• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Judes Church Hill Street

Dear Maurice these are splendid thank you very much. Is the book you mentioned "The Colours of the Day" still available.?
I am a member of the Anglo-Catholic Historical Society and hope to produce a book related to the Anglo-Catholic churches in Birmingham. St Jude's , Hill Street was a fine example. I am still looking for photographs of St Margaret's Church, Ladywood.
Kind regards,

Richard

where exactly in ladywood was st margarets

lyn

there is an inside shot of st margarets on this thread

The only St Margaret's that I know of was Ward End. Nothing of that name in my Ladywood books.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
The only St Maragaret's that I know of was Ward End. Nothing of that name in my Ladywood books.

maurice according to wiki it was in ledsam st demolished 1957..checked my ledsam st photos but no luck

Lyn,

Just checked Old Ladywood site and it is not even listed in their churches, nothing in the Ledsam Street photos either.
Also searched with Google and drew a complete blank and no photo on the tiny Wiki entry.

Maurice :)

hi maurice yes the closest we can get to a photo of st margarets is the inside shot of it that you posted on the st margarets ladywood thread...

Here's two pictures of St Jude's - copyright of a Mrs Pickstone and taken from the book The Colours of the Day.

View attachment 151264

View attachment 151265

I'm indebted to its author, Patricia A. Chapman for the following information:-

The parish was assigned out of St Martin's & St Philip's in 1845 and services were held in the National School in Pinfold Street until the building was consecrated in 1851, building work having started in 1847. The parish originally comprised slums, and nail & screw factories, largely employing young girls, and St Judes provided them with facilities to wash and a clean place to eat.

In 1905 the Society of Precious Blood, a community of Anglican nuns was founded at St Judes, initially based in John Bright Street, moving to a farmhouse at The Haunch in Kings Heath in 1909, finally moving to Burnham Abbey in Berkshire where they remain today.

There's more information in Patricia's excellent book, which tells the stories of four Birminghamham airman in World War 2 - Pilot Office Stanley Streeter of Kings Heath & former pupil of Moseley Grammar School, Warrant Officer Jim Wigall of Yardley, Navigator Harry 'Butch' Lloyd of Gosta Green & his harrowing story of life in a Japanese P.O.W. camp, and Flight Lieutenant Jack Parker of Moseley - together with New Zealander Squadron Leader Kenwyn R. Sutton's stories of the British Expeditionary Force in France. Not short on photographs or human interest.

Here's two pictures of St Jude's - copyright of a Mrs Pickstone and taken from the book The Colours of the Day.

View attachment 151264

View attachment 151265

I'm indebted to its author, Patricia A. Chapman for the following information:-

The parish was assigned out of St Martin's & St Philip's in 1845 and services were held in the National School in Pinfold Street until the building was consecrated in 1851, building work having started in 1847. The parish originally comprised slums, and nail & screw factories, largely employing young girls, and St Judes provided them with facilities to wash and a clean place to eat.

In 1905 the Society of Precious Blood, a community of Anglican nuns was founded at St Judes, initially based in John Bright Street, moving to a farmhouse at The Haunch in Kings Heath in 1909, finally moving to Burnham Abbey in Berkshire where they remain today.

There's more information in Patricia's excellent book, which tells the stories of four Birminghamham airman in World War 2 - Pilot Office Stanley Streeter of Kings Heath & former pupil of Moseley Grammar School, Warrant Officer Jim Wigall of Yardley, Navigator Harry 'Butch' Lloyd of Gosta Green & his harrowing story of life in a Japanese P.O.W. camp, and Flight Lieutenant Jack Parker of Moseley - together with New Zealander Squadron Leader Kenwyn R. Sutton's stories of the British Expeditionary Force in France. Not short on photographs or human interest.

I use to work opposite The Haunch and it’s only now that I’m learning that it was a farm. Rumours had it that it was a Covent. It was demolished approximately 1985.

Back