• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips Church Cathedral

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Would like to ask our experts who have knowledge of our churches and acess to the libary records ; what happenend to the grave and slab stone
that was a resting and burialy site grave that you passed when walking through the church yard from colmore row end entrance
It was registered as the smallest peron born and registered in birmingham around that period of your request
I do realize that there was an improvement to the grounds but as happenened to the person named and thee bones was they removed to another postion or not
where is the head stone now ? ,also does any body recall the little old man whom sat every morningin in the passage way whom was blind drawing pictures on the pavement in chalk in all types of weather for a penny coin he was thee for donkeys years at least from my boyhood to man hood he kept a little tiny dog with him
did anybody knew where he came from but i would have though we would keep the record of the smallest person in history of brum to show tourist on
there visit to our great church st phillips catheneral have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian;;

I hope this isn't too far off topic, her name was Nanetta Stocker, I don't know if her grave is still visible.
rosie.

I see that as they were unable to dismantle the weather vane that they have had to put the Gold leaf paper on site not the best of conditions to do it

Like this view of St. Phillip's. Not sure what the building is to the left. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1422994686.910126.jpg

Vivienne

To me it looks like what is now the Café Nero on the corner of Waterloo St, but back then was the Ocean Assurance Building on the junction of Waterloo St & Temple Row.

Another sunny day c1951 in St Phillips Churchyard, can you spot the lone male?

Attachments

• City St Philips Churchyard 1951 .jpg
    City St Philips Churchyard 1951 .jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 94
Both Wendy's and Phil's photo's have trees and shrubs. All gone now I think. Viv.

Even most of the grass has gone - great tracts of hardened soil where hordes hang out during the day - waste of all that work - may just as well tarmacked the place for the care the public gives it nowadays!
Bri

It's a shame it doesn't look so pretty now, It's hard to imagine my some of my ancestors are buried there. As Brian says a lot of the grass is dead and hardened. I have often thought there isn't much respect for the Churchyard.
rosie.

Two old views of the gardens around the Cathedral. They looked nicely landscaped, once a pleasant place to spend a bit of quiet time. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423258070.397735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423258081.642157.jpg

Given the iconic nature of the building, and its environs, it's a pity that posters on this thread seem unable to refer to the place properly. ( or am I being too pedantic?)

Belgrave - do you mean us Brummies puting 2 'L' s in it?
We do that with a lot of words - some I' best not mention - it's obviously our verbal 'eritage - like no 'H''s!!!!!!!!!

i am also a little confused as well belgrave...if it is just a case of adding 2 ls instead of one then that could just be a typo error something i quite often do.. either way the sentiment of our posters is the same..

lyn

Well if you have some "L's" to spare Bristolians may appreciate them. Some in that city add an L to the ending of some words, such as fiestal, operal and so on. I guess all places have their language idiosyncrasies. Why in Devon it is not uncommon for a F to sound as V, S to sound as Z and some place names really catch out the tourists.
Well you have two Cathedrals in Birmingham. The older being St. Chad's where an Archbishop has his cathedra and St. Philps where a Bishop has his cathedra. Yes, I know St. Philip's is the older building but did not become a cathedral until 1905.

An easy enough error as there are two ways of spelling Philip or Phillip if you like, the one "L" method being the less common I'm told is Greek which probably explains why I only have one "L" in my name as I was named after the Duke of Edinburgh. Though I have seen "St Philips" spelt both ways in many different places some of the offical.

An easy enough error as there are two ways of spelling Philip or Phillip if you like, the one "L" method being the less common I'm told is Greek which probably explains why I only have one "L" in my name as I was named after the Duke of Edinburgh. Though I have seen "St Philips" spelt both ways in many different places some of the offical.

Thank you Phil.

I'm just being pernickety in my old age- it doesn't matter really- except to the Philips of this world, of course. But ecclesiastically, I think , the name of Saint Philip, Apostle and Martyr, is always rendered in English with the single "l". This is taken from the original Greek, as you say. The double "L" rendering comes from its use as a surname.

When St Phillip's was built the funds were not sufficient to build the tower. So Richard Gough secured the funds for completion of the tower in 1725. Something which you rarely see at ground level is the weathervane atop of the tower. It has a boar's head, part of the crest of the Gough family. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 31
Back