• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Re: st peters place..broad st

Back in the dawn of time, to the right of the Antiques shop, was a theatrical outfitters that I remember from my very earliest days of treading the old boards....I wish I could remember the name of that company.

Big Gee

I can remember it was just like yesterday looking at them photos of my then would be school St Peters RC and the church where i was an alter boy and used to serve mass on a Wednesday morning and Sunday morning

Mossy

what a great picture its funny how you remember everything in black and white it looks quite modern cheers john
regards annie

this picture confused me for a moment it seemed the wrong way round as i remember we walked uo the road on the left side and your picture is the opposite, cameras then gave you that kind of deception lol
annie

i remember saint peters place very well i used to go to church every sunday at saint peters church, the church was origanally built to look like a factory from the outside due to reformation and the catholic faith was frowned upon, my sister went to the school, i used to go to the priests house every sunday, as my dad used to sell what they used to call tote tickets and the draw was every sunday after evening mass, i always went as my dad used to go to the robin hood pub in little garbett st every sunday for a few pints and was usually slightly drunk so my mom would not let him go to the priests house, i always went and got tea and biscuits whilst waiting for the draw, seeing those pics have bought back a lot of memories thanks
annie

I remember the priest house well.
A rather stern house keeper.
Father Brown was the parish priest with Fr. Hugh Montgomery and I was an an 8 year old altar server.
Sometimes I had to go to the house to get the keys to open up the church for 7:30 weekday mass.
On the ceiling just inside the front door to the house I remember were dotted hundreds of gold stars on a dark blue background.
It seemed so fitting. I would hum 'Regina Coeli'

ladywood

Hi Ladywood
In my time it was father griffiths and he was an ogre of a man he used to scare the life out of us kids, i now remember the ceiling with the stars, funny how you forget these things. my sister went to st peters school, but i went to nelson street school and to mass every sunday at st peters, and midnight mass christmas and easter, which i thought was exciting being up so late, thanks for the memories
annie

Hi John,

If this picture is looking down to the doors of St Peter's could this be Martins Place, I used to go to the school with the Behan family who lived on the right as I walked to School from King Edwards Road.

George

Hi John,

If this picture is looking down to the doors of St Peter's could this be Martins Place, I used to go to the school with the Behan family who lived on the right as I walked to School from King Edwards Road.

George

In 1952/53 I was a pupil at St Peters in Mrs. Lester's class.
I share my desk with a Margaret Behan.

ladywood

Ladywood did'nt Margret Behan have two brothers Tony and Brendan,i wonder what became of them any ideas

Mossy

I remember the priest house well.
A rather stern house keeper.
Father Brown was the parish priest with Fr. Hugh Montgomery and I was an an 8 year old altar server.
Sometimes I had to go to the house to get the keys to open up the church for 7:30 weekday mass.
On the ceiling just inside the front door to the house I remember were dotted hundreds of gold stars on a dark blue background.
It seemed so fitting. I would hum 'Regina Coeli'

ladywood

Did you know Father Montgomery was the brother of the desert rat Monty

Mossy

Hi all, I've just merged a number of threads on this topic... Some of the pic's now on the thread are on more than once... I will be removing repeated pic's (those that are on twice) at a later date for easier viewing and to re-claim much needed web-space , so more pic's can be put on of our City's history.

(If you try the search box... put St Peter's in you may find even more info' about the church and area).

Good to see older topic's renewed and bought to the fore again..

Chris/Pom.

Hi Mossy, Hi Ladywood,

There was quite a large Behan clan but i don't remember a Margret. There were, in order, if my memory serves me well - Brendan, Dolores, Tony, Micheal, Dessie, Pauline and Stephen. Dolores lives down South somewhere - Brendan lives in Harborne, Tony lives in Hong Kong, Mick lives in Four Oaks, Dessie lives in San Francisco (last I Heard) Pauline I don't know and Stephen lives in Jersey.

You may wonder how I know all this, it is because I worked with Micheal for many years on BT and visited Tony a few times while working. I have also been to a few family get togethers over the years and went to Bernards funeral (the dad).

When I was young my Mom and Dad used to meet up with Bernard and Nellie Behan at the St Peters Social club and I was in the same class as Tony at the school.

regards
George

Did you know Father Montgomery was the brother of the desert rat Monty

Mossy

I asked him about this, and he said he was a "distant cousin".
Father Montgomery was the most wonderful influence on my childhood.
Naive, forgetful, gentle, and as intellectually sharp, as a razor.
Over his confessional box was a sign that said he could hear confessions in 12 languages.
He paid one visit to our house in the 2 or 3 years as our parish priest and spent the whole time holding the 4 or 5 kittens our cat had just delivered.
He must have been 60, but he had the wonderment of a child.
He moved from St Peters to a church on or about the Coventry Road and then to be a Monsignor at a college at Oxford.
He asked permission of our teacher to take 2 pupils on the following week to do some drawing.
Roy H and myself were selected.
Father Montgomery took us to Litchfield Cathedral.
I finished my very ordinary drawing early and went to the back of the cathedral to seek out Father Montgomery.
I was surprised to see he was also drawing.
A wonderful drawing of the interior of Litchfield Cathedral.
He quietly showed me what was what was possible in drawing.
I'm sure he is dead now, I would like to know where he is buried.
I owe Father Montgomery more than I can ever repay.

ladywood

my mum marion went to st peters school (from 1952) and attended church there. her maiden name was wallin and they lived on garbutt street. her brother kevin was seven years her junior. i wonder if any of you remember the name.

my mum marion went to st peters school (from 1952) and attended church there. her maiden name was wallin and they lived on garbutt street. her brother kevin was seven years her junior. i wonder if any of you remember the name.

Sorry Tim, Your mother was just entering St. Peters as I was leaving, I'm afraid I can't recall her.

ladywood

Hello Tim, i remember your mom marion, i used to live in garbett street, and i went to st' peter's school from 1950-1956 then i went to camden st.Your mom might remember me as Breda, i also had a sister named Betty and a brother named George. Sitting, reading all these post's has brought back happy memories of the ladywood i grew up in.

Hi could I ask would this be the sub registration district of St Peters on the 1841 census.I could not read the street name but it looks to be an Irish community.
thank you from Dorothy

Is this where most catholic burials would have taken place in mid 1800's?
Are the records at St Chad's?

I was at St Peters from 57 to 63. Lots of happy memories, also served as an altar boy and in the Christmas nativity. It seems odd to visit the area now and see the symphony hall where
the school and church stood, though nice to see the brewmasters house is still there which was opposite the priests house. What I think was surprising, considering the deprivation in the catchment area (I remember it well!), was the high standard of education and the fairly high pass rate in the 11 plus.
Just goes to show you dont need great buildings and top facilities, just good basic teaching. The 1953 photo is mirror image. I had come across it before and thought it looked wrong, so I put it on the computer and reversed it and hey presto the image I remember.

Hi,
I was interested in this thread because my Grandparents were married at St. Peter's in 1901 and I found the pictures of the church and realised looking at both, one was the wrong way round, so have corrected that and also wiped the cars off the other to give it an older feel, just in case anyone would wish to use them.

Regards
Humph

I always wanted to go in there. Now I know the probable reason why I didn't.
Here's another picture of the antique shop, called 'Stratford House'.
Do you remember the glazed cart wheel window in the wall?
I seem to remember the shop was always closed!

couple of inside shots of st peters church that was on broad st...now demolished..

img568.jpg

img567.jpg

My late wifes Gt Grandparents were married in St Peters in 1857. Curiously, when they married his surname was Lehaney, but after a few years, he changed his name to Delaney. We have never been able to discover what prompted the name change.

Barrie.

edited to add; There were 7 children, the first 5 were baptised as Lehaney, the other 2 as Delaney.

Last edited:
st peters place 1921...i am assuming that the church in the pic is st peters on broad st...

lyn

stpetersplace1921.jpg

Hi Lyn, I think this one is Church Of The Messiah, as it's built over the canal. My Dad was baptised there, and also my Grandparents married there in 1909. It's a brilliant picture though!!
rosie.

hi rosie...i am afraid i lost my bearings lol...could not be sure which church it was but as you say it is a great pic...this britain from above site is great...its amazing what pics were taken of brum...

lyn

I have noticed a number of aerial photos of Birmingham1921, would any one know who would commission such pics, the Council of the day maybe, and the name of the company and what type of aircraft they used, aerial photography was in its infancy then, a follow on from WW1 aerial reconisance (?) over enemy lines, having said that the quality of these pics is excellent. Would love to know the answer to these questions. Any body know, original pics may have a company name on the back. Eric

hi eric...ive no idea who took these amazing photos but it says that if you register on the site you can zoom into them...im just going to do that now...there are thousands to view...

lyn

Last edited:
Eric
The pictures were all taken by Aerofilms , who , as I understand, took some from various people on commision, but also a lot on spec in the hope of being able to sell them. English Heritage recently bought the archive, and is in the process of putting thenm all online at https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/nmr/britain-from-above/ . the firm's origins are discussed at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerofilms
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/professional/archives-and-collections/nmr/britain-from-above/

Back