• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sparkbrook Club pre 1900 up to around 1960

barrye

proper brummie kid
Hi people of Birmingham, I am doing a project about the old Sparkbrook Club 1900/1960 ish when I think it closed down. I know the president of the club in 1907 was a William Adams JP, but apart from that I am struggling. I have a members list of some 35 names, which I am not sure I can publish, but can either yes or no if ask. Any pictures, would be appreciated and of course as much info as possible. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks Barrye. PS I did open a blog on this subject as well.

As a addition to this, I have names of winners of a Billiards Cup , played at the club. Mr W Mckenzie 1948, Mr H Sayer 1949, Mr A Walker 1950, Mr R Parker 1951, Mr H Shipway 1952. Surely some of these names might get some body thinking

Last edited:
Was this the one at the junction of Stratford Road and Warwick Road? IIRC a white painted house with a low garden wall at the front and then through an archway into the car park.

I was a member there (I think) for a period before it closed down, and that would have been in the early 70's.

Thanks for message Ken, will do some map searching and perhaps Google the area. I have information this club was where a lot of Billiards and Snooker was played, Hence the list I have, are all cup winners. Thanks for the lead.

Sorry. I'd presumed you knew where it was. Hazy memory and I can't even remember if, in those days, the junction was controlled by a roundabout or traffic lights. Coming out of city, on the left, it must have been almost virtually the last premises before the commencement of Warwick Road. I can't even remember the name of the pub that stood at the junction.:culpability:

From a motoring perspective, two junctions were very similar. That junction and then further along the Stratford Road, the junction with College Road and the College Arms. And both seemed to be altered almost in tandem.

Speaking of the area, earlier this year, on a brief foray back into Brum, babysitting the two Grand kids + one other, after a costly visit to Borch Electrical. The missus took a liking to a gas hob.:stupid: I managed to find a parking space near to Mushtaq's. How that has changed! When I asked if they still did Fish Pakora, the response was a somewhat confused, "No, Sir." I then explained that it had been at least ten years since I had last visited. Hence, I settled for a Kilo of Chicken Pakora.

Chomping away as I returned to the car, and setting off, I offered the purchase to the three 'not quite' ankle snappers in the back.

Urgh. Was the first response, until each tried a bit of their own. In the end, I was lucky to get anything back for myself.:tranquillity:

Bloody kids.

Great story Ken. My Dad worked in Sparkbrook. I wonder if he went to the club sadly he died when I was 15 in 1969. I don't remember him mentioning the club. I hope someone comes up with some memories or details of the club.

Great story Ken. My Dad worked in Sparkbrook. I wonder if he went to the club sadly he died when I was 15 in 1969. I don't remember him mentioning the club. I hope someone comes up with some memories or details of the club.[/QUOTe

Thanks for the few names Wendy, will search through the list when I get back into the area.

Barrye

I do know that there was a snooker hall on the Walford Road, Somewhere close to the old Masque Ballroom, and opposite the old Waldorf cinema. This would have been just after WW2. I remember our mother telling us to "keep away from the snooker hall". The only pub that I remember at the junction of Stratford Road and Warwick Road was the Mermaid Hotel. Where, as a young musician, I played my first "gigs". Around the late forties I delivered newspapers to many of the shops between Stoney Lane and Formans Road, and I cannot remember a snooker hall along that section of Sparkbrook. There may have been a hall further on towards Sparkhill. Who knows?

The one I talked about was not a Snooker Hall per se. It was more of a Gents Club where Snooker, etc, was played.

Ken is correct it was the building just before the Warwick Road junction and after the Piccadilly cinema, my mate was a member at the time it closed down. I will see if I can find some details of its closure on that site. It continued as a traveling social weekend away club for the last of the members, until all the funds where spent. It took about 10 years to spend the club funds and no guests where allowed as their swarrays where completely free of charge, hotels, meals, drinks and travel arrangements.
I do wish I had been a member. The only concession is that the all male members could take the wife or someone similar, nudge nudge!!

You have just ignited a part of my brain that I had forgotten. Just past the Piccadilly cinema was a gents outfitters - Burtons? Above the shop was the Co-Op hall, where, during war afternoon tea dances were held, I used to sit and watch a small trio of musicians. After the war the hall became a youth club and I often visited there. I now recall, very close to that was a club of some sort. That must be the building you are thinking of. Was there also a bank next door to the Piccadilly car park? Its been over 65 years since I was there, so my apologies.

You have a great memory Norfolk. If I recall the Piccadilly. the bank, the outfitters then the Sparkbrook Club slightly set back behind a stone wall with a long frontage.
I wonder if Phil has a photo?

Sorry Bob no photo, the one Berniew has posted is much better than anything I have , but I can tell you that the club was located between the Mermaid Chip shop and The Co-op. We were offered the premises by the owner in the late 70's for a depot although there was plenty of room at the rear for our lorries we would have had to demolish part of the building to gain access and that wasn't to be desired.

Probably not what you are thinking of but there were snooker rooms within Farm Park, Samson Road, Sparkbrook in the 50s. My grandfather used to 'look after' me while my mother went shopping.

Back