been taking daily pictures ( over 450 ) of the
exact same thing. It was interesting to watch the demolision, it took 6 months start to finish and they used JCB
type vehicles to 'eat' their way down the building bit by bit. The spoil was removed in skips which were lowered
by crane as it was deemed too dangerous to drop anything other than wooden items down the lift shafts. Only
when they got as low as what was the second floor that spoil was lowered via the old lift shafts and the crane was
dismantled. A lot of the spoil is being re-utilised as hard core to provide what will be the new stepped entrance
on the corner of station street where the John Lewis's building will be.

Here is a walkthrough of what the finished project is going to look like - I'm sure it's been posted here before.

The new entrance to the station where Stephensons Tower once stood is at around 1 minute into the animation.

Ian.

Didn't Noele Gordon move here after getting the boot from either Cleveland or Clydesdale Tower after residents went up in arms about her occupying a council property

No, I think that's probably when she went to live in the flat on the Handsworth Wood Road which was not a Council property.

Back