• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Gabriel's Italian Church Deritend

sheronb

master brummie
According to the army pensions my great grandfather James Henry battle was married here on the 16th April 1911, by the parish priest!! Now looking at this site:

https://www.bham.de/index_churches.html

I can see no mention of a RC St Gabriels??? does anyone know of it?
This family was before James Henry, church of England, and his brides family, Louisa Hinkley, I am trying to find out why and when they became Catholic.

Hi sheronb

Found this today at B,Ham Library

No 372.!6 April 1911
James Henry Battle full age Galvanizer 10c 5h Barn St.
Father Bernard Battle Galvanizer.
Married.
Louisa Hinkley (minor) 10c 5h Barn St.
Father George jones ? Hinkley. deceased. Striker
Witness's Sarah Hinkley (signed own name ) and Gillian Harper marked with X

Hope this helps.

Steerboy.

Hello Steerboy, many thanks for this!! Where did you find it? Does it say which church they married at? the father for Louisa, I have as Thomas Hinkley who died 1898c, I hope that is just a mistake;)

Hi Sheronb

I found your details while researching my own people at St Gabriels church Barn St Deritend/Bordesley.
The church as far as I am aware is C of E and it was favoured by many Boatmen as they lived local and was almost next door to Bordesley Wharf.
Unfortunately it was bombed during the WW2 and destroyed completely and as a consequence even the old records are either burnt or singed making them hard to read but in your case they were in good order.
Did you note that it shows Louisa's father deceased?.
Also I noted a Bernard Battle born 4 Dec 1887 parents Richard and Ellen he was Galvanizer and they lived in Barn St

So I must say I think the info is correct

Good hunting Steerboy

Hello Steerboy, thank you for that! The WW1 pensions stated they were Catholic, needs some more digging that, as they didn't marry in a Catholic church!

Louisas father, was dead by the time of her marriage, but is Thomas, not George, I have her cert, as for Bernard born 1887, thanks i didnt have him, Richard is Burnard, he changed his name as the feeling took him, I think, buts it's the correct family.

Many thanks for the look up, it was most kind of you.

My mother's parents, John Sheldon & Florence Butler, married in 1905 at St Gabriel's church in Barn Street. They then lived at 1/54 Leopold Street, Aston; does anyone have any photos or memories of this street?

Thank you, Graham.

Hello.. bombed 1n 1941, and not a picture to be found...:(
My family lived next door in early 1900...
Any help or info would be great
Cheers Simon.

Here is a picture from 1934 which , I think, shows St Gabriels in the distance to the right
mike

Attachments

• Digbeth Barn St Gabriels  1934.jpg
    Digbeth Barn St Gabriels 1934.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 48
Hi folks, anyone know what the heck this building in Central Deritend was, or anything about its history? I must have passed it a bezillion times in my life and always pondered its function....thanks.

It appears on maps between 1905 and 1916, but the first/only description on the maps is in 1952, when it is "warehouse"
Mike

It looks very Italianate, but I don't think its a water tower, and its difficult to see what you might 'store' in a big fancy tower like that. Odd. Very odd. Thanks anyway Mike.

As this area was known as the Italian quarter up until the middle of the last century, I always understood that this was an Italian Church built by subscription by the local community. I sure that very little research would show this to be true.

Phil

I can easily see why, but there is no road or street or even a path anywhere near it, and no photos of it in any of the books I have on old Brum, and thats over 50 now. You'd have thought there was SOME reference to it somewhere Dek. A lot of my oldsters come from Milk Street, Coventry St, Little Ann Street, and so do my Missuses, but no one ever mentioned it. I will try and get hold of Chinny, see if he knows owt.

Two maps of the area showing 2009 and then in 1901. There doesn't appear to be any Church or specific building listed on or around where this building is in the old map, and I doubt this building was built after 1901, although I could be way wrong. I will keep plodding on...

Here you are Dennis. ---You walk past a row of four shops. Look above the shop frontages to admire an attractive red brick and terracotta facade, the work of J.H.Hawkes and Son in 1906. The adjacent pair of shops [divided by the entry] were erected in the mid-19th century. The next building is deceptive. It was formerly the St Edmunds' Boys' Home. Behind this is the architectural oddity [pictured to the left]. Featuring a fine Roman campanile, the structure was built privately as the chapel of a hostel for working boys by Father John Lopes. He was an Anglo-Catholic clergyman who in 1915, before the building was finished, joined the Church of Rome. The small basilican church was never used for services. Indeed, it has always served secular purposes. Continue to the next row of shops. These were built around 1860. Notice the street sign that marks the boundary between Deritend and Bordesley, both parishes were originally part of Aston and not Birmingham. Rebuilt with Gothic elements, The Rainbow was rebuilt in the mid-1870's though a pub of this name has traded on the corner of Adderley Street for 200 years or more. For much of the 20th century, the pub was operated by Atkinson's brewery of Aston

Can't see a picture, am I supposed to? But the narrative is fantastic John. I can rest in peace now. You are a scholar and a gentleman Sir. Mind how you go in them Brighton Pubs, I always get royally ratted with all my great mates from the Royal Sussex (ex Brighton General) labs down there when we troll down a few times a year....

Dennis I did a quick search, I believe it has been discussed before, but cannot remember when.
I got this from the Anchor Inn website.
When you have a pub in the family like myself (WAGGON and HORSES ) you don't do much pub crawling.
Kind regards John.

Back