• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Judes Church Hill Street

St. Jude's. Tonk Street

Amanda, can you tell us which district Tonk Street is or was. The only St. Judes I know of is near the Albany Hotel, and somewhere on the site is a photograph of that church.

St Judes Church

There was also a St Judes Church in Hill St opposite the Midlands Ex Captives Club (home of the Midland Jazz Club in the fifties) St Judes Church was still functioning at this time because I worked on the organ restoration.

This is St judes in Hill St

Attachments

• St Judes Hill St bhf.jpg
    St Judes Hill St bhf.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Tonk St

Tonk St was joined on to Hill street, so its says on this map.
Look at square 31.
My Gt x 3 Grandparents were married there at St Judes.
regards
Amanda

St Judes

Thankyou Postie,
It was a long shot asking for a picture. You guys always come up trumps!!
Is it still there, if not, when did it disappear?
Amanda

That is right, Tonk Street was off Hill Street so it is one and the same St Judes. Consecreated 1846 - demolished 1971.

Sorry to be pedantic, but Tonk St WAS Hill St, not off it. Until about 1887 it was the short stretch between what is now Station Street and Smallbrook St [or Queensway, as it became when it was rebuilt as the accursed Inner Ring Road in the 1960s].
In about 1961 my dad became organist at St Jude's church and I think he played there until it closed a two or three years later years later.
As I remember the organ was up in a gallery at the back of the church - I went up there two or three times, but the place was already very much in decline, with the threat of the demolition men .
Peter

St Judes Church

That would explain why I could not find a Tonk Street on my 1902-11 maps of that area. Very interesting to read that your father was the organist at St Judes. We were putting heating elements in the pipe chambers, one day they waited until I was in the swell organ chamber, when they switched off the light, closed the shutters and started playing the organ. I was not amused.

Postie

St Jude, The patron saint of lost causes.

Nice car on your photograph,Postie, it looks like a daimler to me, i used to whizz around in one, Lady of the Manor, so to speak...Cat:)

Last edited by a moderator:
First time I've seen a different photo of the Church well done Postie.

Peter Pedantic never.

The nice Car Catkin anyone think its a Rolls Royce.

Not sure

Alf,:rolleyes: It looked like a 250 V8 to me but on a second glance i think i can see the esprit on the Radiator. Are you right yet again, flannel flannel...Cat:)

I am having difficulty opening the photos of St. Jude's church. My Gt.Grandparents were married there in 1857. at least I know it's still standing but would love a photo.
Many thanks
Sheri

OK Sheri, try this one.

Attachments

• St Judes Hill St bhf.jpg
    St Judes Hill St bhf.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thanks for the picture of St Judes church my gt grandparents were married there and my gran was christened there.

Has anyone got any information at all about this church? My great grandparents were married there on 25th December 1891 and I would love to know where it was/is and what is looks like.

Another question......... was it usual to get married on Christmas Day?

Little more on St. Jude's-Hill Street:

ST. JUDE, Birmingham (Hill St.), a building of brick in the Early English style designed by Orford and Nash, and consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, was begun in 1847. (fn. 74) A parish had been assigned out of St. Martin's, Birmingham, and St. Philip's, Birmingham, in 1845. (fn. 75) Services were held in the national school in Pinfold Street until the church was ready; it was consecrated in 1851. (fn. 76) From 1845 the living was a perpetual curacy; it became a vicarage in 1868, and is in the gift of the Crown and the bishop alternately. (fn. 77) The parish was enlarged by a further part of St. Martin's in 1885. (fn. 78) St. Jude's mission hall, Inge St., was licensed for public worship, 1888-1907.

Source: British History Online

Should have mentioned St. Jude's was demolished in 1971

St. Thomas's only has the tower remaining since it was badly bombed in 1940. Part of the grounds were made into a Peace Garden for the Coronation in 1953.

My Father attended the sunday school at St Judes Church, circa 1888 from when he was 8yrs? old and had a medal inscribed "Never absent, never late, according to the rules of the school", coincidentaly he passed away in 1971 same year that the church was demolished. Len.

I worked in St Jude's Church around 1951 when the organ manuals (keyboards) were being converted from pneumatic to electrical operation. We were installing a heating system in the organ chambers. It was thought a huge joke when one day I was locked in one of the organ chambers, they switched the lights off and started to play the organ.

Jules if you go here there is a thread on the forum on the church.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/488583/
With more pic's

NB: Just a tip... Often if you put a "Key Word' in the search box at the top of the page,there may already be a Thread, Posts and Pictures on your request, or subject (e.g. In this case 'Jude') .
The reason being that the forum has been going for many years and has covered many topics during this time. Cheers :)

Pom

Thanks for the tip POM. I did do a search but put in St. Judes and it came up with nothing. Should have just put Judes - sorry.

Brilliant, thanks for those pictures. My gt gt grandparents who lived on Suffolk Street and Severn Street were married there in 1898.

Appreciate these pictures - my grandparents were married there in 1902.

Back