• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Pauls Home Coleshill

S

Saxonw.

Does anyone know if the records for this school/home still exist ?

First post here: hello all! Have some info from Archivist at Warwick which might be of use. Sorry its rather long, in response to an email, where I asked about the school, which was separate from the Homes (Father Hudsons Homes). The school is now a small housing develepment. The "family" units at FHH have also been demolished - but the rest of the buildings remain. Haven't followed it up yet, as now live in Lancashire.

"Dear ………

St Paul's RC School, Coleshill

Thank you for your email of 20 October 2005.

The records to which you refer are school logbooks, both over 30 years old,
and therefore both available to be viewed by the public. We will ask that
you complete a Data Protection form when you request them, as the people to which these records may refer will still be alive. It is possible these
records will mention the selling or distribution of the contents of the
building as they do record the day to day dealings of the school by the
Head, however, if redistribution took place after staff had left, they will
not contain relevant information.

I wonder whether what happened to this school will be mentioned in the
Education Committee minutes we hold? My hesitancy is due to the fact that
the school was Roman Catholic, and I'm not sure how involved the County
Council would have been with the selling of the building and contents. If
they had no jurisdiction where the school was concerned, then I would
suggest you try the Archdiocesan Record Office (Catholic Church Record
Office) and ask for their advice. You can contact them at the following:

BIRMINGHAM ARCHDIOCESAN ARCHIVES
Cathedral House, St Chad's Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6EU
Telephone: 0121 230 6252
E-Mail: [email protected]

Archivist: The Rev. Dr John Sharp

The other place you might try, from a planning perspective, (if the
building changed from a school to a business/house etc, or was demolished) is the Local District Council, which I believe is the North Warwickshire
District Council.

North Warwickshire Borough
Council
PO Box 6 The Council House
South Street
Atherstone
CV9 1BG

Tel: 01827 719300

Fax: 01827 719399

We do hold some of their planning application plans covering the period you
are interested in at reference CR 2277, but because we do not have a list,
I can only tell you that Coleshill material is contained in Box 3.

Finally, you will need to visit as these records are not available online.
Everyone wishing to enter our searchroom needs a CARN reader's ticket. If
you do not already hold such a ticket, you can apply for one on the day of
your visit, but you will need to bring identification showing your name,
address and signature (we recommend a driver's licence, but we also accept
utility bills as proof of address, and something official showing your
signature, such as a bank card).

I hope the above is of some assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Amanda Williams (Mrs)
Archivist

If you wish to reply to this e-mail please reply to
[email protected]. This will ensure that your e-mail is
dealt with promptly."

Hope this helps.

Thnaks fotr all that . I think I might get in stocuch with the archivist at the archdeaconary: I'v e got relations in St Joseph's too!

Someone visited St Chad's on my behalf and they've not got St Paul's records there: any other ideas?

Hi,
I know its a few years since this thread but i have been doing some research on St Paul's House as i have a friend who was adopted through Father Hudsons at birth in 1979 and his birth mother was registered as living here despite her nationality being Irish.I'm keen to know what likns with Ireland the home had as it was seperate from Father Hudsons and is at the complete opposite end of the high street, i have found that its was run by the sisters of charity of st paul the apostle who main house is in selly park but also have a large convent in Greenhills Dublin.
Any assistance would be very much apprieciated.

Spoken with the Sisters of Charity of Sy Pauls the Apostle Selly Park who ran the mother and baby home into the 1980's for Father Hudsons who advised Father Hudons have all records.

Hi Saxonx, the records certainly exist. I was in father hudsons homes for more than 10 years. got all my personal records from them a few years ago the address to write to is FATHER HUDSON SOCIETY Coventry Road Coleshill birmingham B46 3EB tele 01675 434000 they where most helpful all my history while i there. plus what was happening before i was born. I hope this helps. mick m

Information passed down thro' the family has suggested that my father, Frank Hill, b1901, went into an orphanage in Coleshill in about 1908 when first his father died, in 1904, and shortly afterwards his mother. Does anyone know of any records available to substantiate this. Of course as this is hearsay this may be the incorrect orphanage, I know there to have been one not too far away in Marston Green.

Hello Mick Mcgrath, I was at coleshill for nine years,"your nickname if I'm correct was Sandy"
If so another big Hello
regards morris116

hello morris116, sorry for the late reply. Yes thats me sandy Mcgrath as was known at Coleshill, I see that you were there for a long time, we must know each other. Lots of water under the bridge, what was your name at St Edwards?

Hello Sandy,
My Name is stephen morris,I have a brother named Paul who was also at st edwards. We were in St Vincents house with sr marie-paul in charge. I;m sure that you are a couple of years older than me. I would imagine that Sam simmonds ,the philpot brothers,and pete sullivan (now dead),tony Joyce (now Father Joyce) were of your age group,loads more names I've forgotten now. The homes have been closed for some time ,and apart from the cottage homes which are in use for "the Father Hudsons Society",are derrilict and basically falling down .There are websites which show the currant state of collapsing ceilings,corridors etc.Private houses built where St Joans used to be,top field sold. There are old peoples(Dementia sufferers etc) bungalows built where the yard was. When in the midlands I occaisionly go over to Coleshill to have a drink with old friends.Not many left I might add. When I left the homes in 1960,I went to live in London ,so I 'm well out of touch with the " KIDS of our era. The user no attatched to my name was my number at Coleshill..I had permission to remove that number in the 1970's from the washroom,and it now adorns my door. bit of a joke realy .There is a Father Hudsons old boys group,I went to a reunion many years ago,Very snobby, They have a annual dinner each year,Hope to hear from you with some up to date news .best wishes morris116

Hi steve, I was in the same house as you , the nun in charge was sister mary paul . left the homes in 1956, you must have a good memory if you remember me. do you remember any off these names Terry Goodchild , Patrick o hara, Peter Foden Jimmy Musson, Eric Harris Dennis Docerty, and I think Jimmy Macmanus. I took my sons to see the homes some years ago, had there photos taken outside the main building, as you said all boarded up , by the way my number in the wash corridor was i think 132. talk again soon, mick mcgrath

Hello Mick.I remember Peter Foden,Jimmy Musson,Paddy O'Hara came from a big family,jimmy, bubs ,and sisters at st joans,they were all good musicians,mouth organ,and the jewish harp.Terry Goodchild I think married and lived in coleshill,sure I heard that he had died a couple of years ago,not to sure.I'm straining my brains for names.try this Malcom Tudor,antwon samuals,michael o'leary,laurence billings,charlie birch,
amhad fashell,joe grundy The only Mc-Manus I remember was Mick Mc'Manus,and he was a day boy lived at Springfield opposite St Joans .Had a very pretty sister called Noreen in our class .too posh for us lot .You will remember MR Taylor (4B) Mr Moody (music) school teachers at the central school,at the bottom of the hill .Mr Hope was the Headmaster.I went to the funerals of Father Smith,Father O'Callohagn,Sr Emerencia (Dining room). I had'nt realized you were four years older than me,but some names stick in my head.Strange to say if you visit the churchyard in Coleshill, you will see the owners of all the shops we used to know buried there. Jimmy Spencer who worked on the farm and used to cut our hair is still alive ,he married a girl from St Joans Sure you must remember Mr Medley the sports Master.He lived up by Bluebell wood..Are you in contact with any of the boys from your period there. I have three sons ,two Daughters,and at the last count 14 grandchildren,+ three Gt Grandchildren.best wishes.Steve Morris

hi againSteve, Yes I remember nearly all the names you mentioned, Mr Smedley with all his sports kit in the pavilion,still do some off his excises when I need to get fit, certainly Mr Taylor,best cosher apart from Mr Hope who could really lay it on . moved out of birmingham 1968 , 43 years in daventry 3 in cyprus, now back in england Steve you mentioned Jim Spencer, was he the boilerman who worked in the kitchens I work in there for 4 or more years . E Mailed mr Moodys son some years ago , he was looking for information on his dad. are you on skpe might be better to chat that way in future nice to talk again mick m.

Hello Mick & Morris. Reading your posts with interest.
I went to St.Pauls High School from 1961-65. I remember a Noreen McManus as head girl, although she left not long after i started.
I also remember aFather 0'callaghan.
When i was at st.pauls, Mr. Moody took art, & remembering getting the strap (as a lot of us did lol).
I have a pic taken atTrentham gardens 1962 taken by Mr. Moody of Mr.Belward, Mrs Hughes, Mr.Gander, Mrs.Hughes & Mr.holloway.
My sister wasin St,Joans Home after the war & mybrothe i think in St.edwards.
Diane

Hello Ginger
,another voice from the past I was in the (CENTRAL) school as it was then called .(1954-1960),at St Edwards (1951-1960) however after Mr Martin took over he put us all into uniform then it became St Pauls High School.I was also in Mr Moody's class.3A as I remember.He also took Music. Yes I remember Noreen Mc.Manus,her brother Michael still lives in Coleshill'. I remember MR Belwood (Sports teacher) Mr And Mrs Hughes,and Mr and Mrs Holloway. Trying to put a name to Ginger,the only one I can remember is a lad called Dawson. My last teacher was Mr Taylor (4B) I was demoted from the A stream cos I was a bit of a rebel.I still go to Coleshill when I'm in the Midlands ,couple of old friends still alive.(just) You may remember a Mick Staunton,He runs a Betting office now in Coleshill.
Best wishes hope to hear from you again.morris116

Hi Morris. Firstly, why you can't put a name to 'ginger' is because its my user name & am female lol!!!!
You obviously had left St.Pauls when i started, so the name Mick Staunton does not ring a bell.
I remember Mr.Martin forever wringing his hands for whatever reason which used to make us laugh
I also remember the girls aresa at the back of the school which we used to call 'the little girls playground' - neve found out why we used to call it that.
Yes, i still go to coleshill, in fact i am visiting my sister this saturday (she lives in hodge hill), for the day, & we plan to visit coleshill,mainly because my mother is buried there.
Diane

Hello Ginger/Diane.
Yes I remember Mick Staunton very well.,He now runs a bookies shop in Coleshill High st.Has a Sister named Mary,You may also remember the Burton twins,Sandra and Gloria Slowley.John Roach.Noreen mc'Manus.Bags more who's names have faded. I was in the A stream till my last year (Mr and Mrs Holloway,Pop Reagan Mr Bellwood Mr Moody) Mr Taylor 4b was my last teacher. Mr Martin and I did'nt get on. I used to really wind him up.Although I now live in Kent,I visit Coleshil 2 or 3 times a year as there are a few friends still living there.The Churchyard is a "who's who" of all the shopkeepers and Parents of people we both new.Best Wishes, Morris116

Hi All, Jimmy Spencer is indeed still alive and kicking, he usually comes to our St Gerards reunions, so I will mention you all to him at the next one, probably April/May time when theweather is better for our older friends.
Sue

Re Noreen. I had the privelege of sitting next to her, most classes! She was very kind, extremely attractive but took no notice of me from the romance point. Walked with her to the end of her road in Coleshill many times - but not allowed further. Don't think Dad wanted any attention, however feeble, to his lovely girl. How I pined! Wonder how she is nowadays? My name in real life - John Aherne. Left in 1963.

Hello John,
I'm trying to put a face to your name.However I left in 1960,so its a struggle Noreen's best pal as I remember was Mary Staunton, Noreen's Brother Michael still lives in Coleshill, John Roach another of her friends lived in"Springfields"not to far away.Other names I can remember are .John Webb,Sandra and Gloria Slowley,The burton twins, Winefred Grenell,
Best wishes.

Hi Morris. I started in the third form, so probably 1961. Your memory is pretty good: I remember most of the names. John Webb, Mary and Winifred particularly. There was also Sean Campbell. I think. I was at St Joans for just under a year. As for appearance: red (auburn) hair, probably fairly long, mucho freckles, typical western Irish! I seem to remember the Mcmanus family travelled each year to Westport, Co. Mayo. When my mother returned from long term hospital stay, (TB, contracted in the tropics) we left St Joans and lived in Castle Bromwich. So until the end of the 5th year, I commuted on the 161 or 163. Then into the world of work, September 1963. Birmingham Regional Hospital Board, until A levels (night school) and then Uni.

hello John,I had left by the time you were in St Joans, I was in St Edwards for nine years along with my brother Paul.Several of the Boys had sisters in St Joans, IE The O'gradys,O'Hara's,and the Lentons.One girl you may remember at St Joans was "I think Wendy Jones" she could outrun,outfight any of the lads of her own age.Think she went into the army ,saw her in uniform on a visit to Coleshill about 1964.There was another Girl's home ( St Annes) attached to St Pauls school, at the bottom of the Hill, Didn't know much about that place.Seemed very secrative. I used to,when in the midlands visit Mr and Mrs Moody,Mr and Mrs Hughes,and Mr Taylor (4b),the latter and I became very good friends later on into the 1980's. His wife was still alive two years ago when I was last at Coleshill.Two names have resufaced,John Roach,and antony cooke,
best wishes morris116

Hello Anne Smith. Many thanks for the contact information, However My Brother and have our records.
May I wish you A happy Christmas.
Best Wishes
Steve Morris

Hi, doing some research for my Dad (James O'Shaughnessy) who's almost 80. His memory is a bit vague, but he thinks he stayed in St Edwards home for boys with his two brothers (before the child abuse scandal) (or it could have been St Pauls)which was run by nuns would be around 1940 (aged 7) until he left at 15 to work. But he also remembers a school which he thinks was St Pauls, the playground was bombed during the war and shattered the glass and there used to be an orchard across the playing field/playground. I expect it's been knocked down and built on now. He remembers the names of two Nuns Sister Rose and a Sister Emerencia (don't know if that's correct) and in the school teachers he remembers are Ms Morell & 'Pop' Regan or Reagan. I can only find derelict pictures of St Edwards and nothing of the school. I do intend to write on his behalf for records from Father Hudson Homes. Any information/photos/stories from that time period would be great.

Back