• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam and Commercial Vehicles

A couple of films showing that Steam Lorries are not slow lumbering monsters - The Sentinel S model was capable of 60 MPH, a feat few 1930s petrol lorries could equal.
I remember seeing one, a very decrepit Sentinel, on Hagley Road when I was young - a few were returned to the road during the Suez crisis in 1957.
YouTube - Sunday Steam-up
YouTube - Sentinal Steam Lorry

Here's a 1933 Sentinel 'S' type,seen regularly at a steam rally at Malpas,Shropshire.............................Mal

And here's another shot of the Sentinel, and for good measure, a picture of a Foden steamer.............does anybody know any details of the Foden ?...............Mal.

Funny little detail I remember about the Foden 'S' type is the sign on the rear of the vehicle--'WARNING-STEAM BRAKES'....................mAL.

What wonderful photo's Mary I love steam engines of any type, I think it was my Dad's influence as a child. I bet he went to town when these were there. Thanks for posting the photo's.:)

I have a few photos I took of the Newhall Street Steam Rally but since tidying up I have misplaced them - will post them if I rediscover them.

I have a dozen or so decent pictures of old lorries. I will sort them out and post them on here if that is o/k because they are not steam.

1961 ERF.
The ERF mark was established in the early 30s by Edwin Foden whose fatherwas the founder of Foden trucks. The factory was in Cheshire, they made their own chassis and cabs but fitted engines made by Dardner and and Cummins anmongst others. The company had a few ups and downs over the years but the end finally came because of the recession in the 80s.
I did drive a couple of these when my truck career began, but they were quite old by then.

1951 VULCAN.
Vulcan Motor Engineering Co Ltd was originally based near Southport. It was purchased as a going concern by Tilling Stevens who were in Maidstaone in Kent. The name became Vulcan Motores Ltd. I never drove one of these but they had one where I once worked.

Not a particularly good photo in this cutting, but a very splendid machine, and it served in birmingham. cutting from 1972
mike

Lloyd I couldn't believe the condition these vehicles were in they were immaculate. All being well we shall go again next year. It was lovely to talk to some of the owners but there was so much to take in. A couple more of steam driven water pumps etc and one was pulling a small carriage behind it. Jean.

Yesterday Thylacine at Arley by Bewdley. There was a car boot and BBQ too then back to the Harbour for another BBQ and disco. It is on every year and sometimes they have a dog show for Mongrels only. It is well worth a visit. Have some more photo's to put on of old motorbikes when I find the correct thread. Jean.

Back