• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

Re: St Peters RC Broad Street

Lyn,

I share your sentiments entirely. I did avoid strong comments in my earlier post. Not being a resident up there I try to measure what I say about other folks home towns.

PS: Memo to Admins. We seem to have two threads concerning this subject.
Thanks for that Alan - Tip to Members: Please use search before starting a new thread.

Please see Post 10 by Lady Penelope it is quite interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, sorry for the thread resurrection, but saw this about St. Peter's on Broad st, and registered to give those with interest a heads up.

Thanks for this Mister, I have been looking for my g,g,grandfather's burial he was Italian and died in 1913, maybe he was there. Be interesting to see if Birmingham library still has the names somewhere of who was moved.

Thanks for this Mister, I have been looking for my g,g,grandfather's burial he was Italian and died in 1913, maybe he was there. Be interesting to see if Birmingham library still has the names somewhere of who was moved.

Cool, glad it helped. You have some pictures of the church in the gallery also.

I would imagine as St Peter's was Roman Catholic the records would be held at St Chads. It may be worth asking there.

s 2.jpg I promised to send this photo and lost it some time ago. It's just turned up again. It's where the burials from St Peter's, Broad Street were removed when the area was redeveloped. It's at New Oscott. Hope it works this time.

Hello, only recently back to the site - most of the photos seem to have disappeared!
Can anyone tell me when the remains from St Peters were removed to New Oscott, and what period of remains it would cover?
Ta, Brummy from Africa!!

St. Peter's opened in 1786 and closed in 1873 according to "In the Midst of Life" by Joseph McKenna. I presume this means the burials too.
rosie.

I live not far from New Oscott, hence the reason I popped along to take the photo. I understood from staff at New Oscott that the remains were re-interred during the re-development of the Broad Street area around the Convention Centre site which I think was in the 90's. It may have been the NIA. Not absolutely sure where St Peter's was. I remember reading that it was originally thought to be a plague burial site as there were no markers.

They also told me that all the remains which were discovered were re-buried by the cross but that there were no stones or markers there as these had all gone in earlier development. It is more than likely that if your ancestor was buried at St Peter's then they were moved to New Oscott.

The entrance to New Oscott cemetery is on the bend in Court Lane and the cross is over on the left at about 10pm on the clock as you enter.

ST Peters church Broad street

ST Peters church on Broad street was Demolished in 1969 and today the international convention centre occupies the site,
much of the land was scooped out to enable a walk way to be built down to the canal side, Anyone walking along it will be unaware that they are walking Through what was once the graveyard.

The Human remains in the grave yard were dug up and re-interred at Oscott cemetery,
Official records indicated there were 577 bodies to be found but 1,163 were discovered, the additional remains were thought to have been buried quickly because of a rapidly spreading disease ,some suggested it may have been the plague or cholera that caused the deaths,

,Astonian,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone. My wife’s sister was married at St Peter’s 19th March 1966. Can anyone inform me the name of the priest that possibly preformed the ceremony?

Back