• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spencer & Abbon Fuel Merchants

rogergirling

proper brummie kid
Howard spencer started up this company in B`ham around about 1900 posible in the Aston area but not certain.
Does anyone no of this company and any information about it or the owners ??
Roger

rogergirling, Spencer, Abbott fuel merchants no longer exist, they also had a boats building business on the Fazeley to Bimingham canal which is also does not exist. Len.

Thought they used to be down Tyburn road (spencer abbott). Think they used to be a Esso Authorised distributer, seem to remember them when I worked at Esso Bromford.

You are most probally correct as it does sound more likely. I entered the name as it was given to me.
Do you have more information on the company you suggested ?

1904-05 Spencer & Co. coal factors, 50 New street
1908 Spencer & Co. coal factors, 14 New street
1912 Spencer H. & Co. coal factors, 14 New street & coal merchants, Soho Pool wharf, Whitmore street
1913-15 Spencer, H & Co. Limited, coal factors, 14 New St; Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley.
1921 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley.
1932-33 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley & Salford
Bridge wharf, Tyburn rd. Erdington
1936 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Salford Bridge wharf, Tyburn rd. Erdington
1937-49 Spencer. Abbott & Co Ltd. coal & coke contractors, Prudential buildings, 5 St. Philip's place 3
1950 Spencer. Abbott & Co Ltd. coal & coke contractors, Prudential buildings, 5 St. Philip's place 3 coal merchants, Windsor street wharf 7 & motor body builders, Tyburn road 2
1955-56 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. Fuel distributors & Commercial motor body builders, 51 Tyburn road
1962-73 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. Fuel distributors & Commercial motor body builders, 51 Tyburn road
Spencer Abbott (Petroleum) Ltd, Landor St.
Kellys directories only go up to 1973

In th early 1900s there was also a spencer Bros, at 148 Albert Road, Handsworth, coal factors. Don’t know if there was a connection.
Mike

rogergirling, mikejee has deliverd the goods as he always does Thanks Mike. Len.
1904-05 Spencer & Co. coal factors, 50 New street
1908 Spencer & Co. coal factors, 14 New street
1912 Spencer H. & Co. coal factors, 14 New street & coal merchants, Soho Pool wharf, Whitmore street
1913-15 Spencer, H & Co. Limited, coal factors, 14 New St; Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley.
1921 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley.
1932-33 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Soho Pool wharf, Hockley & Salford
Bridge wharf, Tyburn rd. Erdington
1936 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Limited, coal factors, 5 Lower Temple street, Windsor Street wharf & Salford Bridge wharf, Tyburn rd. Erdington
1937-49 Spencer. Abbott & Co Ltd. coal & coke contractors, Prudential buildings, 5 St. Philip's place 3
1950 Spencer. Abbott & Co Ltd. coal & coke contractors, Prudential buildings, 5 St. Philip's place 3 coal merchants, Windsor street wharf 7 & motor body builders, Tyburn road 2
1955-56 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. Fuel distributors & Commercial motor body builders, 51 Tyburn road
1962-73 Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. Fuel distributors & Commercial motor body builders, 51 Tyburn road
Spencer Abbott (Petroleum) Ltd, Landor St.
Kellys directories only go up to 1973

In th early 1900s there was also a spencer Bros, at 148 Albert Road, Handsworth, coal factors. Don’t know if there was a connection.
Mike

Spencer, Abbott were fuel dealers and part of the business operated from Tyburn Road (just where the Expressway starts). My father worked there for a short time but left because of illness. He was working on the building and repair of Barges (narrowboats for the moderns). I visited there on several occasions and was facinated with the place. They launched the 70 foot barges into the canal sideways. On the Tyburn Road side the water was inches deep. Also working there was a friend of my father, Frank Hatton from Brantley Road, He was the head boatbuilder. He also assisted the Birmingham Association of Boys Clubs to raise a sunken barge, which was restored with his help and volunteers, of which I was one. I had several weekends out in Worcestershire over the years. This boat went to London via the Oxford canal for the Festival of Britain in 1951. Sadly my father died in the last hour of 1950 and Frank Hatton quite a few years later. The company also repaired the Birmingham Parks rowing boats.

HI, I’ve just come across this thread as I was looking for information regarding Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. Pension scheme, haven’t got very far with it.
I worked at Spencer, Abbott & Co. Ltd. as a Commercial motor body builder, they were based at 51 Tyburn road Erdington. I started August 1975 as an apprentice, at that time they had two distinct sides to the business, one being housed in the old building which did conversions and modifications to Land Rovers, the other being situated in the first newer industrial unit next to the old building, which was the commercial body builders, I stayed with the company until September 1982 when they went into liquidation, the business which was run by a guy called Terry ? did reopen a few months later under a new name of Portland Commercial Bodies, which was in Portland Road Aston. By this time I had moved to The Midland Red Bus company in Edgbaston.

Anyone interested in Villa's history will know that Howard Spencer was one of the club's greatest servants as a player, the first to captain England, and director. He is buried at Little Aston church. The company would have been prominently located at Salford Bridge Wharf where the Birmingham & Fazeley, Tame Valley and Birmingham & Warwick Junction canals meet at Salford Junction.

Attachments

• Howard Spencer.jpg
    Howard Spencer.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Salford Bridge Wharf.jpg
    Salford Bridge Wharf.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 7
Back