• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

Here ìs a trivia question and I hope one of you GWŔ rail buffs know the answer. Has anyone of you in steam days, seen or heard of Burton Agnes Hall and Rood Ashton Hall double heading together?
Bob
Interesting question, i suppose they could have been, where were they shedded in their working GWR/BR days?

Personally i don't ever recall seeing double headed halls pre preservation, as train pilots yes but not with another
of the same class.

Sorry my answer doesn't really help.

AnnS..

Bob

As a nonrailway buff can I have a guess and ask if its anything to do with the Lickey Incline?
In a hard back about 84E picked up in Barnstaple market I find a reference to Rood Ashton Hall "venturing up the Lickey Incline". When it wasn't heading the Shakespeare Express.

After doing a little research i have unearthed the following.

330 Hall and Modified Halls were built at Swindon between 1928 and 1950.

4965 Rood Ashton Hall was built in November 1930 and withdrawn in December 1962.

Initially shedded at Plymouth, the loco went on to Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Jnc,
Cardiff, Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford.

6998 Burton Ages Hall (a modified example), was built in January 1949 and withdrawn in 1966.

Originally shedded at Cardiff, it later went onto Shrewsbury, Tyseley, Fishguard, Old Oak Common,
Oxford then Southall, finishing up at Oxford. The same as 4965.

Now if someone can work out the number of loco's in the class times the number of years both were

in service at the same time, you might just come with a numerical possibility.

Or there again you probably won't.

To add to the confusion 4965 was believed to be sister engine 4983 Albert Hall for a number of years

which only makes matters more difficult.

HTH AnnS..

The worlds largest steam locomotives ever built were the ones in the USA called 'Big Boy' anyone been on holiday over there and seen one?
worlds biggest steam locomotive
Izzy, I live in the US and seen a few. A former colleagues son came out of university and went to work for B&O he’s still there! Not sure what their name is these says.
My magic is on the platforms was watching the Kings & Counties hammering through Snow Hill. This might be crazy but I still get a rush thinking about buying the platform ticket and hot cocoa on a cold winter day!

They made big over there, but boy are they ugly.
Ugly but big and ugly and powerful, there are some interesting films on you tube of 844s recent trip in the USofA.
Bob
Bob

4965 Rood Ashton Hall was built in November 1930 and withdrawn in December 1962.

Initially shedded at Plymouth, the loco went on to Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Jnc,

6998 Burton Ages Hall (a modified example), was built in January 1949 and withdrawn in 1966.

Originally shedded at Cardiff, it later went onto Shrewsbury, Tyseley, Fishguard, Old Oak Common,

Now if someone can work out the number of loco's in the class times the number of years both were

To add to the confusion 4965 was believed to be sister engine 4983 Albert Hall for a number of years

HTH AnnS..
Thanks, you are right with the freedom that preserved lines and railway society's enjoy, a common occurrence is to change names, even have different names either side. Saw Halls double heading out of Plymouth up Hemerdon Bank during the last days of steam, can not remember double headed Halls at Snow Hill, a Hall with a County, a Castle and even on one occasion on an up ex Paddinton King to Wolverhampton, put on at Oxford because the .......coal was not Welsh and the King was having steaming problems (later a porter told us that it had probably not had its boiler cleared properly at Old Oak shed). We did not care the Hall was a cop for us, used mainly on the Paddington,Oxford, Worcester service.

Thank you all for your comments especially the shed details, it was just one of those surreal thoughts, what a cop it wood have ben, the only two double barrelled Halls double heading and of course Burton Agnes was not a West Country location.
Bob
As a nonrailway buff can I have a guess and ask if its anything to do with the Lickey Incline?
Not really, when based at Tysely, a Lickey banker job would have been a makeweight job, but Rood Ashton is of course preserved and I think at Tysely, please correct me if that is wrong
Bob

HTH AnnS..
Something went wrong, I gave a bigger reply to the effect that name swops were not unusual and in the last days of steam, I saw double headed Halls coming out of Plymouth up Hemerdon , particularly in the winter of 63.
Bob

Last edited:
A further batch of 'Modified Halls' were constructed under the BR Western Region banner between 1949/1950.

Thirty locomotives in the range 7900-7929 were built, and of the thirty the following could consider to have

carried double-barrelled names. 7900, 7902, 7911, 7912, 7913, 7917 and 7918.

AnnS..

Ugly but big and ugly and powerful, there are some interesting films on you tube of 844s recent trip in the USofA.
Bob

Thank you all for your comments especially the shed details, it was just one of those surreal thoughts, what a cop it wood have ben, the only two double barrelled Halls double heading and of course Burton Agnes was not a West Country location.
Bob

Not really, when based at Tysely, a Lickey banker job would have been a makeweight job, but Rood Ashton is of course preserved and I think at Tysely, please correct me if that is wrong
Bob
Hello Bob,

Yes you are correct, Rood Ashton Hall is preserved at Tyseley and is certified for main line operations.

Burton Agnes Hall lives at the Didcot railway centre, but does not hold a main line certificate.

Also at Didcot is 5900 Hinderton Hall which did work a main line special in tandem with Burton Agnes

when both locomotives were certified, which was a very long time ago.

regards AnnS..

Just an aside about the "Big Boy". There used to be a 7.5inch scale railway with a very faithful model of a Big Boy much needed due to extreme gradients of track. It was at Dobwall near Liskeard but I think it went bust in the early noughties and the loco's were sold

Just an aside about the "Big Boy". There used to be a 7.5inch scale railway with a very faithful model of a Big Boy much needed due to extreme gradients of track. It was at Dobwall near Liskeard but I think it went bust in the early noughties and the loco's were sold
Sold out in 2007, all eight engines went up to Hampshire, but that railway did not survive and seven engines including the 'big boy' are now in Australia, one remains in Eastleigh. The Dobwalls attraction was based on two US railways.
Bob

Dumbleton Hall ran on the Kingswear line in preservation. I had a brief ride on her footplate during 1976, about 1/4 mile. i had to jump off whilst she was moving - no mean feat in full firefighting kit, but I stayed upright and not falling in the four foot..

grrrrr , i wish folks would NOT call just a loco a train.
The filming train featured the mockup steam locomotive, which has features similar to a Britannia class and 9Fs.
Two European style coaches were immediately behind the locomotive, and then filming equipment wagons were behind this. Powering was a GB Railfreight Class 66 locomotive.

1629620682309.png

Last edited:
Mission Impossible 7: Tom Cruise and steam locomotive mockup head to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway' (yes, a mockup, weird!) Its not a real engine, its a prop built for the movie with a diesel engine and all the various smoke generators added:(

They made big over there, but boy are they ugly.
Big boys are often quoted as being the world's largest steam locos; it's a fact that they are the only 4-8-8-4s ever built, but they are not (a) the longest, that was a PRR S1 at over 140 ft, (b) the heaviest, that was an Erie 2-8-8-8-2, (c) the highest tractive effort, that was a Virginian XA 2-8-8-8-4 or (d) the most powerful, that was a C & O 2-6-6-6 at 7500 hp. HOWEVER none of these other locos exceed the Big Boy in other respects, so it is a fairly legitimate claim to be the most impressive steam loco. Not pretty, but very impressive and it's great that one of the survivors has been restored to running order. There is some footage of it on Youtube.

viv unless ive got this wrong according to the inflation calculator £15 in 1968 equates to £266.04 in 2020 that does seem a lot to me

lyn

Mr Winkley or Mr Boosie? Did The Birmingham Post get the caption wrong? Mr Boosie was the one getting to ride the new electric locomotive according to the text.

Back