• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Gabriel's Italian Church Deritend

My shots from yesterday of Fred Baker Ltd

Fred Baker Ltd, Park Street (former pub The Duke of Cumberland) by ell brown, on Flickr

Fred Baker Ltd, Park Street - sign of Fred Baker Ltd by ell brown, on Flickr

Fred Baker Ltd, Park Street - doors by ell brown, on Flickr

Opposite was 90 Park Street - now Taboo Cinema Club - know anything about this building? Certain sections are bricked over.

Taboo Cinema Club, Park Street by ell brown, on Flickr

Taboo Cinema Club, Park Street - sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Ooo Matron! A saucy picture house? Twas the Cinephone for risque films in my day. But anyway, this photo of Park Street in the olden days must have been near this old? renovated building?

I know this may be a stupid question, but I remember Deritend Bridge very well, and this photo has probably been on many times before, but those Gates look too much like an entrance to a big House rather than a river. Any one know what was there, if anything, before ?

It looks from the 1889 map that it was then just a yard. The gates don't seem to be marked, but I don't think they usually were
Mike

According to my book about Birmingham Pub's, there used to be a Hope & Anchor on Edmund Street. Until that end of Edmund Street was raized for the Paradise Forum complex.

Midlands Pubs - Birmingham

The Hope & Anchor Edmund Street.

Phil

CityTheHopeAnchor-1.jpg

Dennis a photo of the bridge & gates from the other side, obviously before they made the culvert deeper to stop the flooding.

Phil

DeritendTheReaBridge1935.jpg
[

Thanks Mike and Phil. Sure you are right, but they just seemed so incongruous stuck there over a bridge. Usually it is a wall that stops you falling in, not a pair of beautiful looking gateposts.

Got it from WH Smith in the Local Interest section. May also be at Waterstones in their Local Interest section.

The WH Smith on Union Street or Waterstones in the Pavilions was what I used to get my books.

Great photo of a lovely little old building! Thanks, Elliott. I now have an irresistible urge to know what the old sign says! :thumbsup:

Thanks Thylacine!

Would be nice to know what it says under there.

For some reason, Google Street Maps didn't go down here (it just skips from Fazeley Street to Bordesley Street).

In 1973 17-18 New Canal St was Birmingham Dogs Home. Whoops - don't think I will try the restaurant if I'm passing . I don't think i fancy terrier kekab

Here's an interesting old building in Alcester Street. Any idea what it was?

I've just wandered all the way down Alcester Street on Google Street View, just in case the building in that picture was still there. I don't think it is, but it was a very interesting "walk" indeed: some lovely old pubs and churches, and even some elderly warehouses. The second half of the walk was dominated by a nice long shot of the Romanesque basilica that this thread began with!

The neglect of the Fox & Grapes at the junction of Freeman St & Park St is a tragedy. Google shows the ground floor to be boarded up. Here is the listing, which indicates the pub to be late 17c or early 18c. So much for our Georgian heritage. Does anyone know what is currently being done with the building?

In 1973 17-18 New Canal St was Birmingham Dogs Home. Whoops - don't think I will try the restaurant if I'm passing . I don't think i fancy terrier kekab

Remember going to this magical place Mike when I was about 9 with my dad to get a new Alsation after our old Carl died. This is what we came out with for ten bob (well it was black and tan and seemed like a bargain). Andy Williams. The scourge of Stechford and South Yardley. Chaser of buses; anyone with a rolled-up newspaper (he hated those); and water rats. I see his progeny all over Stechford to this day. Not too fussy with the ladies was Andy... My best mate. I know. Sliding off topic again, but I could't resist....sorry Jim.

To amend what about this great shot of the old Camp Hill Flyover. Great vista of the Deritend of my youth. The pub was out of bounds to us schoolboys of course as we trudged up the hill to the Asylum, but I'm sure some of you might remember it.

Last edited:
The neglect of the Fox & Grapes at the junction of Freeman St & Park St is a tragedy. Google shows the ground floor to be boarded up. Here is the listing, which indicates the pub to be late 17c or early 18c. So much for our Georgian heritage. Does anyone know what is currently being done with the building?

Passed it yesterday and it looks so forlorn and isolated. Everything around it is 'cleared' and looks ready for new 'developments'. It was boarded up with metal window shields and fenced off. Rotting. No chance I thought. There was also an ominous looking crane and bulldozer parked in the yard of that magnificent Victorian Triangular building at the bottom of Albert Street. My heart lurched. Don't hold out much for that one either Shirley....boo sob. Vandals.

If I remember right the Camp hill Flyover was erected in a weekend as a short term problem solver lasted 30 years. Dek

Passed it yesterday and it looks so forlorn and isolated. Everything around it is 'cleared' and looks ready for new 'developments'. It was boarded up with metal window shields and fenced off. Rotting. No chance I thought. There was also an ominous looking crane and bulldozer parked in the yard of that magnificent Victorian Triangular building at the bottom of Albert Street. My heart lurched. Don't hold out much for that one either Shirley....boo sob. Vandals.

Here is a Bing Map pic of the two buildings a few months ago for those that may wonder what we are on about...

Dennis
Bing tend to be rather behind the times (compared to Google), so was probably a bit more than a few months ago
Mike

There was also an ominous looking crane and bulldozer parked in the yard of that magnificent Victorian Triangular building at the bottom of Albert Street. My heart lurched. Don't hold out much for that one either Shirley....boo sob. Vandals.

That triangle, they will be building a hotel called Hotel La Tour

The site yesterday, sandwiched between Masshouse and Island House

Site of Hotel La Tour at Masshouse - Block I and Island House by ell brown, on Flickr

Passed it yesterday and it looks so forlorn and isolated. Everything around it is 'cleared' and looks ready for new 'developments'. It was boarded up with metal window shields and fenced off. Rotting. No chance I thought.

There is this image of the Fox & Grapes on Heritage Gateway - Images of England.

Fox And Grapes Public House

All those surrounding buildings have since been demolished.

So sad that there is so much of our Georgian heritage deteriorating in this way, Dennis. Thanks for the update. I love the character buildings to the right of your Camp Hill flyover photo.

Just to cheer myself up Shirley, how about The Rainbow - still standing on the corner of Adderley Street / High Street after nearly 230 years of carousing. And the building next door that has been redeveloped by some genius to the same Victorian standards as was. My titfer is being tipped to him if he would like to reveal himself - I think he lurks on this Forum? I wish there were more lile this enterprising soul, and I wish him every success, and I guess there would be a good few on this site that also might agree with me.

Back