• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Church Cathedral

Some more Xmas market views. From St Philip's Place and Temple Row. There are fences along St Philip's Place.

Feels odd having the market here this year!

well lets face it ell the rest of the city is in so much chaos st philips is probably the only spare space left...nice phtos ell...must say it does look chrismassy

lyn

It needs snow next month! Have to keep taking pedestrian diversions, e.g. to get to the museum, via Gas Street Basin.

Barriers around this gravestone with dates 1799 and 1857 on it.

Santa Train entrance is this way.

Cadbury hot chocolate - would prefer without Baileys!

Christmas market seemed quiet in the morning.

Hat stall seen the other day. Close to Temple Row.

Might get a chance to go inside of St Philip's Cathedral with Birmingham We Are and other photographer members of that. On the Saturday 26th January 2019. I will post photos here from my Flickr once I have them uploaded (not been yet of course is 3 weeks away).

In the mean time, here is a recent photo I took outside of ribbons on a small tree from late December 2018.

Temporary replacements while the Burne-Jones windows were removed to safety during WW2. (Image October 1939). Viv.
33EDFF61-DC59-40A1-8A47-2F3476A3FC0B.jpeg

The guided tour this morning was good. Will get the photos up when I can! So many memorials inside. Wasn't able to go upstairs, or down to the under croft. Was only allowed on the ground floor area, but was allowed to go on the High Alter.

Wow. They’re spectacular ! Thank goodness they had the sense to protect them during WW2. Viv.

Can’t quite get my bearings with this one. Is it looking towards Temple Street ? Viv.
01A03B9A-5509-4CC7-BCCA-FE07E1D1B9F1.jpeg

I am sure it is Vivienne. I am sure I used to walk up Cherry Street and after spending a while looking at the windows or what was inside of the model shop then walked up through there to get to Edmund Street. The railings were well gone by the time I walked there in the later 1940's.

Last edited:
Nice photos, Ell. St Philip's is one Brum church that I have never been inside, so nice to see what it looks like.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice, hope you are well.

We were only allowed downstairs. We weren't allowed to go upstairs or up the bell tower. Heard the views up there are nice!

Seems like they expect many foreign tourists to come in and visit! They have signs in different languages that can be picked up by visitors.

Ell,

I wouldn't call this "well", but I am recovering very slowly - thanks for your good wishes. Do they ever do private visits that allow access to other than the ground floor, or does that involve putting a large chunk of money in their coffers?

Maurice :)

It was an organised / guided tour, but just of the ground floor, and the guide briefly took us outside. I think they need a member of the cathedral to be upstairs, and that person wasn't in that day? Visits I think are free. Also the spiral staircase in the entrance was roped off.

No problem, get well soon!

they are beautiful. there was a drinking fountain with a cup on a chain. on the wall outside. it had a saying on it. what was it?

Do you mean the Angel Drinking Fountain on Temple Row?

This drinking fountain originall outside Christ Church at the junction of Colmore Row and New Street and after the demolition of the church in 1899 it was re-sited in this location.

In 1988 the fountain was restored by the Planning & Committee of the City Council, the Cathedral Close Community and Messrs Wragge and Company, Solicitors.

i dont know. all i remember is if you walked through the lewis.s buildings passage and straight on, the fountain was on the right side.
op a model shop. temple row cherry st

Last edited:
Well today that's The Minories from Bull Street, then up Temple Row. Although after a refurbishment the building was renamed The Lewis Building. The drinking fountain is opposite the House of Fraser.

thanks for pics and memories. i remember the cup on a chain and drinking from it. long before it was restored. and the saying on the book.

Attachments

• fountain.jpg
    fountain.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
The Cross of Daffodils is blooming nicely now.
A man was offering free pancakes in the Churchyard, I'm cooking mine tonight as it's Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Day!!
rosie.

I don’t have a date for this but it must be pre-1905 as it’s still called St Phillip’s Church. I suspect it’s much earlier than that date. I can’t make out the hotel name to the left. Viv.

V4FF3F2C4-645B-4DF7-933B-A64FBACE23C5.jpeg

Back