• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Judes Church Hill Street

Little more on St. Jude's-Hill Street:

ST. JUDE, Birmingham (Hill St.), a building of brick in the Early English style designed by Orford and Nash, and consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, was begun in 1847. (fn. 74) A parish had been assigned out of St. Martin's, Birmingham, and St. Philip's, Birmingham, in 1845. (fn. 75) Services were held in the national school in Pinfold Street until the church was ready; it was consecrated in 1851. (fn. 76) From 1845 the living was a perpetual curacy; it became a vicarage in 1868, and is in the gift of the Crown and the bishop alternately. (fn. 77) The parish was enlarged by a further part of St. Martin's in 1885. (fn. 78) St. Jude's mission hall, Inge St., was licensed for public worship, 1888-1907.

Source: British History Online

Should have mentioned St. Jude's was demolished in 1971

St. Thomas's only has the tower remaining since it was badly bombed in 1940. Part of the grounds were made into a Peace Garden for the Coronation in 1953.

My Father attended the sunday school at St Judes Church, circa 1888 from when he was 8yrs? old and had a medal inscribed "Never absent, never late, according to the rules of the school", coincidentaly he passed away in 1971 same year that the church was demolished. Len.

I worked in St Jude's Church around 1951 when the organ manuals (keyboards) were being converted from pneumatic to electrical operation. We were installing a heating system in the organ chambers. It was thought a huge joke when one day I was locked in one of the organ chambers, they switched the lights off and started to play the organ.

Jules if you go here there is a thread on the forum on the church.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/488583/
With more pic's

NB: Just a tip... Often if you put a "Key Word' in the search box at the top of the page,there may already be a Thread, Posts and Pictures on your request, or subject (e.g. In this case 'Jude') .
The reason being that the forum has been going for many years and has covered many topics during this time. Cheers :)

Pom

Thanks for the tip POM. I did do a search but put in St. Judes and it came up with nothing. Should have just put Judes - sorry.

Brilliant, thanks for those pictures. My gt gt grandparents who lived on Suffolk Street and Severn Street were married there in 1898.

Appreciate these pictures - my grandparents were married there in 1902.

Re: St Judes Church

The organ from St Jude's is now being removed from Claymore School, Dorset and our church in Exeter is currently raising funds to have it installed there.

Hi telegraph_reader,

Any idea why Clayesmore are getting rid of it? Is it getting too expensive to maintain? No mention of it on the Clayesmore website.

Maurice :cool:

Telegraph_reader:

Thanks for that information. For those interested in the St Jude's organ, there are details on page 8 of that site or just use this link here:-

https://www.stmichaelsmountdinham.org.uk/page8.htm

Nice to know it is going to a good home! I'm currently trying to ascertain the status of the pipe organ in the now closed Punshon Memorial Wesleyan Church in Bournemouth. It originally resided in Shire Hall, Dorchester, and was still looking for a new home a few weeks ago. It would be nice to see that find a new home too as all my children were christened in that church.

Maurice :cool:

Hi, any chance of the photos of St Judes Church being re-posted. My mother was married from there so would love a photo of it. Her photos didn't come out so were taken elswhere.

my 4x grandmother emily middleton was born at no 12 tonk street in 1849 would love to see any photos if any
thank you josie

hi poihipi
if you put in photo of st jude church birmingham in google you will get some up my ggrandmother and ggggrandmother was both married at st jude church josie

HI, I only get the RC St Judes not the one on Hill ST which was part of ST martins in the Bull ring. I have spent hours looking but have come up with nothing so let me lnow if you find a photo as I would love one to show me where my mother was married on 1939.

Back