• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam and Commercial Vehicles

I know this is stretching a heading a bit but the next few are some commercial vehicles and a bit of "steam"

First up a fire service exercise outside Murdock Point ( the block was 36 metres tall and completed in 1956, which sets a date and was demolished in 2001.) I am not sure how high the ladder is as we can see the shadow of the top of it in this picture.
20211231155109_10.jpg

Final one for this evening

20220201194736_05.jpg

This locomotive was built in 1921 by Manning and Wardle & Co.

It was bought by Cardiff Corporation for use in the construction of a new reservoir at Llwyon-on. Llwyn-on Reservoir is the largest and southernmost of the three reservoirs in the Taff Fawr valley in South Wales. Construction of the reservoir started in 1912 but work was delayed after the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 resulting in the work not being completed until 1926.

It was later sold via Thomas W Ward to the Austin Motor Company at Longbridge in 1927

The locomotive became surplus in 1963 upon which it was sold to for scrap to Cashmore’s of Great Bridge. Instead of cutting it they smartened it up and presented it to a children’s playground in Duddeston, Birmingham during 1964.

This industrial locomotive stood on a plinth very near to Vauxhall and Duddeston station, on the Lichfield/Walsall line from Birmingham, through the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

It was moved to Tyseley in 1989 and has then been at a number of sites including Peak Rail, North Woolwich and by 2013 the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) at Ruddington.
Source https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/manning-wardle-works-no-2015-abernant-arthur-0-6-0st/

Just found this in a box of slides. I know the Science Museum sold this slide of City Of Birmingham before it was walled up in the Museum, I am not sure of the year but I am sure someone will know.
Just found this in a box of slides. I know the Science Museum sold this slide of City Of Birmingham before it was walled up in the Museum, I am not sure of the year but I am sure someone will know.
View attachment 167077
Shot taken in October 1966, five months after it's delivery by Wynn's.

Not a good photo but one of the earlier rallies in 1960. Viv.

View attachment 167157
View attachment 167158Source: British Newspaper Archive
!960, the first traction engine rally in Newhall Street with 7 engines taking part. A great tradition for every second Sunday in May, which saw 1995 being the last year it was held. So many wonderful memories of helping my dad and his fellow Science museum colleges at the rally and March and October Steam Weekends.

1644321386446.png
This is a wonderful shot taken by the Evening Mail in May 1978. Roadworks by the museum meant the rally had to move further up Newhall Street that year, but as can be seen from the crowds it was certainly another very busy and enjoyable steam rally. 1979 saw the event move back to it's usual slot back outside the museum.

Back